Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Nauset

Default Best marine service and repair.

Hi All,
I would like to get opinions on the best place to go for marine service on Winnipesaukee. I do a lot of my own maintenance but this fall I will be looking for a shop to service the outdrive (lube universal joint, gimbal bearing, new bellows, alignment, gear oil change, etc). I have found three things that where messed up on the drive by the last mechanic to work on it before I bought it. We have a 2000 Four Winns Vista with Volvo power. We have had the boat for less than a year and only had a small repair at Channel Marine. Other than that we have no experience with the repair shops on the lake. We are at the Weirs so we are partial to that side of the lake.
Thanks
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
codeman671

I have been quite happy with Signature Marine. He does a lot of work in Gilford and is completely mobile so he can go right to you. His name is Ed Malen, phone# 496-5619.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Dave's Motor Boat Shop

Tom have been my mechanic for a decade. I have never had any problems. Go see him or Dave.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
20mile

Default Backbay Marina

I had Backbay Marine replace a power-head on my OMC 200 hsp outboard. I was very satisfied with the work done and cost.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquadeziac

I have to agree with Signature Marine. Ed has been maintaining our boat the last seven yrs. He has a complete mobile shop. If you have a problem over the weekend,he can usually get to it during the week. His prices are reasonable. You will never know he was on your boat when he is done. If he sees something that may need attention down the road he will advise you accordingly. He has many years of experience behind him. Personally, I like dealing with the Owner/Service Manager/Service Writer/Service Tech all in one shot.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default Dave's on Route 11B Gilford

We've had good service/storage at Dave's on Route 11B in Gilford (next to Beans and Greens). Several of our friends have also used Dave's for service and storage.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
robmac

I've had work done @ channel and shep browns.both places did a good job but last year had a problem and shep browns dropped everything to get me and my family back out on the water(didn't buy the boat from them) was very impressed
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
secondcurve

I have to echo the comment on Dave's. He really knows what he is doing and is reasonably priced with good customer service.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #9
Rocky

Shep Browns has been very good to me, very pleased.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:51 AM   #10
Phantom

Well, I'll throw my $.o2 in.

As I'm sure is the case with most folks, their local Marina is a good one (or they wouldn't still be using them). With that said -- as you are in the Wiers area -- We've had great treatment, prompt & coutious service always with Channell Marine (where you said you had some minor work done). We have been dealing with these folks for the past 8+ years (old & new management) and it has always been a pleasure. Now, perhaps we get a preferred (versus the occasional customer) treatment as we purchased our boats (two to this point) through them, fuel up there whenever feasible and we Winterize & store there for the winter. They are always outgoing, friendly and do everything possible to get you back on the water as quickly as possible --- and it always amazes me how Linda remembers your name and details.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Nauset

OK,
So far we have:
2 votes for Signature
3 for Dave's
1 for Backbay
1 1/2 for Channel
2 for Shep's

Keep 'em coming.

Just to clarify, the repair we had done as Channel was done quickly and courteously. My only issue with Channel is they seem to be more specialized in Mercury rather than Volvo. Other than that I buy all my gas there and frequent their convenience store.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
codeman671

Although I recommended Signature I have done much business with Shep Browns and can attest to them as well. I think that Signature is much more reasonable though and readily available. I have bought 3 boats from Shep's so I haev had good luck there. I just bought a boat from Dave as well and he was great to deal with. I really have not run into any places that have been bad.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Here's a challenge for any shade tree marine mechanic out there. After taking my '93 Evinrude 40hp outboard to Goodhue in Centre Harbor, Shep Brown's in Meredith, and Tom's in Gilford......none of them could fix it. I have given up and will give the motor and controls away for free. It starts and revs up to 1500rpm but has some type of vro problem or something. If you want it, refer to my ad in the classifieds.

Should have bought a tohatsuhondayamahasuzuki!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
Silver Duck

I'll add my vote for Shep's; they've certainly made me a happy customer! Nice folks, knowledgeable service staff, and enough of our boats have Volvos that I'm absolutely certain that the service folks are quite familiar with them.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
20mile

Default VRO pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Here's a challenge for any shade tree marine mechanic out there. After taking my '93 Evinrude 40hp outboard to Goodhue in Centre Harbor, Shep Brown's in Meredith, and Tom's in Gilford......none of them could fix it. I have given up and will give the motor and controls away for free. It starts and revs up to 1500rpm but has some type of vro problem or something. If you want it, refer to my ad in the classifieds.

Should have bought a tohatsuhondayamahasuzuki!

The VRO pump has a sensor in it to limit the revs if it is not pumping enough oil. My bet would be to replace the VRO pump.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #16
Phantom

Nausett -- although our boat is a Merc-Cruiser engine (as you indicated) most of the boats now are offered with a buyers choice of outdrives (Penta or Merc) -- That certainly was the case when we upgraded in 2005.

With that said, Channell certainly could handle eithor as they are selling both. I simply prefer Merc for the availability of service & parts here in MA (we haul our boat out of Winni and into Ma from Memorial Day thru mid July). I truely believe the old stigma attached to the Penta drives -i.e hard to find certified service - is longgggg gone.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Do any of these dealers offer a mobile or "at your dock" service.It's a long tow from my place to the nearest service.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #18
Cub Run

We have always received excellent service from Shep Browns. I don't typically buy fuel there, but I do have my boats bottom cleaned and winterized there every year. We do not store the boats there. Two years ago I purchased a used Whaler privately, and Sheps sold me a trailer and fit it to the boat without any problems at all.Great staff there.
Count my vote for Shep Browns !
Cub Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
Phantom

Samiam -- i know Channell will make "house calls" -- unfortunately I had to avail myself of that service about 4 years back.

BUT, as much as I love them & their service, The "House Call" was $$ OUTRAGEOUS $$ -- There way of discouraging it, no doubt.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Nauset

Phantom,
It sounds like that was a bad day on the lake! Probably still better than the office. I was fortunate as Channel towed my boat for very little but we are just a few docks down from them. I'm just glad we didn't break down on the other side of the lake.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
Tank151

Default Best Marina on the Lake?

Lakeport Landing Marina! Ron in Service is the BEST! Plus, cheapest gas prices on the lake.

Tank151
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #22
Knot Droolin'

Default Signature Marine!

Hi all,

I am new to the lake this year, but many people (no make that EVERYONE!) at GYC recommended Ed of Signature Marine. He is a mobile marine service and I could not be happier with his service. Have a problem? Call his cell and he is there in no time! Honest rates and honest quality work.

His contact info:

Signature Marie Services
Cell: 603-496-5619

Best of luck!
Knot Droolin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #23
John A. Birdsall

Default marine service

I put my vote in for Dave's. I had a problem with a 115 hp johnson, that had been "rebuilt" elsewhere. I faxed him what was done, and he said that with what the rebuilt has done he did not want to touch it as he only partially rebuilt it. I was dead in the water and he was honest enough to tell me I had big problems. The repair shop that did the "rebuild" is in Norwich CT and they again only partially fixed it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #24
LSBA Joker

Default best mechanic

Sheps or at least Steve the Service Manager at Shep's is A#1.
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #25
Glove

I've had great service from Channel, including a "house call" to the very furthest reaches of the lake from Channel -- which they did on a slow day for very VERY little charge. I have found them friendly, honest, and extremely helpful. The one time that I disputed a charge for labor on the basis of a previous quote, they immediately agreed that they had not contacted me prior to performing the unanticipated (but necessary) work, and they only charged me the original quote. Also, they always have good gas rates. I give them a solid "A."
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #26
RLW

Default What happen to poor old Alton

Looks as if the 3 marina's that I know of in Alton haven't even been a twinkle in anyones eye. Ya, I'm talking about the old Hillcrest now Irwin's, where I will never go again, Gillian's and Andrews Marine. Are there more??
Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #27
pirkaus

Both Thurstons and Fays helped me out in a big way one Sunday and saved half the day for fishing
pirkaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #28
jrc

I'm not going to name names, but I've found inconsistency with a very big marina. They have some very good technicians/mechanics and they can fix anything. When I had a fuel problem in my first boat, they stopped everything and fixed it in an hour, on a holiday.

But they also have helpers, these guys can often cause more damage than they fix. I had one come to fix a rain leak under warranty, he tracked mud and little rocks in his boots scratching the gel coat. 10 minutes to squirt a little RTV and it took me an hour to buff out the scratches. One guy forgot to turn off the AC before changing a GFI, sparks flew. They always get grease and dirt on stuff. Now I just fix the little things myself.

On the good side, I have had good service from Dave's Motorboat Shop and NH Mobile Marine Service. NH Mobile are people who run TowboatUS on Winnipesaukee
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote