Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
nj2nh

Default Summer Jobs for Teens

Although I live in Jersey, I have hopes, someday, of spending the entire summer there with my boys. (And hope to relocate permanently sooner rather than later). Just wondering if there are a lot (any?) summer jobs for teens other than in restaurants. Can't see my kids working with food and wouldn't want to jeopardize anyone lives by letting them. LOL.

Seriously, though, do the HS kids work in the summer? Go to camp? Just curious, but with a purpose.

nj2nh
Old 04-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
ghfromaltonbay

Default Summer jobs

I know a few of the kids whose parents lease for the summer at Sandy Point have had jobs as baggers and cashiers at Hannafords. 2 other boys got jobs at the golf course in Wolfeboro and 1 worked at Lakeport Marina as a go-fer in the parts/service department.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
jmen24

Well, it really depends on what they want to do, as there are limitations on work under age 18 and 16.

Someone under the age of 18 cannot step above the first rung of a ladder, operate a power saw, operate a power nailer or any form of heavy equipment, unless it is a farm, then anything goes. This is for construction work only, that is what I know so I thought I would share.

They also cannot work past certain time on a weeknight during school sessions, but I do not think this applies to your situation.

Someone under the age of 16 is even further restricted in addition to what is listed above, but it mostly has to do with hours worked.

When I worked at MB we had kids that would come in on the weekends and work 4.75 hours on each weekend day, bagging and shagging, that was all they could do. MB would hire 14 and 15 years olds for these positions and only on the weekends. During the week, the hours that they are restricted to does not require additional help, while the weekend are busy start to close.

Under the old ownership the race track would employ kids down to 14 to work race weekends. I seem to remember when I did it that it was 8 or 9 weekends through the season, with the two big weekends expanding into Thursday and Friday. Did not seem to be any restriction on hours at the time cause I would work from 6:00am to 6:00-7:00 depending on the day. I was 15 at the time. Some jobs there are better than others, but they usually hold a hiring blitz around this time and then select from the people that applied. They paid about $7.00 per hour at that time, 13 years ago, which was a few bucks more than minimum wage. Again it depended on what you did.

I know the lumberyard near us has a 12 year old (my neighbors kid) that works there on weekends for 3-4 hours a day doing mostly cleaning and helping stock.

My advice would be to check around at local retail shops, landscape companies, etc. Basically the type of work that the teens would be interested in doing and see what you find. I will not speak for all companies but I know we enjoy taking in a few kids during the summer to help out and as long as they put the work in and show up they have an invitation back every year, even in the vacation periods of college.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The biggest advice for anyone looking for seasonal employment in the area during the summer, is to start looking early. Some place take applications in the fall for the following summer. Jo Jo's Country store take this tactic, or at least did. The other thing that helps is to get to know some of the local business owners. Having a personal in, is a big advantage too.

Last but not least, maybe teach your kids a lesson in owning their own business. Depending on their ages, there are many things they could do. Their is a lot of money to be made by an industrious teenager and a lawn mower.
Unfortunately these days you do want to make sure there business model includes liability ins.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Meredith Hannafords

Had a job fair last weekend. I went and expected a lot of teenagers. To my surprise there were a lot of 50's and up who are retired or laid off.

I think there will be a lot of competition with the current economy. Where is FLL?

With a job fair last weekend the kids better start early!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Channel Pirate

Exclamation Summer Job's

If your kids speak broken english and don't mind minimum wage they would have no problem finding summer employment at the Lake
Channel Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I think there will be a lot of competition with the current economy. Where is FLL?
Working in a Hannaford's...I'd probably loose my temper when someone doesn't immediately know what they want to purchase, and smack the customer over the head with a loaf of bread, or something.

What I want to do is to become an ice road trucker and drive a 20-wheeler big rig Kenworth with a Cat 575-hp double turbo-charged diesel, haul'n an overload tanker 15000-gal diesel fuel, out over the frozen salt water ice up north of the Canadian arctic circle.

Work'n at Hannaford's-Meredith couldn't compare to that!
boat_guy64 (04-16-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Working in a Hannaford's...I'd probably loose my temper when someone doesn't immediately know what they want to purchase, and smack the customer over the head with a loaf of bread, or something.

Work'n at Hannaford's-Meredith couldn't compare to that!
Less, reading your description of what you would be like working at Hannaford's made me laugh, because it brought a memory back.

You might do the shopping world a favor FLL.

When I was an assitant at MB in high school, I got a friend of mine a job with me in the front end baggin' and shaggin', this was not his preferred style of work. Well about two weeks into his employment on a Saturday afternoon (very busy) he started bagging a customers order. Part way through that order the customer stopped him and barked at him that she wanted paper not plastic and demanded that he remove the items from that plastic and put them into paper bags. He started in on removing the items from one bag, stopped looked at the customer, told her where to go, turned around and walked out the door. Never came back. Boy I was mad at him at the time for doing that, cause I got it from my manager, but we still laugh about it whenever it comes up. I would be willing to bet that that woman does not speak to people in that type of position anymore.

My wife brings home stories of people running her over in carts, pinning her against cases, then giving her a blank stare and walking off. Had a guy knock over a complete display of food in her department last week with one of the powered carts and kicked the product out of the way so that he could proceed with his shopping.

Last edited by jmen24; 04-20-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Cool Star Market in Gilford

Worked at the old Star during the 70's. Certainly have my share of rude customers and 'gleefully' give in to their demands.

Sometimes a demand is a tough one to swallow. Like the old lady that always tell you to: 'Put them all in one bag, but down make it too heavy'.

I've also met some of the nicest customers. My favorite was the wife of Capt. Goodhue. She was a sweetheart.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
WinnDixie

Default De ja vu!

[QUOTE=BroadHopper;124699]Worked at the old Star during the 70's. Certainly have my share of rude customers and 'gleefully' give in to their demands. :rolleye
__________________________________________________ _

Wow...I shopped at Star all the time in the 70's...I'm sure you bagged groceries for me...I gotta say ,wouldn't have occured to me to complain...about bagging! Remember how it was all those big brown paper bags then, too? Lord, I am OLD!! Star was in its heyday then...busy place and I kind of miss it! One thing I noticed lately (maybe not so much right now, but three or four years ago when I visited) was that there were A LOT of people from Europe bagging groceries at places like Shaw's in Gilford. I wonder if they are still competing with local teens for jobs?
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
WinnDixie

Default Hey BroadHopper!

Had to get back on because I thought of something awful...did you guys get tips back then at Star for helping one out with groceries?? Do I owe you a bundle?? Because I sure the heck didn't think of it back then...or probably have much $$ left when I exited the store anyhow! Am I one of those cheapskates who didn't tip?? Yikes!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Rinkerfam

It's gonna be tough for teens this summer all over. The unemployment rate for their demographic is 20%.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Worked at the old Star during the 70's. Certainly have my share of rude customers and 'gleefully' give in to their demands.

Sometimes a demand is a tough one to swallow. Like the old lady that always tell you to: 'Put them all in one bag, but down make it too heavy'.

I've also met some of the nicest customers. My favorite was the wife of Capt. Goodhue. She was a sweetheart.
Broadhopper, 100% correct, so many more nice folks met doing a job like that, than the stories I shared. Most folks are get in, get out and move on.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
fatnoah

I worked at Funspot for a couple summers and it was a pretty decent place to work. Since I was a local, I already knew a number of my co-workers, but there were also a fair number of here-for-the-summer types that worked there as well. I definitely liked it better than working for Hannaford.
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
Pineedles

I worked summers at Robbins in Centre Harbor, and the nice thing was I commuted with my 14' Sears aluminium boat with the 14 hp Scott engine getting me there in no time. If you are going to be on the lake, see if kids can find a job that lets them commute by boat. Maybe one of the marinas that need kids to detail boats, pump gas, etc. That way you won't have to drive them to work.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
My wife brings home stories of people running her over in carts, pinning her against cases (the red coat she wares apparently is not bright enough), then giving her a blank stare and walking off. Had a guy knock over a complete display of food in her department last week with one of the powered carts and kicked the product out of the way so that he could proceed with his shopping.
As society continues to progress down the selfish, me first attitude path that it is going down. Stories like this will be more and more common place. People don't stop to think anymore. They just want to get on with their agenda and the dam with anyone else.

I believe that on a whole, people are getting more and more inconsiderate and rude.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Also commuted to work by boat

For the three summers that I worked at the Old Country Store in Moultonboro, I commuted in my 14' Sea Nymph aluminum boat (which we still use today), with an 8 hp Evinrude, and docked it at Lees Mills, where we had our car parked and I drove to work. Much shorter commute than driving all around into town. I spent my lunch hours in my boat in middle of lake, sun bathing, reading, and floating with the loons. Those were the days, my friends!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
offmycloud

Have them get a job at a gas dock. I did when I was thirteen (Arey's) and it was a lot of fun. If you have boys they will meet lots of chicks. I would not let my daughter work at a gas dock as they will meet too many guys.

Another good job that teaches them about hard work is bussing tables or dishwashing. Again, not a good job for daughters for the same reason above.

A girls' camp counselor is probably the only decent job for girls available. You have to limit their exposure to the public.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote