Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Island-Ho

Thumbs down Stolen Trailer

Some low-life scum stole my trailer from the Varney Point trailer lot in Gilford last month. It was a Four Winns Navy colored with white pin stripes, single axle 15" wheel with surge brake hitch, bunk style for a Horizon 18 foot. There was a spare tire mounted on the side, and the hitch had a padlock on it. It was marked with the name "WALKER" on the port side. The vehicle ID number is 42KBKCS14Y2013252. If anyone has any information regarding this trailer please PM me or contact the Gilford police department.
The Gilford PD said they had reports of other problems at this lot, so any users beware! Looks like I'll be extending my boating season until I find a replacement.

Last edited by Island-Ho; 10-09-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs down Swapped trailer.

Before the Varney Point trailer site, I use to park my trailer in the Gilford lot in Glendale. 7 years ago, I notice someone replace my trailer with a similar older trailer. I would have not noticed until I found the swapped trailer has a lot more rust. The police did a VIN check and found it was registered to someone on Cape Cod. The police could not find the original owner. So I still have the trailer. I couldn't register it for 2 years because I don't have a title for that VIN. After the trailer is ten years old, I was able to register, as a title is not needed.
What is funny is that the trailer was never confiscated after I reported it!
In case you are wondering, the thief swapped plates so I still had my plates!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Airwaves

Broadhopper, if you still have the name of the original owner of the trailer you can try a zabasearch.com search and see what comes up.
Not perfect but it could help.
AW
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
In case you are wondering, the thief swapped plates so I still had my plates!
Hummm interesting thief......also shows how much time they sometimes have..... sorry to hear that happend to you BroadHopper....

Island-Ho talk to Winnisquam marine, they sometimes have trailers sitting around that people didn't take with their boats and they sell them very reasonably.....
Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Island-Ho

Default Trailer Lock

It's too bad it's come to this, but some people can't seem to leave other's property alone. Can anyone suggest a secure trailer lock that can't be removed with a bolt cutter? What methods do you use to secure your trailer if you find it necessary?
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
lakershaker

Default What about this?

You could use this to immobilize the wheel...
www.denverboot.com
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho
It's too bad it's come to this, but some people can't seem to leave other's property alone. Can anyone suggest a secure trailer lock that can't be removed with a bolt cutter? What methods do you use to secure your trailer if you find it necessary?
I have always just used a regular pad lock.... it works good enough in my opinion.... Because the truth is you can stop the occasional thief pretty easily.... but if a pro is comming to steal the trailer they know how to defeat anything that could be in there way before they come.....
Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
MomCat

Dear Island-Ho--
There's a type of heavy-duty hitch lock that slips right over the coupling, completely encasing it, like a sleeve. An allyn wrench tightens a bolt up into the socket, and the whole thing locks down with a key. We use this type on our horse trailer, and I can't imagine anyone being able to get it off without some serious tools/equipment. Sorry, but the trailer is parked elsewhere right now, so I don't know the name of the product, but a trailer dealer should be able to help you. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #9
Blue Thunder

Default Something like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho
This should do the trick. Don't go by the list price, I'm sure you could locate it for less. http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/pr...3&template=app
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
MomCat

Default That's it!

Yes, that's just the type of lock I was trying to describe--good job, Blue Thunder.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
chunt

The only way to slow down someone from stealing your trailer is to use a tire lock. Thieves will use your safety chains, wrap them around their bumper and away they go.
chunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
idigtractors

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunt
The only way to slow down someone from stealing your trailer is to use a tire lock. Thieves will use your safety chains, wrap them around their bumper and away they go.
How true, how true. We had 2 last fall stolen this way from around us, one being a 24' pontoon boat. Both of them gone and never to return.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #13
ApS

Lightbulb "The Club" doesn't work either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunt
Thieves don't care if the trailer "gets away" from them...it's not their trailer!

My "fix" was to weld two chain links on the inside of one wheel and padlock a short chain to the axle.

If a thief drove the trailer out of the yard, streaks would be left on the road—pointing to the thief's destination!

Alas, nobody tried to steal my trailer.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Great idea APS.If you have a trailer with spoked wheels you can just run the chain through the rim and around the frame.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
Dave M

Trouble with the chains links around the tires is that if you have a cutter, its minutes and they're off. If they want the trailer they will get it especially if they are pros. They will have the equipment(cutter,chains,etc.). How about removing a tire or even removing the air(assuming no boat on). They can't possibly carry all the different size tires and seeing a trailer with a "flat" tire may stop them. I little inconvenient but worth a trailer.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 AM   #16
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
"...Trouble with the chains links around the tires is that if you have a cutter, its minutes and they're off..."
For spoked wheels, I'd use stainless steel cable—it's nearly impossible stuff to cut. So thieves don't go to cut the padlock, use an "Abus" style padlock.

The Abus has a narrow opening, so fashion the cable with loops of different sizes on each end and thread one end through the other before padlocking to the cable body.

(A sailboat getting new rigging will have many yards of used stainless cable at bargain FLL prices.)

Don't lose the key!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
secondcurve

Is trailer theft a big problem in the Winnipesaukee region. Also, what about boat theft? I always worry about my boat at the marina. Should I be worried?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote