Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
PAGSY2000

Default Gps Rental

Does anyone know where I can rent a GPS for a boat with the Lake on it? I would like to see more of the lake this year but I am so overwelmed and unsure as to where it would be safe to travel by water from our cabin in Merideth. We basically just go around Goveners Island, Pagus Bay, And the Town Docks in Merideth. Any suggestions?
PAGSY2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
pmj

I don't know where you could rent a gps but why not buy a Bizer or Duncan chart? I use Bizer and it is pretty accurate. Very inexpensive as well.
I personally think our world is way to electronically oriented. Give me old fashioned paper charts.
Just one man's opinion.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
secondcurve

Pagsy2000:

I agree you should get a laminated Bizer chart. If you can get around Governor's Island from Meredith comfortably then you can easily go south to Alton Bay and south east to Wolfeboro, in my opinion since this section of the lake is wide open. It is the northeast section of the lake that is quite tricky and demands a GPS for someone unfamilar with the lake. Good Luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

I'll third that.I've only used a Bizer chart and find it's all you really need to navigate the lake.Even if you have a GPS you should have a chart in your possesion.Now if your talking about navigating at night,that's a different story but the charts will still show you where the flashing lights are located for a point of reference.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
gillis10

not sure if some GPS's have the lake loaded in full but my friend brought his bought up from Mass last weekend with a Garmin GPS and there were no markers in the water and it showed us driving down RT3 when we were in Paugus bay so it's not that accurate
gillis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
chmeeee

If you have a Garmin you need to purchase a Winnipesaukee map file from Bizer and install it, they are not preloaded. Its actually pretty recently that they made those available, but they look even better than the actual c-map chips available for other marine GPS units.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
codeman671

I have never heard of anyone renting GPS systems for marine use. You can buy a Lowrance handheld and a chip for $350 or so which shoud suffice, or save your pennies and buy a map. The best choice would be an installed unit such as a Standard Horizon and a chip. I carry a map but rely totally on my SH system.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
Phantom

Pagsy --

I will echo some of the above.

Get a chart and venture out !! If you can get through Eagle/Govenors (FL #2) & around the Witches safely & comfortably as you seem to have done-- then the rest relatively easy. One additional thought is to pack a low powered pair of Binoculars -- they may come in handy trying to identify a marked buoy so that you don't have to drive right up to it.

Pick a midweek day and try the following path as your first outing. FL2 - Left after FL3 - Past FL4 (this is where the Bear island Post office is) - keep FL63 on your right and head (straight shot) for FL6 -- Turn around and come home. This is all relatively easy going waters. A trip to Alton or Wolfboro i would suggest later.

Go out, go slow when unsure ............ but enjoy the Lake!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Gavia immer

Without a map and on a NH lake that was new to me, I discovered a rule of thumb with markers in general. Stay 150' from shore and 150' from EVERY marker and you won't have a problem. When you're in a tight spot where there's any question, proceed slowly like Phantom says.

I found the marking system is fairly intuitive even on a lake without the visual reference points of Winni's mountains. For sure, you'll want a $10 map when boating any place north of Cow Island.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavia immer
Without a map and on a NH lake that was new to me, I discovered a rule of thumb with markers in general. Stay 150' from shore and 150' from EVERY marker and you won't have a problem. When you're in a tight spot where there's any question, proceed slowly like Phantom says.

I found the marking system is fairly intuitive even on a lake without the visual reference points of Winni's mountains. For sure, you'll want a $10 map when boating any place north of Cow Island.
While this rule works 98% of the time there are some spots on the lake that do not follow intuition. Sometimes you go between the markers and sometimes you go outside of the markers. I always wonder why they don't do something special for the makers that don't follow intuition. A yellow stripe on the marker would make me take out the map if I was not sure what was going on.

My advise follows what's above. Get a map. I still like the old green one. My favorite feature is the line that shows which side of the marker to go on. (something my GPS does not tell me) Most of us had to learn the lake one marker at a time with map in hand. After you travel an area a few times it gets much easier. Have fun.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 AM   #11
pirkaus

This may help with learning to read a chart http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/chart101.htm
I like the Bizer chart myself http://www.bizer.com/
As stated above work your way slowly farther and farther and before you know it you will know the lake
GPS is good but a chart is better
pirkaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
Phantom

Amen to all who chimed in after me --- Pagsy, buy a chart, jump in the boat and explore piece by piece!! It's a sin to let such a beautiful Lake go unexplored.

We too have a GPS- the only thing a GPS will do for you (at this stage of your ventures) is take the guess work out of what (i.e. number) floating light is coming up -- or around you. As many of the others, during daylight hours I rarely even look at the GPS, it's used almost exclusively for nite riding.

One last suggestion if your still Skidish about venturing about -- take a cell phone with you and have the MP # pre-stored. Another thought is to ask a neighbor or friend (who is more familiar with the Lake) to take a ride with you. I'd be happy to do that for you but we won't be back on the water till late July due to commitments here in MA.

Perhaps another forum member might be willing to meet up with you at the Town Docks and have you follow them (at a comfortable speed) to a prearranged destination (i.e Becky's Garden and back). On the return trip, YOU lead to satisfy the fact that you know where you are and build self confidence.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
pmj

One more suggestion might be, if your schedule permits, is to do your exploring and "getting to know the lake" cruising during off peak hours, like Monday-Friday (especially early morning or late afternoon)and weekends after 3PM. There seems to be less traffic on the water during these times and some of the boats can be a bit intimidating. On the other hand when there is more traffic on the lake you can see where other boats go and pretty much follow their lead (hoping that they know where they are going, of course..nothing is a good substitute for a chart, however).

I can't stress having a chart enough (as well as binoculars) If you haven't already done so, you can take a navigation class with the US PowerSquadron and learn navigational skills as well as how to read a chart. Very valuable. www.usps.org.

As mentioned above, program the Marine Patrol phone number into your cell phone as well as whatever boat towing service you might have ,SeaTow or TowBoatUS.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by pmj; 06-21-2007 at 02:23 PM.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #14
PAGSY2000

Talking Thanks To All!

I do have the green laminated chart. To tell you the truth, I never really used it. I thought it was just a "general map". Now that I really look at it I can see what you all are talking about.

Thank You again. New Hampshire has the BEST people staying on the lake. Only up there would someone volunteer to take you out and show you the lake!
Again, thanks and I will venture out to Alton Bay this year!
PAGSY2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
lacey

Oh my! Have a green chart...never really looked at it? yikes
lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
Phantom

Pagsy --

If you have a "Green" Chart -- you've told us all it's a Duncan Press, which for your needs is absolutely fine. JUST make sure the date in the corner is something reasonably recent ie. later than 2003 !! Although the lake doesn't change all that much year to year -- I'd hate for you to get confused by an added marker that doesn't show on your chart.

Finally, I'd strongly suggest holding off on the Alton trip till you are comfy with a trip 1/2 the distance -- example around Locke Island and back (see your map) or to Becky's Garden & back. Remembering landmarks can get "fuzzy" on a long (first) trip back from Alton !!

Venture Out ---- You'll Love it