Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
pats fan

Default Great place to live or vacation but......

If you look around the Laconia area there is a lot of commercial property that is now empty and available for lease. It just confirms that this is a great place to vacation or live but a difficult place to own a profitable business.

The Dodge dealership across from Bonanza has been vacant for at least a year. The Burger King property is still vacant, and the Fitzgerald Motorsports building is for lease. HK Powersports built a nice new building and now has their old building for lease too. Weirs Beach Citgo closed for the winter because it was so slow. B Maes building has been for sale for quite some time. Mr. Fireplace is out of business. Paugus Diner is going to auction. The Car Craft building is for lease.

The Handy Landing General Store was never open last summer and now there are two bedroom condominiums being built there. I stopped in to look and they appear to be really nice and have a good view of the Channel. One of the construction workers said that they are being sold with a boat slip. It is sad to see one more business go. The store has been a fixture in the Weirs for over 50 years.

It may be somewhat a result of the current economic conditions but times are changing and the Laconia area is still a tough place to run a profitable business.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
M/V_Bear_II

Not that it affects your overall point, but the Dodge dealership didn't go out of business. Chrysler contracted many dealerships to increase the profitability of those it left alone.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
GTO

Default Mr Fireplace

The phone message at Mr Fireplace says they are under new management and are closing for a couple of weeks but will re-open
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
kjbathe

Default Depends on the business?

I think most businesses would argue that it's hard work to be profitable no matter where you are. I believe Handy Landing was sold by the Binette's a few years ago, and then closed after a year or two under the new owners. I'm not sure if that reflects difficult business conditions, or experience of the folks operating said business.

Burger King closes, but not for lack of business. That sounds more like a property dispute. T-Bones and Cactus Jack's seem to be thriving. Willow's is gone, but Michael's seems to be doing well in the same location.

The former Dodge dealership has been a revolving door for about 30 years... But the gas and appliance dealer across the street has been there as long I can remember.

Boston Seafood is gone, but is reportedly being replaced by a Sushi place. Surf Coaster is closed, but the Go-Karts and batting range across the street are expanding and adding bumper boats.

Mr. Fireplace seems to be a unique and unfortunate case related to unforseen demand and supplier issues, but yes, it's gone. Shaw's, TJMaxx, Lowe's, Gilford Mobil, WalMart, Dunks, Waldo Peppers, TD BankNorth... They are all relatively new additions but seem to be doing fine in the same immediate area. I do miss the Big Banana.

There is a seasonal aspect to business in the Lakes Region to be sure. But one could argue that every Mall in the nation is a "seasonal" business that doesn't reach annual profitability until sometime late in Q4.

I'm not sure the Lakes Region is necessarily any easier or harder a place to be profitable than other locations. Businesses just need to work with what they have. And good businesses weather our always-varying economic conditions.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The phone message at Mr Fireplace says they are under new management and are closing for a couple of weeks but will re-open

Damn...

Long story...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Silver Duck

I sure hope that the more optimistic posters are right! It's been kind of a nervous winter wondering how many of the businesses we enjoy patronizing won't be there this year when we get back.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
angela4design

Default Mr Fireplace

I have a pretty good source that says Mr Fireplace is done for good.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
pats fan

Default You are not correct, you should apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Pirate View Post
The same gent that owns the Weirs Beach General Store property also owns the old Waldo Pepers/Sushi Mart and trailer park across the street. Local rumor has it he has filed chap 11. Just local rumors though, I will apologize if it is not true.
It is also rumord that the grey building behind the General Store/Condos will be torm down this spring, sad because it was the first place I lived on the lake when I relocated back in the late 80's. Mr.Bertholet use to be my landlord, he has since noved on for certain reasons.
That's all we need is more Condos right? As long as it keeps NH sales tax free whatever.
God bless Sid, he had the right formula to be a long term survivor in this on and off tourist economy.
The Citco will reopen soon, it just cost the owner more to stay open all winter than it cost to close for five mounths out of the season just like every one else that owns a busines in the "As the Weirs Turns" soap opera.
I know the man that owns the General store and the property that was Boston Seafood and he has no financial difficulties and is doing quite well. He is currently at his winter home in South Florida and comes back to his waterfront home on the lake in April. He also owns a lot of other rental property in several towns near Boston. He was in town for a couple of days two weeks ago to check on the construction progress.

Two different parties who rented the general store over the last 5 years both went out of business at that location too. One of them had over 30 years of retail experience prior to operating the Handy Landing store. Several years ago he also ran the Citgo store too. So the person that thought it was inexperience is not correct either.

Over the last several years, the Citgo and Willows both lost a substantial amount of money each winter. The owners of the Citgo decided it wasn't worth it to stay open to lose money. The owner of Willows decided to give up because it took him most of the summer season to make up for what he had lost during the winter.

Last edited by pats fan; 02-14-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling error
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Channel Pirate

Default My apologies

Just repeating whats being said around the neighborhood, so I do apologize and I said I would becase I know how rumors are around here.

Does anyone want to start a pool on the longevity of a sushi bar ? Just like Ice Out, closest without going over.

Last edited by Channel Pirate; 02-14-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Whant to make it clear
Channel Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
dykg

If businesses cannot make it year round then why the increase in development in the Weirs area? I just don't understand it unless more and more people are living year round there.
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
phoenix

i agree that the sushi bar could be difficult to survive given it is a speciality that many wouldn't go to
Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Increase in Development

The increase in residential development goes back to the subject and point at the beginning of this thread. It is a great place to live or vacation, but tough to operate a profitable business.

You don't see a lot of new commercial development in the Weirs Beach area. What commercial development you do see may have a negative effect on existing businesses. (Think Channel Citgo vs. Cumberland Farms) There is only so much to go around.

The residential development is still moving forward, though not much is selling. Maybe, many years from now, when the residential base is substantially larger, the need for more businesses will be there.

If you draw a 10 mile circle around any business, that is where 90% of your clients will come from. If you look at the population of the greater Laconia area and compare it to, say, suburban Boston, the number of potential clients within that 10 mile radius is quite different. Add to that fact, that the Weirs Beach area population for 9 months of the year is substantially lower than an area that is not so seasonal. And, during the winter months people are much less likely to leave their homes and spend money than people in warmer climates.

Someone wishing to operate a profitable business in the Weirs Beach area needs to draw on a very small base of potential year round customers or come up with a business plan that will be profitable with only 12 good weeks a year.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Anyone know how's vacation home sales doing at Meredith Bay, formerly Akwa Soliel, and located in the Weirs? Last year, Laconia rebuilt the old. bumpy road below Meredith Bay and close to the water into a very nice new, smooth road.

Today's Laconia Daily Sun has Lakes Region Real Estate Report on page 19.

It talks specific homes and prices.

41 Havenwood Drive, Laconia
4 bed, 2 1/2 bath colonial, .42 acre
asking $249,000, assessed for $316,630

3 Cyrus Lane, Gilford
3 bed, 2 bath ranch, .41 acre
asking $119,000, assessed for $220,400

23 Serenity Lane, Meredith
4 bed, 4 bath (?), 3.94 acre
asking $497,360, assessed for $767,100
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
MTyo

Owning a business in the Weirs has always been challenging. Unfortunately, this is a tourist area & highly seasonal. Although there is a great base of year round locals in the area that try hard to keep all the local businesses afloat, there is only so much to go around. We can't expect them to go to every place & spend their hard earned money when things are so tough for everyone right now.

Tilton BB is right. So many of the new developments & condos are 2nd homes to out of state people. The area may seem to be growing & thriving but those people just aren't here all the time. So many of the places are for sale or being forclosed upon. (as pointed out with the daily sun ads below) Nothing is selling right now. Local realtors are having a tough time with an overload of properties to sell & just not enough buyers right now.

It makes you sad to drive around Laconia & see all the businesses that are for sale/lease or that have just put up closed signs & don't know if they can re-open. So many places that have been Weirs Beach staples for years are just dissappearing (ie: JT's, Dakota Leather, handy landing).

I guess it's just a sign of the times. But as i've always been told, things will come full circle in due time. Hopefully it's true. There are some amazing hard working people that own businesses in this area & I would hate to see anymore dissappear.
MTyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
I have a pretty good source that says Mr Fireplace is done for good.
It was kind of a "sloppy" place when I ventured in just before Christmas.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Anyone know how's vacation home sales doing at Meredith Bay, formerly Akwa Soliel, and located in the Weirs? Last year, Laconia rebuilt the old. bumpy road below Meredith Bay and close to the water into a very nice new, smooth road.

Today's Laconia Daily Sun has Lakes Region Real Estate Report on page 19.

It talks specific homes and prices.

41 Havenwood Drive, Laconia
4 bed, 2 1/2 bath colonial, .42 acre
asking $249,000, assessed for $316,630

3 Cyrus Lane, Gilford
3 bed, 2 bath ranch, .41 acre
asking $119,000, assessed for $220,400

23 Serenity Lane, Meredith
4 bed, 4 bath (?), 3.94 acre
asking $497,360, assessed for $767,100
MB has a home at the very top under construction; terribly windy location, and as far as I can conclude there is very little consideration to orientation for even a little solar gain!

The Serenity Lane site must be one of the two homes at the very top of that hill off Parade Road. Are these three foreclosures, or advertisements for sale? Reads like a for sale advertisement.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #17
fatlazyless

It certainly does not read like any of these are foreclosures so they must be "for sales" listed on the MLS with a full service broker.

"So what's out there for good deals in the New Year? After a spin around the MLS system, here are a few more choices to look at if you are in the market for a potential deal."

LaDaSun Feb 14/Roy Sanborn-Lakes Region Real Estate Market Report
Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #18
fatlazyless

"Local unemployment and bankruptcy levels a little on the high side for N.H.

From the back page of yesterday's LaDaSun, a short 5 paragraph report says "the rates of unemployment in both Belknap County and the city of Laconia are amoung the highest in he state." And, that does not count people like me who got canned from their truck driving job but do not apply for unemployment from the state.

"In December the unemployment rate in Belknap County was 4.9%, second only to the 6-percent in Coos County amoung
the ten counties."

Oh well, one cannot compare Belknap to Coos County, two very different ecomomies. About 12 doors up the road from my place, a large waterfront house is being built. The old house was demo-ed and a much larger one, all modulized, prefabricated construction, is going up fast, and has a setback of just 20' from the shoreline..............very nice looking house built by Flanders Construction, and Wallace Prefab from Danbury, NH. The old house had a fire about a year ago.

I thought the waterfront setback for Meredith was 65'. How they get around that?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"Local unemployment and bankruptcy levels a little on the high side for N.H.

From the back page of yesterday's LaDaSun, a short 5 paragraph report says "the rates of unemployment in both Belknap County and the city of Laconia are amoung the highest in he state." And, that does not count people like me who got canned from their truck driving job but do not apply for unemployment from the state.

"In December the unemployment rate in Belknap County was 4.9%, second only to the 6-percent in Coos County amoung
the ten counties."

Oh well, one cannot compare Belknap to Coos County, two very different ecomomies. About 12 doors up the road from my place, a large waterfront house is being built. The old house was demo-ed and a much larger one, all modulized, prefabricated construction, is going up fast, and has a setback of just 20' from the shoreline..............very nice looking house built by Flanders Construction, and Wallace Prefab from Danbury, NH. The old house had a fire about a year ago.

I thought the waterfront setback for Meredith was 65'. How they get around that?
Did they leave a wall of the old one standing? Or is there a replacement exemption for fire damage?
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
DueSouth

from today's citizen:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...920/-1/CITIZEN

... not exactly "..everything your heart desires ..."
DueSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
Did they leave a wall of the old one standing? Or is there a replacement exemption for fire damage?
Interesting questions...don't know...cannot see any old walls?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #22
fatnoah

I grew up in Laconia and it's sad to see a lot of the businesses I knew going, going, gone. I worked at Funspot for a couple years when I was in college and we used to send everyone looking for an ATM to Handy Landing since that was the closest one at the time.

My mother is one of those dealing with the Mr. Fireplace mess, but at least now she knows why they don't return her calls. They started some work installing flue liners and left her with soot covering every square foot of her basement, a couple holes in the chimney, and no cap on the chimney so she gets water in the basement when it rains.
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
jetskier

Post Darwinian

There are clearly a number of businesses that deserve better than this economy. However, in some cases, the economy is culling out the problems. Mr. Fireplace happens to be in the later category. We had all kinds of problems with them when they installed a propane fireplace insert. They were unbelievably expensive and the quality of the service/installation was awful. I heard that ownership treated their employees poorly and that likely accounted for the poor customer service.

I hope that your mother is able to resolve the chimney liner issue, I would be inclined to find another installer to take care of the issue.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
jmen24

Default Grandfathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
All you need is a foundation wall or site plan on record and you are grandfathered for the set back of an existing lot. You do not need to leave anything standing at all (take her all the way to the earth). In fact the new shore land protection act makes the tear-down-rebuild so much easier if you stay in the footprint. We bid to build a house on Lake Sunapee that was approved with only 55 square feet of the 7,500 sf footprint conforming. All you need is an application for a variance. Now back to your regular scheduled thread. Sorry for the hijack.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueSouth View Post
from today's citizen:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...920/-1/CITIZEN

... not exactly "..everything your heart desires ..."
I am glad these scumbags are going down, but I feel for the people that are getting screwed in the process. They trashed my house and did a terrible job on my install, on top of other issues. It was a total of $8k+ in damages/repairs/redo. I had my day in court, I got about half of it after lawyers fees.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #26
jetskier

Post More on Mr. Fireplace

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...903/-1/CITIZEN
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #27
dpg

"I am glad these scumbags are going down"

Codeman: Don't hold back go ahead and tell us what you think...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
"I am glad these scumbags are going down"

Codeman: Don't hold back go ahead and tell us what you think...

Trust me, I was holding back...