Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
billhurley

Default GPS question

I know the question has come up before, but I was wondering is it possible to get an inexpensive good GPS that uses the Bizer information. I have never used GPS, but every time I come back to the marina from a night trip I get the question did you use a GPS. I am not sure if I really need it, but wonder what kind of investment I would need to make to get a useful one.

Thanks in advance
Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Dave R

Two cheap options I am aware of:

NAVMAN 5500 at $450 or so and Standard Horizon CP 155C at $500 or so. The NAVMAN can be purchased with a built in antenna which dramatically simplifies installation but requires an open cockpit boat to work well. The SH has an external antenna which can be a real pain to mount and mounting hardware is not free so expect to pay a bit more. The SH has a lower profile and may be better suited to some crowded helm stations. The NAVMAN comes with a better mounting bracket that swivels as well as tilts. The SH only tilts.

I went with the SH because the NAVMAN would have blocked my tach. It works extremely well and I will never have another boat without a chartplotter. Running at night is totally unstressful, even through trickier bits of lake. Gunkholing at any time with utter confidence is fun too. Bizer has done a wonderful job with the chart and I have visited parts of the lake I was always a bit nervous about before having GPS on board.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
Mink Islander

Default Another option

I have a Magellan Meridien Color handheld GPS (Online runs about $330). Added Mapsend software for street level and topgraphic detail ($110+/-). Added Bizer waypoint file ($29) for a total of roughly $466. Now, this is NOT a marine chart like the C-Map Bizer full scale maps, so you can't go blazing around the lake at night in unfamiliar waters and assume every thing in your path is mapped (some chucklehead used a land based GPS at night and ran into Parker Island some years back as I recall!). However, if you use the track feature to mark your routes and take advantage of the waypoint file, you have a functional GPS for a limited purpose such as yours. I use mine primarily for fishing to track speed and location but have set routes for common trips as well, just in case of foggy or night travels. Not sure you even need the Mapsend software since the basic unit has resident maps on it. I hike as well and wanted the topo detail so bought it with the GPS. The nice thing about a handheld is you can use it for other non-marine purposes as well. Works great for me.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Woodsy

Bill...

I have a 2yr old Standard Horizon CP-150 I will be willing to get rid of cheeep. All you will need to do is intall it and get the Winni chip... $225

I got a good deal on a CP-160 model.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I have an older Magellen model 410 and have the Mapsend Lake Winnipesaukee map. It does a really nice job, but has no Navaid (buoys) info. I therefore bought the Bizer Waypoint file and installed it. It has a lot of great information. You should be able to also add additional waypoints as needed for the areas you frequent. For me, it was the black tipped spar off the SE end of Treasure island. I keep my boat at West Alton, and returning from Wolfeboro or Alton at night or in the "gloom" can make spotting this spar interesting. Sooooooooo, I just sidled up next to it one day and established my own waypoint for this spar.

A nice feature with the Bizer Waypoint file is the "safe passage" waypoints he put in, such as by Sandy Point - Echo Point - Little Mark in Alton Bay, and off the eastern end of Rattlesnake, I believe the area between Rattlesnake and Diamond has one... Learning these waypoints, coupled with common sense and the chart, navigation is a lot easier. As I have said before...thanks Bizer!.

Also, most GPS units create a visible track, so if you are returning the same way you came, you can follow the "cookie crumbs" you left on your way over/out there. Biggest thing though is the common sense, and don't rely on the GPS alone. Always know where you are at, and know that you can continue if the GPS goes out.

Whatever way you go, fancy or plain...Have fun .
Old 09-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
Kamper

Default Bizer electronic charts - Good!

I have the SH CP150c, which is the predecessor for the 155. The screen is a little small but that's my only serious gripe about it. If you get the SH, be careful of the co-ax mount. If the locknut loosens you will spin the bolt around and break the internal wires. They are good and fast about repairing under warranty and their help desk is helpful.

I've got my antenna mounted to the front bow of my bimini. I could have spent $20-30 for a special mount but got a threaded PVC "T" and a threaded reducer coupling at the hardware store for >$5. I did paint the thing to protect if from UV. A couple wraps of tape took up the slack and there was a little sewing involved.

(editted slightly because I was at work and rushed to close)

Last edited by Kamper; 09-08-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper

I have the SH CP150c, which is the predecessor for the 155. The screen is a little small but that's my only serious gripe about it. If you get the SH, be careful of the co-ax mount. If the locknut loosens you will spinn the bolt around and break the internal wires. They are good fast about repairing under warranty and their help is is helpful

I've got my antenna mounted to the front bow of my bimini. I could have spent $20-30 for a special mount but got a threaded PVC "T" and a Threaded reducer coupling at the hardware store for >$5. I did paint the thing to protect if from UV. A couple wraps of tape took up the slack and there was a little sewing involved.
We have a Standard Horizon CP155C and I mounted the antenna inside our boat's glove compartment. The antenna is round - about 4" in diameter and 1" high. The glove compartment mounting solution works perfectly, and the antenna is hidden and secure, and it's not exposed to UV. We have no problem accessing multiple satellites with the antenna mounted in this way.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH
We have a Standard Horizon CP155C and I mounted the antenna inside our boat's glove compartment. The antenna is round - about 4" in diameter and 1" high. The glove compartment mounting solution works perfectly, and the antenna is hidden and secure, and it's not exposed to UV. We have no problem accessing multiple satellites with the antenna mounted in this way.
Man do I feel dumb for going to all the bother and expense of putting it on a stainless steel swivel and mast that I mounted to the superstructure of my boat. I just assumed it needed to be out in the open and out of the shadows... Oh well, looks nice anyway.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
DRH

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Man do I feel dumb for going to all the bother and expense of putting it on a stainless steel swivel and mast that I mounted to the superstructure of my boat. I just assumed it needed to be out in the open and out of the shadows... Oh well, looks nice anyway.
Don't feel dumb, Dave. At first I thought the same as you, that the antenna would have to be directly exposed to the sky. I was about to begin searching for the mounting hardware I'd need to mount it on the exterior of the boat, but just to see what would happen I tried putting it inside the glove compartment (which in our Sea Ray is very large) and to my surprise it accessed the satellites perfectly from there. So, it was kinda by accident that I stumbled onto this easy solution.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #10
Kamper

My boat and consoles are aluminum. If I had a glass boat I might have hidden the antenna but I decided a better signal was worth the effort.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:25 AM   #11
billhurley

Thanks Woodsy I will keep that in mind. I am still trying to decide if I really need it.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #12
ThePlut

Default Get one

Bill. Get one. Just do it. You will NOT regret it.

Do you *need* one, no, probably not.

But you will never be without, once you have it. Trust me.

As for units, I have the Navman 5500i. Works great. I wish you had asked sooner because there was a GREAT rebate on this unit through the end of August. It basically cost me $315 for the unit, no external mountings, just add the C-map. As Dave said, the best part about it is that it's just power and ground to install (he knows, because he helped install mine!).

The best price I found for the Navman was $489. The same place sells the Standard Horizon for $571. Both are great units, and Dave listed pretty accurately the advantages and disadvantages...

But buy one.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
smoke eater

I also bought the Navman 5500 with the $175.00 rebate and paid well under $400. Bought the Bizer C-map chip and I have been really pleased with it. The unit has great color graphics that can be seen in direct sun and is very easy to use and quick to hook up. Takes alot of stress off of boating especially at night.
smoke eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
billhurley

ThePlut,

Thanks. I sent a note to Tiger GPS to see if they are still giving the rebate. I know it says 8/31, but it is on every site. It is worth a shot.

How is it with the C map?

Thanks Bill
Old 09-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #15
ThePlut

Default It's killer

It really is killer. Having all the details of the Bizer map at your fingertips with your exact position and course plotted right on it. My mounting location blocks part of my speedo, but I use the speedo in the GPS now more than anything.

I haven't taken the map out of the glove box since I got it.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
Aquadeziac

Question What about a laptop?

What is there out there for GPS software for laptops, and is Bizer chartplotter software compatable? I already have a laptop on the boat and I have seen GPS software with USB port reciever. Would seem if Bizer chartplotter is compatable with the GPS software, that would be cheaper than a new complete GPS unit. With the advantage of a larger screen. Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
Lakewinniboater

Default Standard Horizon with CMap winni chip

I had this on my last boat. Color and very easy to use. One of the cheaper ones out there. B&W is even cheaper.

I liked it though. Boat US was the best price
Old 10-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #18
ThePlut

Default Yes and no

Aqua,

Check out Bizer's GPS page. They do sell a waypoint file, and they do have graphic images of the lake available, and a chart kit for maptech software...

Using those, you might be able to get something running on a PC and use the GPS to plot your position...

...Jim
Old 10-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #19
Mee-n-Mac

Default Laptop chartploter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
What is there out there for GPS software for laptops, and is Bizer chartplotter software compatable? I already have a laptop on the boat and I have seen GPS software with USB port reciever. Would seem if Bizer chartplotter is compatable with the GPS software, that would be cheaper than a new complete GPS unit. With the advantage of a larger screen. Any thoughts?
There are a number of programs that will accept a standard serial data stream from a GPS receiver and plot, in realtime, your position on the screen. Maptech is one of the more "serious" (big $$) of those and if I recall Bizer's site correctly, will input their chart. There are also a couple of shareware programs (Fugawi, OZiExplorer) for under $100 that should accept Bizer's chart, the one you can get on a CD for $50. I'm finally going to get around to trying just that, though I'm going to wait and see if Bizer makes a new edition first. Of course the big screen is nice but most notebook screens aren't very readable in direct sunlight and the marine environment (bumping and moisture) is not recommended for long life.

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

http://www.fugawi.com/

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 10-19-2005 at 03:13 AM. Reason: corrected spellin, added URLs
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #20
Orion

Post Bizer chart for Garmin

If you check out Bizer's web site, he is checking on interest in porting his map data to Garmin-compatable format. These handheld GPS units can be used in the car, for hiking, and in the boat and have come down in price significantly. The portable flexibility means you can buy one unit and use it in any boat, car, or on foot.

The default map data on these units do not accurately show all the islands, so the ability to import Bizer map data would be great. If there is any interest in getting the Bizer map data for Garmin, please make sure you let him know or it won't happen. Here's the link to the info and how to respond......

http://www.bizer.com/
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #21
Mee-n-Mac

Unhappy Winni chart on Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
If you check out Bizer's web site, he is checking on interest in porting his map data to Garmin-compatable format. These handheld GPS units can be used in the car, for hiking, and in the boat and have come down in price significantly. The portable flexibility means you can buy one unit and use it in any boat, car, or on foot.

The default map data on these units do not accurately show all the islands, so the ability to import Bizer map data would be great. If there is any interest in getting the Bizer map data for Garmin, please make sure you let him know or it won't happen. Here's the link to the info and how to respond......

http://www.bizer.com/
I don't think the issue is with lack of effort on Bizer's part. IIRC he's approached Garmin but they said they didn't wan't his chart. We need to write to Garmin and complain.

FWIW : I looked for, but never found, a program to take a bitmap chart and turn it into something a Garmin GPS could load and understand. I'm a little surprised that someone hasn't hacked Garmin's proprietary format but I guess there's just not that much demand. I hear Garmin's Bluewater charts are comparable to the competitors. It's us marginal people who are getting left out because the market for Winni (or other small lakes) is apparently too miniscule for Garmin to bother with.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #22
Silver Duck

Default A Question for Bizer

Finally, I have a GPS that will let me use the C-Map chip with your map! (The new boat made a great excuse to buy a S-H CP 175C.)

Before I buy the chip, I was wondering if there have been any updates since it came out? I want to be certain to get the latest version, if there have been.

Also, please feel free to pass along to the folks at Garmin that their products were instantly eliminated because I could not use your map with them!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #23
Kamper

If you buy a new one from C-Map USA they will sell you the most current version. You can ask if they expect another edition out soon before you commit.

Figure on an update being available every other year.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #24
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
Finally, I have a GPS that will let me use the C-Map chip with your map! (The new boat made a great excuse to buy a S-H CP 175C.)

Before I buy the chip, I was wondering if there have been any updates since it came out? I want to be certain to get the latest version, if there have been.

Also, please feel free to pass along to the folks at Garmin that their products were instantly eliminated because I could not use your map with them!

Silver Duck
I believe that the latest update was last March. I waited a few weeks to get mine last spring to make sure that I had the latest version. I have the CP175C and a CP155C (in different boats) and love both.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #25
Silver Duck

Thanks, Codeman671. I'll assume, then, the latest revision of the chip would have all the changes reflected in Bizer's 6th edition and make certain that I get that version of the chip.

Silver Duck
Old 01-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #26
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
I'll assume, then, the latest revision of the chip would have all the changes reflected in Bizer's 6th edition ....
C-Map's current chip is based on data available last spring. By late February, they should have incorporated changes found during Bizer's fall tour of the lake (as listed on our web page).
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #27
billhurley

Bizer,
Will we be able to tell when the updates are complete? I would like to buy the latest version from you before the boat goes in the water.

Thanks Bill
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #28
Silver Duck

Even with this warm winter, I doubt that I'll need the chip before late February! Please do let us know when the updated chips ready and I'll place an order.

Silver Duck