Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
Boater

Default As engines roar, an economy stalls

Bike Week bad for the local economy?

The Boston Globe reports that the "Weirs Beach resort community...say the area suffers for hosting the annual Laconia Rally & Race Week".

''We don't have a family reputation there because of Motorcycle Week."

"Little construction has occurred in scruffy Weirs Beach in the last 20 years, even as such nearby towns as Meredith and Wolfeboro have prospered by lining their waterfronts with elegant hotels and expensive gift shops."

Ouch.

The article also has comments from area businesses who say Bike Week is good for business. It seems to depend on who you talk to.

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...conomy_stalls/
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Sandy Beach

Arrow 9 day Bike race and rally. Good? it's your point of view

What's 9 days for a bike race and rally? No question it brings in people, money and attention to the area. Much more than with no race and rally. It also costs the area (via taxes and fees) to provide extra public services to the area for those 9 days. It's really more than 9 days with set up and tear down and clean up.

What's nine days out of the year? Two and a half percent of the year (2 1/2%) not much. When you have a 3 month (12 week) summer season it is a chunk of about eleven percent (11%) of the summer season. Including 2 prime weekends.

The payback is not equal for all residents and businesses. For some residents it is a major pain in the butt. Better for them to rent their house out for big bucks (and with a big security deposit) and take a vacation away from the lake. It's more than getting to and from your house for normal activities. Imagine trying to get a fire truck or ambulance through some of those massive crowds.

For others it is a boon. Imagine just the parking lots. All cash, just sit there and collect the money. No NH income tax and the Feds aren't counting your business traffic to check against the receipts. Do they charge double, triple or more of the regular parking rates during bike time? Or rent out space to vendors. It's lucrative enough that some areas have been set up just for that purpose. Why build when you can make so much money in a short time this way with little effort. Stores, eateries, lodgings in many area and surrounding towns also see a big surge in business. Just look at the parking lots full of cycles many miles away from Laconia.

In MA. if you are in business for yourself you have state and federal income tax to pay plus an additional 7% self employment tax (goes to FICA). Add it all up and you "could" be paying around 44% of your income or more to taxes (we'll forget about depreciation and deductions). Imagine just sitting under an umbrella and collecting cash and possibly forgetting to give 44% of some of it to anyone.

Over the years there has been a gradual increase in biker activity during the rest of the summer. Bikers attracted to the rally wind up returning to the area throughout the summer. Once introduced to the area they like it and want to come back during non rally time. Too bad we often stereotype. There are some bikers that I would NOT want to run in to in a dark alley. Conversely the majority of bikers I would WELCOME seeing in a dark alley because I would feel comfortable. That could go for any group not just people who enjoy motorcycles.

The Globe article is oddly written. I wish they had more hard information to back up their claims.

Sandy
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
Merrymeeting

Just watched a report on Ch 9 on Bike Week. They said $240M was spent last year with much more expected this year. So, sounds like there are 240,000,000 reasons why this week happens.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
Skip

Post Bike Week economic impact concerns....

Interesting Union Leader article today questioning the validity of economic impact claims of Motorcycle Weekend. Seems raise more questions than answers....

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=39111
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
madrasahs

Exclamation Could it be worse? Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Beach
"What's nine days out of the year? Two and a half percent of the year (2 1/2%) not much."
(Many arrive early to our short summery season here, so it's more like 5%+).

While trying to think of a Bike-Week substitute demographic that New Hampshire could be worse off with -- (al Qaida has only 18,000 members worldwide) -- I see Seattle, Washington, had a biker rally of nudist-bikers last weekend. (Mostly males).

It can't happen here, of course.

Maybe leather's not so bad.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
HAHLY

Sounds like a plan
HAHLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
Old Chris Craft

Fat Jack,
The spelling insult may be slightly offensive but the rest of your posting is so funny I am still laughing because it sounds so true. We could form a Laconia Hooker and Streetwalker Committee, hire a fulltime director who could travel to other events and be paid to hang out and tell everyone that Laconia is the sreetwalking capital of the world. We all realize that 90% of the attendees will be doctors and lawyers in real life and only streetwalk at this event so all of the negative publicity won't hurt the area at all. I applaud you on your suggestion and hope some of the people who are stuffing their pockets from bike week will be able to capitalize from your idea.

'Ol Chris
Old Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:43 AM   #8
madrasahs

Default Good try, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jack
At least al Qaida would be a more civilized group...I'm surprised that Laconia doesn't also try hosting a hooker convention. Think about how much money that could bring in.
I was trying to think of a convention that had worse demographics -- but still had sufficient members. The numbers just aren't there for coal-burning engine manufacturers, ozone-producers, pedophile priests or al Qaida.

Thanks for trying, Jack, but a hooker convention would be preferable to Biker Week. (No air pollution, No noise pollution).
Old 06-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
jrc

How about the DNC? After this year, Bostonians won't want to host again. Maybe Laconia can get it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default Bike week is just bad

Never been for or against it since moving up this way. Well after this year I am definitely against it. Or at least it being so long. Now I understand why many people close down for the week. You can't get to any place around here without running into 10 times the normal congestion, noise and just plain old rude out of state attitudes. I say bring it back to bike weekend.
I for one will be happy to see rain on this week from now on.
Even though I'd love to get out on the lake this weekend I'm hoping for rain and a speedy exit for all the bikers.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #11
Coastal Laker

Default I guess it depends...

I do believe bike week is a boost for nh and it doesn't bother me at all. You have to consider the money visitors spend on hotels, local restaurants, and nh gift shops throughout the state.

For the locals, I can see how it is quite a troublesome distraction to daily life. For me, I live locally but have not been adversely affected at all. I'm fortunate to work outside the area where the traffic and hubbub are nowhere around. My drive home is nowhere near all the activity.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
Fancy

I have a (serious) question. What businesses actually close down for bike week? I have heard that from several people - but don't know of any businesses that actually have to close? Thanks in advance!
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #13
Lakegeezer

Default We did our part

Our biker friends purchased about $200 of clothing at Parafunalia in Meredith, $50 of junk at the Moultonboro General Store, and we spend about $80 on groceries at JoJos in Moultonboro. There is $300 or so bucks from 2 of the 400,000 people that came up to see the show. Yes, I got caught in a traffic jam. What a scene! With the cold lake and the howing winds, the cycles were the best show in town. Two weekends is enough, and I'd vote to keep it that way - but I'm a nonvoting taxpayer. Those that are complaining have to wait again till next year - but are welcome to start griping about the regular tourists that jam the roads every Friday and Sunday afternoon - and don't even dress funny.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #14
madrasahs

Talking Replacement venue found!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Chris Craft
We could form a Laconia Hooker and Streetwalker Committee, hire a fulltime director who could travel to other events and be paid to hang out and tell everyone that Laconia is the sreetwalking capital of the world. 'Ol Chris
The perfect venue (definitely not streetwalkers) to replace Bike Week appeared while driving through Wolfeboro Saturday morning.

A lady was crossing the street dressed like a clown (although she didn't have a rubber-bulb horn or a clown cycle with her).

Why not a Clown Week for the Winnipesaukee area?

(On a personal note: I failed in my career as a mime. Sorry -- I can't talk about it).
Old 06-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #15
HAHLY

Default Laconia takes in $200K on Bike Week

http://www.citizen.com/news2004/June..._06.23_04f.asp
HAHLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:48 AM   #16
hazelnut

Default $$$$

It is a matter of economics and how you look at it. The bikers come in spend money locally, the shop owners/restaurant owners etc. can hire employees, the local employees now have money to spend locally. Also the O.T. that the various town employees (Fire, Police, etc.) get paid, allows them to have more money to spend locally. Forget that the town broke even or lost a couple grand. The $200k that they spent on their employees eventually makes its way to local merchants. No matter how you slice it, it is an injection of money that starts the whole cycle for the summer season.
Is it worth it? Well those that call the area home may think not. I hate to say this but the event has been there longer than most of you. And just like tourism it has grown. Was this not a consideration before you purchased your homes? I know the response I am going to get on this one so I will say it for you: "The event used to be only one weekend, now it is a whole week" Did the thought ever cross your mind that it might grow to this size? I know I just opened up a huge can of worms. Please don't get bent this is only my opinion. Keep in mind the NIMBY theory. (Not In MY Back Yard) Everything looks great until it winds up happening in your back yard. I am sure there are places and events we all love to attend that the local residents would love to be without. Think hard now: Have you ever attended a: Fair, Festival, Concert, Spring Break, Sporting Event, Rally, etc.etc.etc. You probably have unless you are a hermit. Chances are that some local resident of that area is pissed off that you are there causing excess noise, traffic, trash, etc. etc. etc.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:13 AM   #17
jrc

Hazelnut, looking at your Patriot got me to thinking how the people in Foxboro must have had discussions like these. Imagine how much different the effect of the first game in Schaefer Stadium in 1971 was, compared to last seasons playoff game in Gillette Stadium. Having been to a game, I know that it's a major traffic problem for the locals. But it's only ten days a year. A few years back these people fought hard to keep the team in their town.

Hey did anyone see this on the Laconia Motorcyle Week website:

MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR NEXT YEAR'S 82nd Laconia Motorcycle Week, June 11th-19th, 2005. Watch for new dates in 2006
Are the bikers changing their week?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #18
Fancy

Well said, Hazelnut. Thank you for explaining things in a nice manner without bashing any one - no matter what their opinion. It's a nice change of pace!!! As for the question re: the change in weeks - no, it is not chaning - it's just that is always ends on father's day, and so the dates change slightly from year to year. This year was the latest it generally falls, and now it will back up by a day over the next few years.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #19
Fancy

Default Another open mind

FYI

http://www4.citizen.com/news2004/Jun..._06.24.04a.asp
Old 06-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #20
dpg

Yup, good points made. Anybody out there owned their N.H. home for 80 years - not hand-me-downs. How about you complainers, do you attend the Sandwich fair every year? Have you ever? I've met people who hate it, I know it may be a far cry from 1,000's of Harley's but you get the point.

Anyway, bike week is strictly a gender and age thing. Probably not many thirty somethings that would like to see it leave the area. C'mon, don't you retirees remember when you were young and crazy?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #21
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
C'mon, don't you retirees remember when you were young and crazy?
I'm not a retiree, but I remember when it was 4 days, which would be fine by me. What I'd love, is a chance to vote on it.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:36 AM   #22
Belmont Resident

Default Bike week

Pauguse Bay Resident
Laconia might be helping with the issue. With all those million dollar homes going up just off the Weirs strip maybe that will be the voice that changes things. That is only a small portion of the contruction going on around that area.
In past years the Laconia/Lakeport area hasn't seen a big traffic problem. This year traffic was a nighmare with traffic backing way up Elm street. Never seen that before.
I talked with someone who was on a bike Saturday. Took hime 5 hour to get from the Lakeport area to the Weirs with a lunch stop on the way.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:45 AM   #23
Belmont Resident

Default business's that hurt

Hotels, food chains, etc. benifit.
Local contractors hurt, resident's in the area hurt. Contractors can't get to the job site. More and more I meet residents within a 5 miles of the Weirs that are either forced to leave town or are held at home because it's just not worth the time it takes to go out and return unless they go out befor the traffic starts.
The Friday before the event started it took me 1/2 hour to drive from Sunset Bay to Weirs Crossing. Normally a 5 minute ride. Traffic was backed up as far as you could see from every direction coming into the Weirs.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:31 AM   #24
Skip

Post Bike week protest?

Interesting article in today's Union Leader referencing opponents to the current length of Bike Week and what their protest plans are at the next meeting of the Laconia City Council;

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=40164
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:05 AM   #25
Lakegeezer

Default Good points on both sides

Those that argued to keep the event as long as it currently is said:
  • It would be impossible to hold all the events that make up the rally with only a four day event
  • Less people would come from far away for a shorter event
  • The event would be more prone to a washout
Those that want to shorten the event had their points to
  • They could get to Walmart faster
  • Shorter periods of the assault of noise
  • Less beer cans to pick up
  • Less wizz on the bushes
Old 07-05-2004, 04:07 PM   #26
Fargo

Default Bike Week

I find it interesting to see that 4,156 people have viewed this post but only 27 people have post replies. This region has way too much to offer to continue supporting bike week, enough is enough! Weirs Beach deserves better.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:17 AM   #27
JG1222

Default Unless You're Eighty-One Years Old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut
I hate to say this but the event has been there longer than most of you.
This is, by far, the best point to be raised yet! As usual, the simplest explaination is typically the best.

I can appreciate and sypathize (to a point) with the people who are inconvenienced by bike week. However, those people who so vehemently complain about one week out of fifty-two, is the equivalent of someone who buys a home on the runway at Logan Airport and bitches about the planes.

People who have reached the age of eighty-one or more can (in my opinion) complain all they want about bike week - you were here first. But, for the rest of you, give us a break - there are more important things to worry about.

Last edited by JG1222; 07-06-2004 at 10:21 AM.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:57 PM   #28
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
One important point though, while this event has been here longer than most of us, my self included, it was 4 days in length, not 9. IMHO, makes a big difference.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #29
madrasahs

Smile All Bikers 80+ years old = Welcome!

Quote:
When you hear 10 crickets in your yard, you "have crickets".

When you find 400,000 crickets in your yard, you have "infestation."
Old 07-07-2004, 06:11 AM   #30
JG1222

Talking Crickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
When you hear 10 crickets in your yard, you "have crickets".

When you find 400,000 crickets in your yard, you have "infestation."
Either way - you were the one who chose to live near the "woods".
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 AM   #31
Fancy

Hi Fargo - many folks, such as myself, read the posts but don't respond to all of them b/c it's overkill. I have said it many times - but will say it again - I support bike week.