Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Perfect Harmony

Default Marine Grill

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am looking into mounting a grill on my 30' boat. I am a bit strapped for room on the deck so I am thinking about doing a pedestal on the swim deck. I would appreciate any opinions about that as well as grill brands. So far Magma through West Marine, is where I am headed. Thanks.
Perfect Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
garysanfran

Default Magma

I owned a Magma kettle BBQ for many years... Loved it! I had it mounted on a rail on a 34' sailboat in San Francisco. I'm thinking of getting another to use on my deck. Now they have electronic ignition.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Perfect Harmony (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
AC2717

Welcome
I have a pedestal set up on my swim platform and love it, I stand out there and grill love it, just make sure to have the pedestal turned the correct way so when you mount the grill to it, it faces the direction you want it to. I forget what I have but wife got it at west marine i wish I could remember it

Just remember, it was a magma i have the 18 inch rectangle one. picked up pedestal at Parafunalia
Perfect Harmony (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Happy Gourmand

Default Grill on the boat

I've thought long and hard about getting a grill for the boat. The idea of it seems really cool. My question to those who already have one is this....do you really use it or is it one of those things you absolutely NEEDED but then only used it once or twice?
I looked at them online again as recently as yesterday, I'm having a hard time justifying spending the $$$ for something I'm afraid I may use once or twice.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Welcome
I have a pedestal set up on my swim platform and love it, I stand out there and grill love it, just make sure to have the pedestal turned the correct way so when you mount the grill to it, it faces the direction you want it to. I forget what I have but wife got it at west marine i wish I could remember it

Just remember, it was a magma i have the 18 inch rectangle one. picked up pedestal at Parafunalia
That's what I have as well, on my 24' Maxum cuddy. One thing I like is that I can use pretty much any grill I want, instead of trying to find some specific "marine mount" model. I usually buy a new $50 basic portable grill every 3rd season, as even a "high quality" stainless grill starts to get pretty beat around after a few years. And then if I want, I can port the portable grill someplace else.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Perfect Harmony

It's so expensive to eat out, I can't imagine I wouldn't use it a lot. We picked up a stainless steel griddle at Sam's for $49.00, that I can see making breakfast on. It's a perfect size since most grills are 18" wide and the griddle is 17 3/4"' x 13". Have to find a way to not go broke away from the boat!
Perfect Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I've thought long and hard about getting a grill for the boat. The idea of it seems really cool. My question to those who already have one is this....do you really use it or is it one of those things you absolutely NEEDED but then only used it once or twice?
I looked at them online again as recently as yesterday, I'm having a hard time justifying spending the $$$ for something I'm afraid I may use once or twice.
I guess it all depends on what you want. We use ours heavily, usually cooking bison burgers or tips from Wining butcher while out at the sandbar. It's nice, IMO, to be able to spend a full day hanging out, without having to go to shore for lunch, or eat "cold cuts".
Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
polarisman14

A friend of mine has a clamp-on one that's probably about 10"x18" or so and we use it just about every time we're on the boat. It's not ideal for more than a couple people (unless you're cooking hotdogs, you can still do 8 at a time) but if you're patient you can do burgers or kebabs too. Everything tastes better when you're floating around.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
I use my Magma Marine Kettle Grill 2 all the time on my 25 foot cuddy. We like to pre-prepare "gourmet grill foods" so that they are easy to cook on the boat. We've made pizza on it and also use it to heat a coffee percolator when we spend the night at anchor and want morning brew.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
garysanfran

Default Frequency of use...

Quote:
I used mine (kettle type) a lot! But it was on a sailboat on San Francisco Bay and I would go on trips of up to two weeks. I mounted it so that it hung off the side over the water, just in case anything should drip out. It never did. I had mine for 15 yrs. They now have electronic ignition. Mine did not.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I use my Magma Marine Kettle Grill 2 all the time on my 25 foot cuddy. We like to pre-prepare "gourmet grill foods" so that they are easy to cook on the boat. We've made pizza on it and also use it to heat a coffee percolator when we spend the night at anchor and want morning brew.
Do you spend the night at anchor on Lake Winnipesaukee?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Irrigation Guy

I have a large round kettle style magma gas grill with a rail mount I'd be willing to part with if anyone is interested. Just send a pm.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Do you spend the night at anchor on Lake Winnipesaukee?
No, I trailer my boat and use it in states that allow overnight anchoring, like ME and MA.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
Happy Gourmand

Default boat grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
I have a large round kettle style magma gas grill with a rail mount I'd be willing to part with if anyone is interested. Just send a pm.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
PM sent. Thanks
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
AC2717

I got my two years ago and I have to say I use it every time I sand bar, well worth it
No more soggy sandwiches for us!!!
Worth the cash in my opinion plus it is great for guests, that say why are we taking burgers or tips or chicken with us, when I say We have a grill on the boat they love it!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Welcome

We have the Cabo grill from West Marine. It's a rectangular Magma only available there. It has a 9X18" cooking area. They have a few different models to choose from. We got the Magama pedestal mount from parafunalia and it works great. One nice thing about the magmas is the lid latches shut and everything inside stays put. It's expensive but we use it a fair amount. Build quality is very good.

AC2717 is right, just make sure the pedestal is orientated and level as there is no real adjustment after it's mounted.

And don't store your propane bottles in the engine area. They tend to leak after being used....
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
Alton Bay

I know that Sports and Marine Parfunalia sells grills. Take a look there...way better that looking in a catalog and you'll be shopping local :-)
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
We have the Cabo grill from West Marine. It's a rectangular Magma only available there. It has a 9X18" cooking area. They have a few different models to choose from. We got the Magama pedestal mount from parafunalia and it works great. One nice thing about the magmas is the lid latches shut and everything inside stays put. It's expensive but we use it a fair amount. Build quality is very good.

AC2717 is right, just make sure the pedestal is orientated and level as there is no real adjustment after it's mounted.

And don't store your propane bottles in the engine area. They tend to leak after being used....
this is the one i have as well
I used Stainless Steal washers to under the pedistel to level it out, because of the way the swim platform sits, especially with someone standing on the back of it