Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
windsail

Default deck power washing

Hi I am in laconia, does anyone know of a good person to power wash a deck?
Thanks
Mary
windsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
SAB1

Personally I don't recommend it. The power washer is to hard on the wood. It opens it up and cracking and splintering occur. Better to use deck cleaner and a stiff bristled brush on a pole with good old elbow grease. I have seen several decks, mine included, that did not do well after power walking.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
windsail (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Different decks

You didn't mention if it was wood or a composite material like Trex.

I use my pressure washer all the time on my composite decks and it really does a good job. I also use it to clean the driveway, and in the Spring I use it to clean the winter debris off of the lawn. I put my boat carpets on the driveway and clean them too.

I have a gas pressure washer (2,500 PSI). The electric ones do not have enough pressure. You may want to buy one, it would be less costly than hiring someone every year. In my opinion, it is the best tool in the tool box!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
windsail (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
windsail

Default power wash

it's wood, perhaps it is better not to power wash. thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You didn't mention if it was wood or a composite material like Trex.

I use my pressure washer all the time on my composite decks and it really does a good job. I also use it to clean the driveway, and in the Spring I use it to clean the winter debris off of the lawn. I put my boat carpets on the driveway and clean them too.

I have a gas pressure washer (2,500 PSI). The electric ones do not have enough pressure. You may want to buy one, it would be less costly than hiring someone every year. In my opinion, it is the best tool in the tool box!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Rusty

I have been pressure washing decks for many years and have never had any damage to the wood. If you use the right nozzle and keep the proper distance while washing, there is no better way to make a deck look new again.
windsail (07-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Agreed.I PW my PT deck all the time.I use to have a cedar deck and PW that did result in damage to the soft rings.The harder rings stayed raised and made for a rough feel.FWIW
Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
SAB1

http://www.jaymarinspect.com/never-p...sh-a-deck.html
Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Thoughts on Preasure washing a deck

Well everyone here is adding .02$ so now I will...

Will pressure washing repeatedly cause damage... Of course it will doing anything with regularity will cause some amount of damage. But done in moderation it really isn't a problem...

I have two decks which are approaching 20 years old. Both made with Preasure treated wood, and they have held up well over the years. In 20 years, they haven't been touched, and well finally last year I decided to do just that. I started with the small deck, and an electric power washer... it went all right but the electric power washer was very time consuming... About a year later no ill effects... This spring I did the larger deck this time with an gas powered 2500 psi unit, once again no issues. The deck is much cleaner and, and looks almost new... Now would I do this in the spring and fall every year...... No!!!!!!!!!! ..... but to get something cleaned up after years of neglect, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

People run into problems pressure washing their decks because they do it two or three times a year.....
windsail (07-17-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Orion

Default New PT lumber is not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I have two decks which are approaching 20 years old. Both made with Preasure treated wood, and they have held up well over the years. In 20 years, they haven't been touched, and well finally last year I decided to do just that. ..........
20-year old PT decking is definitely not the same as the new (less than 10 year-old) stuff. I have similar decks at one house that are close to 30 years old and are still solid. The decking I have at the lake has boards rotting at 8 years and less. Granted, there is more humidity at the lake, but PT is supposed to hold up to moisture, and doesn't any more. When they changed the PT formula, along with the newer less-dense pine stock, we got a much less durable product. It does require regular treatment, which I am averse to doing over water on the dock.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Denny Crane

Default Deck Maintenance

Decks should be maintained every 2 years. That's all the semi-transparent and clear stains hold up for from UV light and weathering. If a deck has been sitting untouched for over 5 years, never mind 10 years, of course it's going to take some pressure to remove years of mildew and weathering. If you have the time and energy to hand apply chemicals and then manually scrub every floor board and railing great. No thanks, I'll powerwash. A deck that's been maintained correctly every 2 years will not require an aggressive powerwash, nor will the wood look like the earlier post.
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
20-year old PT decking is definitely not the same as the new (less than 10 year-old) stuff. I have similar decks at one house that are close to 30 years old and are still solid. The decking I have at the lake has boards rotting at 8 years and less. Granted, there is more humidity at the lake, but PT is supposed to hold up to moisture, and doesn't any more. When they changed the PT formula, along with the newer less-dense pine stock, we got a much less durable product. It does require regular treatment, which I am averse to doing over water on the dock.
Are you sure the boards you got where Pressure treated, and not just Thompsonized?

The Thompsonized wood doesn't hold up nearly was well as true pressure treated wood does.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
mountainhouse

I'll add my .01 cent. I have had decks for decades and now looking back to all the power washing, both professional and homeowner, I would only sand with a rental drum floor sander (rent at Homedepot). Under the railing I use a small belt sander. Like new and smooth, and even the less expensive paints stick and hold. It is all about creating the best binding of paint/stain to wood.
But seriously, I would no longer consider anything but composite, now that the product has evolved. Adding up the time-money-other efforts, and in the end , it's still wood (unless one has teak or mahogany )
mountainhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #13
camp guy

Default Power washing a deck

I had several decks, walkways, and steps, all pressure treated, and some areas subject to a lot of dripping from trees, and I used the "SAB1" method of a bristle brush and elbow grease, plus I used a garden hose with adjustable nozzle to wash away the debris. I did this each early summer, and it worked well. The garden hose is not so aggressive it damages the wood, but, at the same time, it does wash away debris and leaves the deck looking good.

(I have to laugh at this post - one question, multiple, multiple answers.)
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Denny Crane

Default Composite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhouse View Post
I'll add my .01 cent. I have had decks for decades and now looking back to all the power washing, both professional and homeowner, I would only sand with a rental drum floor sander (rent at Homedepot). Under the railing I use a small belt sander. Like new and smooth, and even the less expensive paints stick and hold. It is all about creating the best binding of paint/stain to wood.
But seriously, I would no longer consider anything but composite, now that the product has evolved. Adding up the time-money-other efforts, and in the end , it's still wood (unless one has teak or mahogany )
I've thought about composite but can't do it! There's something about looking out into the woods from a slick plastic deck past the shiny white railings that doesn't feel right in NH! Also, even though the products have come a long way and even look like wood now, there are plenty of product failures such as fading and blotchiness that have led to class action lawsuits(timbertech). It will still need powerwashing!
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Pressure washing.

My 'rich' neighbor pressure washes just about everything on his property. From what I see, never pressure wash vehicles or boats. You should see his tires! Bits and pieces of rubber every where. Even the moldings around the windows on his car, boat and house are shot. Of course he has the money to buy new every year but I would not buy from him!
His gel coat looks great but after he pressure wash it badly needs a 'Diamond Shine'. Even his trex deck looks like it is years old. Not sure if he is using too much pressure but he loves using that thing!

I have a pressure treated lumber dock built before DES put a stop on all the good stuff. The dock been creosoted for years until it was banned. It is now 30 years old and still looks great! I just scrub it every year with a stiff brush. May not look like the neighbor's dock, but I bet it will last a lot longer.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhouse View Post
Right with you Mountain. Just did that by hand also. Looks almost new.

I understand the pressure washing thing. It comes out looking nice and requires very little physical effort. Easy man's way out and we as American's love to subscribe to this philosophy in many ways. Heck that's why I did it! But it is a mistake IMO. I have never seen wood deteriorate so fast. My buddy is a builder and he always says don't pressure wash anything wood, especially your siding (Vinyl for that matter as well) use a cleaning agent, a brush and the garden hose. Each to his own though.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
jeffk

I have a 19 year old cedar topped dock and have tried cleaning it by scrubbing etc in the past. Last year I power washed it. What a dream. It took off mold, pine sap, everything and left it clean and ready to be restained. It came out far better than previous attempts. Was the wood raised a bit? Yes but not to the level of being a problem. I did not sand it. I used a solid color stain and did 2 coats. (The open wood is VERY thirsty) The staining process smoothed the wood down again. I was very happy with the results. Would I do this every couple years, probably not. But after many years of exposure it really brought it back to looking great.

Note: I did use the lower pressure nozzle. Duh. I have seen the high pressure nozzle etch concrete. Definitely NOT for wood.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
Orion

Default Yep, PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Are you sure the boards you got where Pressure treated, and not just Thompsonized?

The Thompsonized wood doesn't hold up nearly was well as true pressure treated wood does.
Yep, it was pressure treated "NatureWood".
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
windsail

Default power wash

I want to thank everyone for the input. I started doing it my hand but it wasn't coming out very good and it's a large deck. We bought a small power washer, just enough pressure. Look like it is coming out great. letting it dry for a couple of days and will then stain and seal it. Has to be better then it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to windsail For This Useful Post:
Rusty (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsail View Post
I want to thank everyone for the input. I started doing it my hand but it wasn't coming out very good and it's a large deck. We bought a small power washer, just enough pressure. Look like it is coming out great. letting it dry for a couple of days and will then stain and seal it. Has to be better then it was.
I'll bet it looks great. Thanks for sharing the results.