Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Tir Na Nog

Default Hot Tub Advice

Looking for a bit of advice on Hot Tubs/Spas. This would be for a second home in the Wolfeboro area. We plan on putting this in an enclosed screened in patio that is under the deck and to use it year round. Nothing like the idea of popping in to a hot tub after a day of cross country skiing. Can anyone make any suggestions for a good spa that holds up well, without breaking the bank in either up front, maintenance or utility costs? I also could use a recommendation for an electrician to install a 220 GFI circuit for the tub. Thanks all in advance.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
smoke eater

We have a Sundance maximus and we love it. So far it has been very dependable and the people at the Sundance store in Meredeth are realy nice.
There is nothing like it in the winter time and the coldest we were in ours was -12F in February. Hope this helps
smoke eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
SPANKY

i have had a great lakes spa for about four years now, no problems. i purchased it from the tub house in greenland. it is an in home business so he has very little overhead. he had the best prices around. i may also suggest purchasing one with an ozoneator, you'll have to pay a bit extra upfront, but will pay off by reducing your monthly chemical cost. good luck.
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default I second that

We are quite happy with our Sundance spa. Have had it for six years now. If you get a spa, consider using Baqua Spa products as opposed to chlorine. Friendlier on the skin and we found it was less upkeep. Because of the ozone system for killing bacteria, you don't need to use as much chemicals as they recommend too. Good luck!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
SPANKY

i agree with rattlesnake girl, i use baqua spa products also. a bit more expensive than bromine or chlorine based chemicals, but well worth it.
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
Tir Na Nog

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the advice. Has anyone had any experience with the Nordic Spas?
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
SpaDude

Default Possible Spas

Hi,

You were looking for some advice.... a newer company you might want to try is Spas N Stuff. http://www.spasnstuff.com/

They have quality spas that are relatively inexpensive.

Has anyone else here tried Spas N Stuff?

Regards,
SpaDude
SpaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
codeman671

I agree on the Sundance, we have the Optima (our 2nd one) and it has been a good tub. I am a bit unhappy with my dealer though, we are battling over a ridiculous service bill now due to a problem that was caused by the failure of a warranteed part that they are not covering.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
The Worm

Default Hot Tub Info

If you are in the market for a hot tub look at Arctic Spas, They are mfg'd in Canada and designed specifically for cold weather climates, best insulated tub on the market. They have a self supporting hull, meaning you could take the fiberglass tub completely out of the enclosure, set it on the ground and fill it with water. They also have an available option called a forever floor which is completely impervious to water, insects, rodents, & rot. I own the Timber Wolf model and it is great! For more info click: www.arcticspas.com.

The Worm...
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ....if you are a cheapie like me!

If you have the big bucks then Meredith & Laconia have three different hot tub businesses with showrooms, service and warranties: Energysavers, Sundance, & Stargaze, all excellent companies.

If you are a cheapie like me, check out walmart.com for a hot tub and hottubdepot.com for supplies and replacement covers and parts like a replacement heating element or pump or something.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
jrc

My condo had a Softtub when we bought it. I hear they are inexpensive. They're not fancy, just a round tub with six jets. It's a thick vinyl cover over what looks like styrofoam. I loved it, pretty much no upkeep. Balance the PH once in a while, throw some bromine in the floating thing. I'd turn it down while I was away and back up when I arrived on Friday. Once a season and at the end of the season, I'd pump it out. Then I'd stand it on it's side, clean it with the garden hose.

When I sold the condo the buyer didn't want it. So my bother in law threw it in the back of a pickup truck drove it down to Nashua and set it up in his back yard. Pretty much indestructable. Plus it run on 120 and has a GFI built-in. Just plug it in.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Windrider

Default Windrider

I'd caution against using Energysavers because of their service, sometimes it takes weeks to get a serviceperson and their sales staff isn't very attentive.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Default .....got to disagree!

Sorry to disagree but Energysavers has done done me very good service over the years. Once they replaced an expensive pump for no-charge when the funky sub-normal voltage burnt it out. Another time the service guy in the store, he says, advised how to replace the gfi plug which was no longer warranteed, and another time a different in-store service guy told me about the reset button on the back of the heater. So on three different times, I avoided a pricey service call thanks to their help.

By the way, Energysavers is one word.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
secondcurve

How do second home owners deal with leaving their hot tubs for a week or two unattended? What happens when the power goes down? Does the tub come right back on line when the power returns? Has anyone's tub frozen due to failure? Thanks in advance.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
codeman671

My Sundance froze last winter due to a faulty part in the tub, the breaker popped and we did not check it for a few days. I got stuck with a $300 bill to thaw it out, the part was warrantied. I fought this being that it would not have froze had the part not failed but basically was told to stuff it. Mine came from a shop down on the seacoast, the same company serviced it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
secondcurve

I was afraid of stories like that. Wouldn't the fiberglass break if it froze solid?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Default ........hot tub life!

Hey, my 110v20amp Jetsetter from Energysavers' was plugged in, outdoors, on the last day of '99 and has never been turned off. It works terrific and it still looks like 'almost new', and yhe electric bill is not bad. Am still using the orginal set of three filters........just keep cleaning them out with filter cleaner solvent, ayuh!

The Ash Hardware in Ashland has the best prices around on hot tub chemicals.

Energysavers' is the best for warranty service and 'over the counter' freebie repair advice. Energysavers' knows!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #18
Long Island Baba

Default Hot Tub

We have a Hot Springs Landmark purchased at Energysavers in Meredith. The inside sales staff has turned over quite a bit in the last 4 years, but their service is still top shelf. Yes, problems can be solved over the phone with them or after a quick stop in and thus avoiding service calls and fees. I have had power outtages and only a few times in the past 4 years has the separate GFI popped and thing shut down completely. No, it does not reset. I personally would not leave the thing running for long periods without a visit or without chemicals...i'm crazy like that.

Seems you need to make a visit to a few shops and see what the experts say about such things. The Hot Springs product is very good. The Landmark is truly comfy with all the jets and all. We've had minimal problems. The manufacturer's booklet talks about what to do with long periods of non-use...drain it....or turn down the temp...or add extra chemicals...depending on the scenario. My electric bill is about another $1/day...and i'm worth it!!!
Good luck!
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote