Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
KBoater

Lightbulb WInter Reading

Captain Bonehead has moved south. Last Saturday Night I was in my boat on our local river watching the Christmas boat parade. We had pulled into a dock and had enjoyed the parade. There was a lot of traffic on the river which is about 200 feet wide. After the parade, I backed out of the slip and turned to go down river. I was parallel to the port shore when a boat up river from me did the same maneuver. He then proceeded to pass me very close on my starboard. He was closer to the center of the river. This is in a NO WAKE zone where passing should not have been possible. I also had to get to the starboard side of the river to turn into my marina. After docking we all went to a restaurant and Captain Bonehead was there. He came over and started quote rules about “give way” and “stand–on”. Since I was the “stand-on” boat, I think I did the correct thing of no changing course while he passed. I believe that there was quite a bit of wine in the other boat. We did not have far to go (1/8 mile).
I checked out the NH on line boat course for the rules. This whole episode pointed out that speed and distance are not the only things that can create an accident. I’m how reviewing all the rules. It is a good read for all you boaters to put onto your winter reading list.