Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Orion

Default GPS Chart Comparison - Navionics vs. Bizer

I finally got my Navionics chart Premium Lakes East chip to run on a recently acquired Lowrance HDS-5 chartplotter. When I fired it up, I was very impressed. The bottom contour data is very extensive. For serious fishermen, this seems to be the better choice. Bottom data and contour lines are in 1' to 3' increments and for areas I'm very familiar with they seem very accurate. For navigation-only use, I would still give Bizer the advantage with more accurate shorline mapping as well as known rock positions and the most accurate bouy info. There seems to be at least a couple of "extra" bouys on the Navionics chart, shown in my area of Moultonborough Bay. Perhaps they were once there and never replaced.

Does anyone else have more exprience evaluating the Navionics mapping?

Oh, and one other little detail, the chip has nearly every significant lake in the Northeast!...great for those who trailer their boats to other lakes.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
rick35

Default Be careful

I tried the 2008 Navionics Premium chart last year and was disappointed with it. I found that markers were missing at the south end of Meredith Neck near Bear Island. It also showed that the boat lane was right next to the mainland and had you passing inside (west of) the black blinker at the southern tip of the Neck. Based on my test I decided to not use it. I figured if there were problems where I know the lake I wasn't about to use it where I'm not as familiar . Hopefully the 2009 edition has been updated. The funny thing about Navionics is that I received their low end Handheld edition with my gps and every marker I've checked is right where it was supposed to be. You'd think their high end charts would be at least as accurate.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote