Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
pardsie

Default GPS Fishfinder

I have read all the posts I could find here about the Bizer loadable chip for combo units. The threads all seem to eventually gravitate towards loading onto portable units. My question is this if the info can be transferred onto sd cards why isn't that info useable on units which have sd card availability. I have reduced my choices to either the humminbird 587ci combo or the new lowrance hds5. These both have charting capabilities. Wouldn't creating your own waypoints on most travel destinations and using the Bizer paper maps be just as useful? The standard horizon 180i along with the bizer chip along with the fishfinder black box seems a little much. In keeping with this post can anyone share their experience with the navionics inland lakes chip? How does that compare to the Bizer?
TIA
Pardsie
pardsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Orion

Default Lowrance HDS5

I'm also looking at the Lowrance HDS5 unit. You can get the Lake Insight version with lake charts of the whole US preloaded and/or buy the Navionics Hot Map for Winnipesaukee. It's a really nice unit with a nice bright screen and some fishermen prefer the Navionics charts. With the Lake charts loaded, this unit actually shows 3D color shaded bottom contours.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote