Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Flylady

Default Internet Selection help needed..

I have a rental that I open on a seasonal basis. Up to now I have used TWC for basic cable only. I have received a lot of inquiries about offering internet access, but have no idea how I would or should proceed. I would assume a weekly renter would bring their own laptop and want to connect via wireless. Can someone provide me with the information I would need to proceed? Also I usually only have the cable TV on between May and mid Oct. What are the risks (if any I should be aware of?)
Thanks,
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Wink Internet Access

All depends on where you are. As I am out in the boat, I would anchor near a mcmansion or tie up at a public dock, I almost always find a connection that does not require a security code. Try connecting to a site from the cabin. If there is one, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
jeffk

This is a fairly easy thing to do. If, for example, you decide to get TWC internet service they will give you almost everything you need. The only extra thing you would need would be a wireless router which you could get for under $100. There would be a few extra steps needed to set up the router but TWC provides directions how to do that and phone help if needed. Modern routers come with some built in security that is automatically provided. It is possible to increase that security but it makes it more difficult to connect and to be honest I doubt you would need to do that. It leaves access to the users computer slightly more vulnerable but most computers have their own firewall protection and other intrusion countermeasures running anyway so their risk should be minimal. The only other issue is that anyone in the area of the house could get on your network and get access for free. Since there is no charge for volume of use this probably doesn't matter much. With the internet added I don't know that you could drop cable for the winter. I have basic cable (including basic satellite) and internet and it runs almost $100 a month. You would have to eat the cost for the non renting months. That's a lot of money to increase rent to cover. If your costs are $500 a year for internet you would have to bump rent to cover that, plus extra if you no longer can shut down cable coverage. I don't know how many weeks you rent but 10 weeks would require you to bump rent $50 just to break even on internet.

BTW, with the basic wireless setup a user would just have their computer search for wireless networks (usually automatic). It would discover yours and they would just OK the connection. You might want to give them the name of your network (assigned during the wireless setup) but usually there aren't that many networks in the limited area they broadcast so they would probably only see yours.

Hope this helps.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Tomt

I use TWC for TV and internet year round, I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to turn it off and on seasonally but maybe not. A wireless modem would also have the ability to connect by hard wire in case someone brought a laptop that did not have a wireless card installed. I would password protect the network, even though you may not keep a computer on site that could be hacked into anyone who connects to your network and performs some illegal activity through your network could be traced back to you. Obviously the people who rent from you would need access but anyone else would not.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Phantom

FlyLady -- It is a simple process to run Internet for your cottages/rooms as described above with an inexensive wireless router.

I would suggest however that you do avail yourself of the encryption (security) and handling the necessary password "IN- House" by simply providing (or posting it) for all your guests to see.

One last thing, not knowing where you are ..... when placing the wireless router - location is the key to "distance". As an extreme - you don't want to have it stuck in a corner of the basement surrounded by foundation - rather in an upstairs location closest to the majority of cottages/ room. If it is simply a house/ cottage that you rent -- anywhere (other than the basement) should be sufficient.

If you are still uncomfortable installing the unit and setting the encryption, I am confident there are many local PC shops that would do that portion for a modest fee (as it truely is quite simple)
Old 03-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
pah

Flylady
If you need help or advice call me at 603 707 7883

Peter
pah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Flylady

Default Thanks All

Thank you everyone for all of your assistance. I think I have it down. I was thinking of connecting a wireless router and securing it with password available to renters. I know from my own experience when I brought my PC there that there is not access to any wireless sites on a regular basis.
The real driver of my decision now will be TWC and what (if any) seasonal rates they have. If none, then the renters can drive into town to pick up a signal.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

You can put your TWC account on hold during the off season. The fee was $6/month when we did it.

On the security angle, leaving the wireless router without an encryption password will keep down your trouble calls. There is little risk in keeping an open Internet so unless your neighbors start impacting your speed (unlikely) why not share. In spite of the theory, it is difficult to find examples where the slight chance that someone uses your network for illegal activity would cause you grief. An open network is much more renter friendly.