Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
hazelnut

Default Trailer Light Question

Hello all,

Looking for a little bit of help here. Just finished rewiring my trailer. Of course this is a pretty simple process... The wiring part. Brown to Brown Green to Green Yellow to Yellow etc. Anyway, I finished the job plugged it in and jackpot everything lights up as it should (sidelights, rear lights etc) Drivers side blinker works Bright Dim Bright Dim etc. Then the passenger side bright OFF bright OFF Bright OFF hmmmmmmm then the brakes, Driver side no problem passenger side OFF!?!?! Take the foot off the brakes and both light up dim as they should. Any ideas????
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Skip

Default Possible ground problem....

.....double check the ground connection for the right side tail lamp assembly.

The majority of wiring issues on trailers always seems to ccome back to grounding issues, perhaps the ground was disturbed when you were rewiring...

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
jrc

or one fillament in the on the passenger side bulb is burned out.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
JTA

Remove the bulbs and make sure there's no corrosion or rust. Try switching the bulbs to see if the same problems show up. Or, buy a new trailer.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Misty Blue

Default Trailer lights

Hazelnuss (sorry my mother was from the black forest):

Good advice from all.

I have four trailers and often use my truck to pull other boats; friends, CG, etc.

I found that keeping up lights on multiple trailers was a real pain in the neck with corrosion and sometimes daily immersions. A CG buddy put me on to a good idea. With his advice I made a "trailer light bar" out of 2" PVC. It is correctly made up and removable from the trailers.

When I tow the Misty I tie it on to the swim platform. The 25' connecting wires installed in the bar go right to the trucks light plug. When I tow the Deb's Joy it goes on the back of the boat (tie downs are already installed in the bar) with the same electrical hook up.

The bar is removed prior to launching and so it never gets submerged. When not in use it is tied to the side of the pickup truck. No mater what I am towing or when I may need to tow a trailer I know that I have the proper lights.

Pretty cool idea, even if it did come from a Boatswain.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
islandAl

Default license plate light

How does the bar on the back of the boat illuminate the license plate?
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
66WINN

I would have to agree with Skip and jrc. The other thing to double check would be your green wire as this is the one that controls the brake and turn signal on the passanger side. See the attached link for a wiring diagram.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

Last year I rewired my trailer and replaced all the lights with LED. They use less voltage and don't heat up the way incandescent bulbs do. That makes them better for submersion as the hot incandescent bulbs tend to burn out if they come in contact with water. The LED's also give off a brighter light.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #8
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb It's a bad ground

You've got a bad ground on the passenger side socket. Do you have an ohmeter or some other circuit tester you can use ? I can talk you through it if you want but I'll guess if you look close enough you'll find it anyway. What's happening is that there are 2 filaments in the bulb which are tied together at one end, which is supposed to be connected to ground (imagine a Y with the bottom tied to ground). Turning on the running lights applies 12V to one filament and there's just enough grounding to allow current to flow through the filament to get it to glow (but I bet it's dimmer than normal). When the blinker or brake is turned on the other filament gets 12V and now you've got at least 2X the amount of current trying to go through the bad ground. Because the ground is poor the voltage at the common end of the bulb rises. Now you've got a bulb with 12V at both tops of the Y and mebbe 8-10V at the bottom of the Y. Not enough current flows to make either bulb glow so it/they go out (or glow verrrry dimly ). Clean the socket or bulb (no rust allowed !) or check for loose wiring to that socket.