Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Kracken

Default A good ride spoiled…kinda

Our maiden voyage of 2010 lasted less than a mile. We were passing between Smith Point and Sleepers when I noticed the engine was running a little hot. I looked back and saw…smoke...a lot of smoke. Just a few minutes into our first ride, we were dead in the water, the hatch open and smoke billowing from the stern. Fortunately it was only the impeller and not a fire.

I called our friends and gave them our location, it would be 20-30 minutes before they could reach us.

While we sat there adrift, I noticed at least a dozen boats passed by within 300 feet and not one offered assistance. While we were not looking for any, I was amazed how we were ignored.

Once our friends made it over we tied off the boats. We were preparing to tow back to the ramp when 4 cruisers came around the west side of Sleepers and passed between us and the Smith Point markers. The cruisers were about 50 feet apart from each other and passed us at no more than 75 feet. The four of us stood there trying to keep our boats from crashing into each other. The wakes were big enough to knock several items overboard and they now are located at the bottom of the lake.

After towing the boat back to the ramp and loading it on the trailer, my plan was to drop the boat over at the nearest marina for repairs and we would have to wait until next weekend. When we arrived at Fay’s Boatyard, I explained the problem to the gentleman at the shop and that I wanted to drop the boat off and pick it up next weekend if it was ready. The guy looked at my wife and 6 year old kid and said: “let’s see if we can’t get you back out there today”. In less than 45 minutes the boat was repaired and tested and my family and I were on our way back to the ramp.

Thank you, Fay’s Boatyard.

Oh by the way… they charged us ˝ hours labor and $30 for the impeller.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kracken For This Useful Post:
Cal (05-25-2010), secondcurve (05-25-2010), Smitty1 (05-25-2010), SteveA (05-26-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Lake Fan

Sounds more like a bad ride, saved!

Kudos to Fays for getting you back out on the lake so quickly.

Nuts to the Captain Boneheads almost running you down.
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
lawn psycho

Kracken, three things.

1. When launching for the first time it is advisable to start the boat and let it run up to temperature (either at the ramp or use a set of muffs) so you can check for overheat issues before heading down the lake.

2. Did you signal to anyone that you needed help? One thing I have found is when boaters realize someone is in trouble on the water that they don't just ignore it. What may have been an obvious problem to you may not have been to any passing boats.

3. Have you considered a VHF two-way radio? A call on Ch 16 and you'd get help quickly. I always have mine on while underway as do many boaters......

Glad to here you got fixed and back on the water.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Glad to hear that all turned out in the end.

It is disheartening at times that a boat can have its hatch up and boats will just pass on by. However I think that is an unfortunate sign of the times, and all to often people just assume people either have a cell phone or radio that work when out on the lake.

I am however very happy to hear that a boat yard which I know is busy this time of year, took the time to do a quick fix and get some body back out on the water.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
OCDACTIVE

I also was very surprised by the answer.

1. busiest time of year for any marina to be able to fit you in
2. knowing how the owner perceives good business it was surprising. However I have always heard good things about the service department.

Glad to hear you are back on the water. I will be all over the place next weekend.

Hope to see you.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
hancoveguy

Glad it all worked out for you. That is some good luck. I will def. keep Fay's in mind for future mechanical issues. My loyalty is still with Melvin Village but Fay's deserves a close second it sounds like...
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Charlie T

Default Fays service

HI,

I happened to be at Fays working on my boat when Steve was taking care of your impeller. I have to say that the service you got was typical of what I see with Fays service dept and Steve in particular. I do a lot of my own repairs but if I don't have the time or inclination to do something I always feel comfortable and well taken care of when they do it. Fays prices have always been more than fair and I've never had issues with how their service is performed. You've stumbled on some great guys to service your boat.

Enjoy the Season

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Kracken

Thank you Charlie,

The impellor was supposedly replaced 10 months ago by another marina. I am not saying they didn’t replace it, but I certainly have my doubts. Had I returned the boat to the same marina for replacement it would be highly unlikely it would be ready for this coming weekend. People always talk about bad experiences with service, repairs and pricing at marinas, when I stumbled into this situation I was compelled to give praise where it is due. Fay’s Boatyard has earned my business going forward.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
jrc

Thanks Kracken, it's good to hear good reviews. People are always ready to write when they are steamed, takes extra effort to write when things go well.

If I see a stopped boat I usually don't stop or even go over and check it out unless someone is waving. Maybe I should. I think I would stop if it was especially quiet (Early May or late October). But during the normal days I just figure the peole stopped for a swim. Now hatches open and smoke coming out should draw somebody's attention.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default break down

I too had a breakdown just outside and south of Minge Cove. I have two gas tanks and ran out of gas. Upon changing tanks it would not start. I in after thought am glad that it didn't, as I did not put oil in the gas and it would have ceased the engine. My sister stood up with a rope in her hands and within minutes we were towed four miles or so to our cottage. My friend would not even accept some gas money. Thanks Dave I bet nobody would believe you can paddle a pontoon boat.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Kracken, three things.

1. When launching for the first time it is advisable to start the boat and let it run up to temperature (either at the ramp or use a set of muffs) so you can check for overheat issues before heading down the lake.

2. Did you signal to anyone that you needed help? One thing I have found is when boaters realize someone is in trouble on the water that they don't just ignore it. What may have been an obvious problem to you may not have been to any passing boats.

3. Have you considered a VHF two-way radio? A call on Ch 16 and you'd get help quickly. I always have mine on while underway as do many boaters......

Glad to here you got fixed and back on the water.
And,
4. replace your impeller every 3 years - lucky you didn't burn up your engine.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
And,
4. replace your impeller every 3 years - lucky you didn't burn up your engine.
I would replace it every year....... But I am a little OCD as you know.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
NoBozo

If we are talking about the impeller (little rubber thingy) in the outdrive..and if you are OCD...replace it every year....maybe twice a season. You can never be too safe.

I replace mine every TEN years or so. I am NOT making this up... and I DO know something about mechanics. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
NoBozo

Default Fay's

Last September I needed a Mercruiser exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow for my Small Block Chevy V8 for my Donzi Classic. I ordered the pair from Fay's on a Thursday at about 2:30 in the afternoon.

The two boxes (About 80 pounds) were at Fay's at 8:00 AM the next morning....(Friday) from Connecticut. I LIKE Fay's.

Note: I do my own work usually. NB
Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
If we are talking about the impeller (little rubber thingy) in the outdrive..and if you are OCD...replace it every year....maybe twice a season. You can never be too safe.

I replace mine every TEN years or so. I am NOT making this up... and I DO know something about mechanics. NB

He's got a Bravo drive, the impeller is on the engine. My Bravo impellers last 2 seasons easily. I just inspected mine and it's still in fine shape after 2 years so it stays. 50 bucks is 50 bucks.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
VtSteve

I guess it's inevitable that I have to learn to do some of these things myself My most intimate contact with engines has been pulling the dipstick, now I've advanced all the way up to propeller removal.

But I get the feeling that I'm not far behind my boat dealer's knowledge on some things, including memory. My impeller is starting year 4 now, and a quick quote for replacing it on my Alpha drive was 200 bucks. I'll have to investigate the procedure.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
He's got a Bravo drive, the impeller is on the engine. My Bravo impellers last 2 seasons easily. I just inspected mine and it's still in fine shape after 2 years so it stays. 50 bucks is 50 bucks.
On the money Dave! I usually go 10 years with the alpha drive. My current engine has the Bravo drive and i have an excellent mechanic go over it every spring. Been three years and he says the impellor is fine.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #18
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post

my last boat I think it was replaced once in 10 years when I sucked up plastic grocery bag.... But you are right when it is not a HP engine you don't need to necessarily replace it but inspect it yearly...
Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
Woodsy

I dont get it...

Are you guys talking the raw water pump impeller for the bravo setup thats engine driven?

You have to take the pump apart to inspect the impeller. If your going to do all that work you might as well replace the impeller while your there. The impeller is a $20 part... def cheap insurance!

I replace mine every 2 years... regardless!

Woodsy
Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #20
Kracken

I have a Volvo-Penta, the impeller is on the engine. I purchased the boat (from another marina) 10 months ago and since the boat was a few years old I requested as part of the purchase and sales agreement that the impeller (among other things) was to be replaced. It seems it probably was not. Fortunately I shut it down just before it hit 180 degrees. It makes me wonder how many other things on the list were actually taken care of.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #21
NoBozo

Default Alpha I

Just a little reminder to those who may run their engine on the hose in the driveway. TURN THE WATER ON before you start the engine. If you have an Alpha I and you Forget to turn the water ON, you will burn up the rubber impeller in less than a minute by running it dry. Don't ask me how I know.

My local dealer charged $181. to replace the pump with a new one. When the pump runs dry it generates heat in the pump and not only melts the impeller but other plastic parts in the pump as well. So the whole pump is replaced.

The pump kit (Alpha I) was $50. The pump plate was $31.50 plus $90 Labor plus tax, etc. The Alpha I has the impeller in the drive.

If the impeller fails while the pump/drive is submerged in water, then the impeller alone can be replaced, but I suspect repair shops will do the whole pump anyhow, not just the impeller.

BTW: As someone suggested above, if you take it apart to "Inspect" it, you may as well Replace the impeller while you have it apart....particularly if you are paying for labor. NB
Old 05-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #22
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I dont get it...

Are you guys talking the raw water pump impeller for the bravo setup thats engine driven?

You have to take the pump apart to inspect the impeller. If your going to do all that work you might as well replace the impeller while your there. The impeller is a $20 part... def cheap insurance!

I replace mine every 2 years... regardless!

Woodsy
I used to do the same, but then I started thinking about money differently and decided to re-use it if inpection proved it was in good shape. The labor happens regardless and in my opinion, the cheap insurance is the annual inspection. I do all my own work and enjoy turning wrenches, so it's not a chore for me, it's a pleasant hobby. That said, it takes some practice to get good at R&Ring the pump on my engine, and I used to dread the task.

I have to confess that I'll be using last year's drive oil too. I inspected it and it has no water in it. I only did about 50 hours of cruising and don't expect to exceed that this year. The stuff is good for 100 hours and has no expiration date. That's 30+ bucks in my pocket and three fewer quarts of used oil to deal with.

I have even re-used my trailer hub seals for the last 5 years. They CAN be removed without destroying them, so I do so when I inspect and repack my trailer bearings. That's saved me quite a bit of money (maybe $100 over 5 years?) compared to what I used to spend to replace all four double-lipped seals every year.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
jrc

My Bravo 3 impeller disintegrated at 375 hours in the middle of my fourth season. I think I sucked up some sand the week before, accelerating the demise. It left my wife and the dog we were watching a little upset as we sat in the middle of the Broads for over an hour on Fourth of July weekend. I was very happy to see the TowboatUS guy, I think he saved my life .

So now I replace the impellers every third season. It's still a little risky but now I have two engines.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
OCDACTIVE

Also keep in mind, just because an impeller is working it still can be chipped up and scathed due to sand and other debris that don't necessarily make it fail but may hurt them. If this occurs they may not be running 100% depriving your engine. That is why I replace them yearly regardless but thats just me ocd!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #25
Kracken

OCD,

The tree huggers must love seeing you and that rig on the highway. On top of it you replace your impeller every year. You probably change your oil every 10 hours or so as well. Oh the humanity!!!

I fully expect to see you pulled over on the highway by a fleet of ex-hippy Prius drivers making a citizens arrest.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #26
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
OCD,

The tree huggers must love seeing you and that rig on the highway. On top of it you replace your impeller every year. You probably change your oil every 10 hours or so as well. Oh the humanity!!!

I fully expect to see you pulled over on the highway by a fleet of ex-hippy Prius drivers making a citizens arrest.
Towed her up from Fairhaven Mass this morning at 5 am.. I got all thumbs up and no other form of communication by hand gesture so I guess that is a good sign. Will let you know after I get her to the lake tonight.

I havn't seen anything of that nature out on the water but I usually am paying attention to driving and really don't care if someone isn't impressed..

I change oil every 20 hours. Breaking the engine in however I do it at 5 hours (just done) then again in 20, then switch over to Amsoil synthetic Racing 20/50. During break in Never use synthetic!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #27
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Towed her up from Fairhaven Mass this morning at 5 am.. I got all thumbs up and no other form of communication by hand gesture so I guess that is a good sign. Will let you know after I get her to the lake tonight.

I havn't seen anything of that nature out on the water but I usually am paying attention to driving and really don't care if someone isn't impressed..

I change oil every 20 hours. Breaking the engine in however I do it at 5 hours (just done) then again in 20, then switch over to Amsoil synthetic Racing 20/50. During break in Never use synthetic!
No tree hugger here, and when I saw that big OCD on the side of a white boat at exit 16 or so last night on 93, I gave a wave. I was heading southbound, so I doubt you noticed.

Nice looking rig you got there OCD.

Plus, those tree huggers better make sure that their kayaks are made of recycled plastic.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (05-28-2010)