Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Wildbird

Default Sunday's Weather

Hi all. I was wondering, does anyone know what the wind velocity was early Sunday afternoon? And, maybe, can anyone tell me the average size of the waves in the broads? The reason I ask is, I was out in an open 19 foot boat then and the ride from Moultonborough Neck to Ames Farm was pretty hairy. I'm still a novice at this boating thing and have a hard time estimating the size of the waves. Thanks, Wildbird
Wildbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
DRH

Default Sunday Wind

We recorded a high wind speed of 36 mph early Sunday afternoon in West Alton. It was averaging about 25 mph for most of the day.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #3
Bear Guy

Default Other NH windspeeds

The UNH weather station in Durham recorded a maximum wind gust of 27 mph on Sunday. The afternoon mean appears to be about 14 mph. (See graph below).
WeatherUnderground reports a maximum windspeed of only 22 mph Sunday at the Manchester Airport.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Rose

According to the National Weather Service's Automated Surface Observing System at the Laconia Airport, sustained winds were 10-20 mph with gusts ranging roughly between 25 and 35 mph.

Sorry, but I can't help on the wave height question as I was 100 miles away at the time.

Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
B R

Default wave height estimates

i was out both Saturday and Sunday. Sunday we drove from Paugus to Tuftonborough Neck. The largest waves probably reached 4 feet. the average was probably 3 feet. these are my best guesses, and guesses only.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
robjnh

Default Mount Crusie

We were out on the Mount Sunday from 10-12PM. Having spent many years on the ocean I would call the seas 2-4 feet with an ocational rouge wave near 6.

I was on Winnisquam on Sat and took my 21' ski boat from the southern part of the lake 7 miles north to my dock. It took me over an hour and I was soaked from head to foot. I would like to thank the 24' bowrider that I tucked up behind on the way up (150' benind of course). I have never seen either lake as rough as it was this weekend.

Monday made up for it all. Great day on the water......

Last edited by robjnh; 06-04-2004 at 02:40 PM.
robjnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:23 PM   #7
kchace

Yup, was out Sunday and it was close to "as rough as it gets" so don't feel bad that you had your hands full. I agree that it was about 3-4 footers. When its like that I try to minimize my exposure by staying up the north end of the lake. (I launch up there too)

The trick in a smaller boat (like yours or mine - I have a 20') is to go at the right speed, a bit above idle to get the bow up and "stiffen" the ride so you can steer well and don't bob like a cork, but no faster.

The additional concern with an open bow boat is that if you stuff the bow into a wave, you can take on a hundred gallons of water in an instant. Its yet another reason why I prefer a cuddy. If I stuff the bow of my cuddy, 95% of the water rolls off the bow, the other 5% lands in my wife's lap after coming up and over the windshield. Hmmm, maybe a bowrider *would* be better. :^)

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote