Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Question Inaccurate info from Duncan Press (green map) web site

They claim that they have the most accurate information regarding Lake Winnipesaukee however I’ve noted inaccurate or omitted information on the Duncan Press (Green Map) web site that ranges IMHO from a serious disservice to boaters to negligent, laughable or silly. Here are some examples from their most current Lake Winnipesaukee Green Map, their 2005 edition.

Speed Limits: According to Duncan Press (on the additions, deletions, observations, changes page) as of today, July 20, 2009 there are speed limits of 45 mph day and 25 mph night in only TWO areas of Lake Winnipesaukee. One by Rattlesnake Island and the other is by Bear Island. Oddly, they are the same as the trial speed limit locations from the summer of 2008. Absolutely no indication from Duncan Press that the 45/25mph speed limits apply to the entire lake and have been in force for all of 2009. Tell that to a Judge.

Launch your boat: Don’t be surprised if you can’t launch your boat at Ames Farm Inn. Duncan Press does not mention that the Ames Farm Inn launch facility is for Inn guests and not available to the public this season.

The latest Duncan Press map (2005 edition) shows the symbols for a public launch ramp and public dock in Sanders Bay around Silver Sands. On the corrections page they update their 2003-2004 map to show the launch ramp at Silver Sands closed to the public but Duncan Press neglected carrying the correction over to their current map, the 2005 edition. They have not added the information to the corrections of the 2005 map. But that’s not the whole truth yet. It’s the big ramp at Silver Sands MARINA that is now closed to the public. There has been a smaller public launch ramp across the lagoon at Silver Sands Motel (Resort) that has been available to the public for at least 50 years but no mention of it. What about the public dock? How can you close something that never existed? There NEVER was a public dock at Silver Sands Marina or Motel.

Still looking over the corrections and additions page some of the information is supplied by their, “Marine Patrol Secret Agent”. What does that imply? Shades of James Bond – it bothers me to think that some of the Duncan Press alleged accurate information has been “slipped” to them by a paid public servant. Does that mean the information is NOT available to others (like Bizer)? Complicating matters at some point it seems that MP and Duncan stopped providing lat/long positions of new navigation aids. No one handed coordinates to Duncan Press on a silver platter. Their advisors on the left coast probably never saw the new navigation aids in person. IMHO, Bizer would have visited the new markers and taken a few GPS readings for publication rather than do what Duncan Press did and just say, SORRY, no lat/long available. Does that demonstrate a dedication to accuracy?

Waypoints are not allowed. Say what? Duncan Press knows an authority that dictates what I can and can not plug into my GPS or chart plotter? I might not want to use Sally’s Gut markers as waypoints but the coordinates I enter into my GPS should be MY BUSINESS and not subject to any other authority.

Let’s switch over to the Safety Tips from the Marine Patrol web page of the Duncan Press site. You want to get a Boater Education certificate and course from the United States Coast Guard? According to Duncan Press you can do that at Marine Patrol Headquarters. Accurate info? Nope. You get Marine Patrol State of NH courses and certificate at Marine Patrol Headquarters not US Coast Guard Courses. Both are very good but the US Coast Guard and NH Marine Patrol are very different agencies.

According to Duncan Press you can not legally go over 6 mph within 150 feet of ANYTHING. Although this is excellent advice it is NOT TRUE. They word it so you might believe that it is a quote from the MP but it is NOT accurate information. For instance, we can start a water skier from shore under the right safety conditions. We can stay on plane as close to some things as we care to do. A good example is the rock that Flashing Light 46 sits on by Round Island. It is not subject to the 150’ rule. Don’t think I’m Capt. Bonehead when you see me just 25 feet away from FL46 on plane.

Many of these items have been brought to the attention of Duncan Press over the last few YEARS but they have ignored the information and neglected responding to e-mail and snail mail. See these postings from past years:

Post from 2007, Gilligan asks Duncan about the public dock

Post from me re: e-mail and snail mail to Duncan Press

This is getting way too long so I’ll stop and leave you with some recent screen captures (July 2009) from the Duncan Press Inc web site.

comments by Skipper of the Sea Que
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote