Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts
Thumbs down Ethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
I traded in my truck for a Jetta TDI (diesel). I love the car and appreciate its 50+ MPG economy on the highway.

I have noticed my fuel economy drops by approximately 10% during the winter. I realize that fuel economy in the winter is affected by weather and temperature, but I believe the refineries are adding something to the fuel that contributes to the drop in economy.
The winter blended fuels include anti-gelling agents that effect the mileage. I see my mileage drop from 17 average to 15.5 in the winter.

Another factor for me is the warm up time- I don't like cold cars!

Unfortunately, the rest of my vehicles, with the exception of the Kubota are gas powered. Ethanol
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Steve Di.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
The winter blended fuels include anti-gelling agents that effect the mileage.....
I understand even the low sulfur diesel they are selling doesn't produce the same fuel economy as the old diesel fuel.

There is an emblem in my car that states I can ONLY use ultra-low sulfur fuel. I guess bio-diesel is even out of the question.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
robmac

I was speaking today with a rep from Exxon/Mobil and he was explaining to me that their engineers were very concerned about mixing of the additives and a chemical reaction that can cause worse damage than the Ethanol itself.I asked which ones would mix without an issue and his reply was that none of them should be mixed. I also asked what they would recommend and his response was that they can't recommend any product but when pushed he said " I use Startron " so I guess I'll be sticking with that and gas that has it added. JMHO for what it's worth
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Steve Di.

Default What Is Startron?

Is Startron a fuel stabilizer?
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
robmac

Yes it is,itprotects against phase separation which is one the worst thing you deal with when using Ethanol enriched fuel. What happens is the ethanol reaches saturation point {it's absorbed the maximum amount of water it can carry} then drops to the bottom of the tank where the fuel p/u is. It is then brought into your fuel delivery system damaging everything it contacts.Not an easily or cheap thing to fix.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
AB_Monterey

Default 39% of all field corn now used for ethanol

Read this last month:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...corn-low_N.htm
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Cal

Default On a brighter note

When my boat engines where built in 2003 they were designed for 89 oct. MTBE blend fuel and dynoed at 647 hp. A few years later, due to a vacuum leak on the intake manifold, I melted a piston at the same time E10 was being introduced. In the interest of saving money after a rebuild, I suggested tuning the new engine for 87 octane. After a few hours on a dyno and many trial and error "pulls", we wound up with 661 hp on 87 oct E10. We then matched the tune on the other engine and saved about 10 cents a gal. even though it uses a little more of what we are being "forced" to use.