Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Dave M

Default Anchor Shades

Notice in West Marine catalog a Anchor Shade. Its like 6'X6' pop-up umbrella. Does the forum have any experience with these. Don't have a bimini
top so I thought of trying this.

Thanks

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Senter Cove Guy

Default I Have One

It works really well. I usually place it in the middle of the boat and use the 4 ropes to hold it in place. It will sway back and forth as the boat rocks but we've never had it collapse.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
AC2717

Default picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy
It works really well. I usually place it in the middle of the boat and use the 4 ropes to hold it in place. It will sway back and forth as the boat rocks but we've never had it collapse.
Would you be able to supply a picture? I am interested in this as well. I do not have a Bimini top either, just a camper top.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Phantom

Dave --

If this is what you are reffering to --

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&classNum=null

We have had experiance with them -- They are quite good and are very easy to put up & take down. Storage may be an issue as they are as large as a collapsed table umbrella. This could be a consideration if you have a smaller boat.

The only negative that we found is that they do not handle WIND very well. I'm not talking about a soft breeze - but if the wind kicks up they begin to be a challenge. We've had one actually invert (much like a rain umbrella) and bent permantly one of the supports. For 60-70% of your needs it's a GOOD DEAL !!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Dave M

Default Anchor Shade - more info

Yes Phantom, this is what I was interested in. I've read the reviews at West Marine website for the one you linked to and Taylor Made has made a newer version of this so if your ordering, beware. They specifically responed to the feedback(wind breakage,etc). I will probably get mine at West Marine because they mentioned about the updates in the description but will call to verify having the latest. I'm getting the blue one due to exactly matching my Taylor Made covers I have now. I have a 20' bow-rider with a full bench seat in back, storage is not a problem. Will try to find a retail store that has it rather than ordering online. You also can get them at the following places but it may not be the latest.

BoatersWorld.com
Go2marine.com
Amazon.com

Thanks for the feedback, Enjoy.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
jceria

Default As long as it isn't windy

We have one, have used it a few times. Works well while anchored, unless windy.
It's basically a $160 umbrella.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Phantom

Dave --

When we were using ours, we too had a 20' bowrider -we have since moved to a 24' bowrider with bimini (can't beat a bimini).

Anyway, on our 20 footer, we found the best spot to set up the Shade umbrella was forward in the boat i.e covering the bowrider section, leavig the rear sundeck exposed, yet open to shoal activities of getting in and out of the boat easier without ducking or disturbing the umbrella.

It's a relatively inexpensive investment to try out for a season or two -- If you like it - I'm sure you'll be investigating an add on bimini for the long run --
Old 08-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Ropetow

I never heard of the Anchor Shade until reading this thread. Went to West Marine in Portsmouth yesterday morning. They had them for $169. I said their web site had them for $149. The cashier said in the future if I brought a printout of that page, they would honor the Internet price. I said 'wait a minute' ... went out to my truck, brought in the printout and the price was now $149. Handed the cashier my BoatUS $20-off coupon, and took it home for $129. Used it yesterday on our bowrider and it worked pretty good. Not sure I'll try it today in this wind! The feel-of-fall is here!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote