Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #101
chipj29

I am planning on heading up this weekend for the Winter Carnival. But the main purpose for my visit is for my son to see the planes take-off and/or land on the ice. So in order to maximize one or the other, when do most of the pilots plan on arriving and/or leaving? Do they come in on Sunday morning and spend the day?

In other words...when does the most airplane activity occur?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #102
riverat

I would say there will be plenty of activity this weekend anytime between 8am til 5pm but more so Sunday from 8 thru 5
Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #103
idigtractors

I haven't seen anything pertaining the air traffic for the winter carnival day activities except for the unfortunate mishap. Was it a busy day and did all that attend (pilots and riders) have a good time???
Thanks Paul and gang. My appreciation is in the bucket at BC.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #104
Sal

Default What happened here ??

Picture taken at Alton Carnival, 2/14/10.
Attached Images

Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #105
joelglick

Default Photos from the Alton Bay Winter Carnival

Here are 150 photos taken by members of the Northeast Pilot's Group.
http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/photos/827044/

Special thanks to Paul, Bruce, and the other volunteers who make this ice runway an exciting destination for pilots. We love coming to Alton Bay, not just because it is the only FAA designated ice runway in the United States, but also because Paul and everyone in town makes us feel so welcome. Our group alone filled 25 seats at Shibley's for brunch.

As for the previous photo, indeed, there was a minor mishap. The crosswind (west wind) made for challenging conditions, particularly on ice. It has the potential for blowing us across the runway (in this case towards the east), so we tend to land to the left (west) of the centerline of the runway to give us some room, should we slip to the east. The left main wheel caught the snowbank on the left (west) edge of the runway, which caused it to spin to the left. When the main wheel hit the snowbank, it collapsed, which caused the propeller to hit the ice, hence the bent propeller. Nobody was hurt. The force of this prop-strike is transmitted through the drive shaft to the connecting rods, which are probably bent. The FAA demands a mandatory engine teardown and rebuild in a situation like this.

Overall, the Alton Bay ice runway is operated in a very safe and professional manner. The pilots that fly here tend to be very experienced, so this is an unusual occurrence that had more to do with the wind conditions than anything else.

- Joel Glickman
joelglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #106
Iceguy

Default Ice Airport and Winter Carnival

Thanks Joel and the Fly Club for your support. It was a great day. We had approx 80 planes that flew in. With only one little mishap. The wind can be tricky. The plane is being removed today and Wednesday. The wings have to be removed in order to transport, for repair. If anyone is wondering about the other plane on the parking area on the airport, it has a broken starter, and it's waiting for parts. This could take a few days. Also, I think the Carnival was a great success. Joel, thanks for the pictures. Hope to see you on the ice!
Paul
Iceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #107
trfour

Thumbs up Just Another Heartfelt Thank You...

To Paul & Crew, The Pilots and families that entertained, not only the locals, big smiles were also coming from around the world through being able to enjoy the festivities on The Alton Bay Cam!!

Absolutely priceless!!!!

Terry

From Dallas/Fort Worth, TX.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #108
robmac

As the weather takes its toll on the ice this week as we get closer to spring thaw I would like to thank Paul and his crew for all the work they put into the Alton Ice Airport. Being able to share this with my daughter one of the things I enjoyed while growing up is awsome. Had a wonderful time out there many weekends this season, so again a big thank you.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #109
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hey Paul

With all the rain, maybe we can get some seaplanes to come into the airport before the boats get out there and ruin the runway!

Thanks for all you and the crew have done once again, for the Bay, and its visitors.