Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Marine Patrol- Glendale

I had a pleasant experience with the NHMP at their Winnipesaukee Headquarters in Glendale. I hand delivered a permit application and had a very nice conversation with the Sargeant on Duty (I cannot recall his name) regarding safe passage. He noted that they spend a lot of time training with range finders and multiple boats and angles. He said it was tough at times but usually the violations are blantantly easy to spot.

Everyone I spoke with was professional. Thanks MP!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
robmac

I agree,yesterday I granaded my outdrive. Hate to say but boaters came and went without any help. MP came by after a very nice family finally rendered assistance and they offered help and help the nice family tow us back to the marina. I was more embarassed by the lack of fellow boaters help than blowing up my outdrive but one nice family and a very good MP officer did come to the rescue. I have towed and or assisted many over the many years of boating and will continue to do so,but you do tend to find the best people when you need them.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I agree,yesterday I granaded my outdrive. Hate to say but boaters came and went without any help. MP came by after a very nice family finally rendered assistance and they offered help and help the nice family tow us back to the marina. I was more embarassed by the lack of fellow boaters help than blowing up my outdrive but one nice family and a very good MP officer did come to the rescue. I have towed and or assisted many over the many years of boating and will continue to do so,but you do tend to find the best people when you need them.
On Sunday I was out in my PWC following all the boating laws as I always do. I came out from a no-wake area and began to speed up. Marine Patrol was alittle ways away. All of a sudden the blue light came on the patrol boat and he pulled me over. He said he thought from his vantage point that I had increased my speed while in the no-wake zone. I told him that i certainly hadn't and that I obey the rules while many many other boaters do not. I then pulled out the Boater's Guide of NH Handbook. I told him I always keep the handbook within reach. He seemed rather surprised that I had it with me. He said he was sorry and then left. On my return we passed and waved to each other. I guess it was just another day out on the lake!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Did you wave your arms trying to flag people down and no one helped?

I had a friend break down recently, and later complained that no one came over to see if he needed assistance. I explained that unless you try to get their attention, passing boaters assume you are fine - just drifting and enjoying the day.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
VitaBene

I look for boaters with their engine covers up and ask if they have a problem.

If my cover is up in the middle of the lake for any amount of time, then you pretty much know I have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Ryan

Sunday, a boat was slowly approaching Mountain View, plowing through the water and waving a bright orange flag. We approached them as they were obviously taking on water and their bilge was working full time. They explained the situation and we followed them into the marina where the boat was taken out of the water.

Not sure if the Power Squadron recommends some sort of distress flag, but this certainly helped us identify this vessel in distress.

Taking nothing away from the MP and the great job they do, they showed up 20 minutes later looking for the boat that called in the distress signal. They're literally around the corner. We let them know that the boat was already secure.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
robmac

Yes two of us were waving red flags and the engine hatch was open.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default The lakr divided

It appears the issues in the past few years about 'new laws' polarize the lake into two groups. Those who were for the laws and want nothing to do with boaters and those who are willing to help fellow boaters.

I even notice many who do not return the 'boaters wave".

A couple of weekends ago, the wind came up on the broads suddenly. I notice a couple of kayakers off the Northeast side of Long Island that appears to have trouble. The kayaks were spinning around and the couple appears to be yelling at each other. I offer assistance and one yelled. "Not from your kind!" I hailed MPHQ and expained the situation. Help was supposingly on its way. I waited around long enough to see the winds got them to shore. I notice they had a tough time getting on to shore and getting their kayak secured. At least they are safe. Its been 45 minutes since the call and no one came. I left as the waves were just about coming over my freeboards.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
VitaBene

Default Wave a PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Not sure if the Power Squadron recommends some sort of distress flag, but this certainly helped us identify this vessel in distress.
The PS Inspector who I spoke with noted that waiving an orange PFD during the daylight hours is all you should need.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (07-20-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
fatlazyless

That's true, experience has taught me that boaters will drive past a swamped or turtled sailboat without stopping to help, including when the water temperature is below 60-degrees. What seems to work real good for getting boaters to assist is a wood canoe paddle painted white with H-E-L-P in those 3"-65-cent reflective b&w square letters. Waving the H-E-L-P paddle around will definately get you a happy assist from a passing boater. Plus, if you screw a 3" plastic rope cleat onto the handle top then the paddle doubles as a boat hook.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
ApS

Thumbs up Hobie: Dozens of Ways to "upright" your sailboat...

Since this cruiser-wake-caused ejection in 2003 (from my Hobie-cat-18), I've had a total of three memorable "events".

Quote:
"I was thrown out of my 18' sailboat this morning.

"Fortunately, I had sailed a good 3-hour "pre-anarchy" morning sail, was wearing my usual PFD, the water was warm, many boats around, not far from shore -- and my boat didn’t sail off without me.

"Not that it could -- my left ankle had gotten wrapped in a rope and I was being dragged behind. The moving water made a sea-anchor of out my PFD, though, and had caused no end of exertion to unwrap my ankle.

"I paused for breath before dragging myself back into my boat. The whole episode lasted about 1½ minutes from full-gainer to belly-on-board, but Yellow Boater (+dog) stood by until I waved him “OK”.

"The MP stopped by about five minutes later, and ticketed a nearby sailboat! The day wasn't over yet, though, as my boat was later driven against the dock and shattered my trusty 2X4 rafting fender. (The fender gave its life to save my boat).

"There’s definitely more “throw-weight” out there this year than last year.

"Thanks again, Yellow Boater (+dog).

"I.R. (grateful)"
A year or two later in The Broads, a sudden wind-gust caught me in my smallest (and most demanding) sailboat: over I went, and began to "upright" my boat.

Along comes this pontoon boat, whose captain asks, "Do you need help?" I answered, "No, but thank you for stopping." It didn't do any good, as a passenger dove right in!

Upright again in a few seconds, I waved a "Thank You", and continued on my way—uneventfully.

The second occasion, having furled my sail tightly during a sudden drop in the wind, I was a few minutes from home—while paddling "energetically". Even though a huge black cloud was approaching a PWC asked if I needed a tow.

I accepted, after pointing out that they were also about to suffer some inconvenience from the same approaching thunderstorm "event".

Everybody got home OK before the skies opened up—so my experiences, at least, have been very heart-warming.

FLL, you need to capsize more often!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
... "Not from your kind!"...
This bothers me more than, anything I've heard in a long time.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
unfortunately not an uncommon event. I had a similar situation happen when I was on a jet ski one time. I saw two kayakers who were on a beach and were having trouble getting them off their car. I was a bit taller and happy to help. I walked over and asked if I could assist. Basically I was told to go away and that I ruin the lake for everyone riding a PWC..
Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

Me too, I hate to hear of people making the rest of us look bad.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
unfortunately not an uncommon event. I had a similar situation happen when I was on a jet ski one time. I saw two kayakers who were on a beach and were having trouble getting them off their car. I was a bit taller and happy to help. I walked over and asked if I could assist. Basically I was told to go away and that I ruin the lake for everyone riding a PWC..
I had no idea some of these folks were that intolerant, huh. I hope nobody thinks I'm like that when I'm paddling, I can assure you not all paddlers are jerks, there's some really nice folks out there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (07-22-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
jrc

I very much do not think all paddlers are jerks, (especially since I like to paddle). This "us vs. them" mentality can come from anyone and we all fall into the trap once in awhile. But to actually say those words, takes a real commitment to being rude.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Cool Not just paddlers

I was in a buddy's new 'Top Gun'. We were idling along the eastern side of Bear Island when a woman on a small sailboat flipped us the 'birdie'. Funny we were at no wake speed.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
DMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I was in a buddy's new 'Top Gun'. We were idling along the eastern side of Bear Island when a woman on a small sailboat flipped us the 'birdie'. Funny we were at no wake speed.
People like that are just miserable in general. Nothing anydody does can make them happy. Life is to short.
DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMAX For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (07-21-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The Lake is unfortunately very divided... there is the "on golden pond crowd" and the "everybody needs to have their own type of fun" crowd. Unfortunately the on golden pond crowd, keeps backing people up into a corner... Rafting regulations, No Rafting Zones, The law we can't mention, the list will continue to grow.

I have the personal opinion that he NWZ at the end of Cow Island is being proposed and if passed, there will be a NWZ added between Little bear and Long Island as well in the next few years... To further divide the lake, not only through how people interact with each other, but also by creating essentially two sides to the lake.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
Newbiesaukee

You may be correct about there being only two kinds of "crowds" on the Lake. I stll like to believe that the largest "crowd" on the Lake are folks who just try to do the "right" thing even if not always successful.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (07-22-2010), VitaBene (07-22-2010)