Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
XCR-700

Default Caravelle Boats

Any Caravelle Interceptor owners out there,,,

Interested in getting a replacement for the old Glastron/Carlson 23 and I like the look of the Interceptor cuddy.

Problem is I dont seen any in our area.

Seems to be a hot item in the south, but I dont think I have ever seen one on Winnipesaukee.

Also wondering where is a good place in NH to buy a new boat trailer (tandem for 23' boat)

Thanks for any feedback.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...Trailer Outlet in Tilton for the trailer...and continuing past the Trailer Outlet, on your right, before the Winnisquam bridge(93 side/west?), there was an Interceptor for sale there...nice looking boat btw...Is the 23' Glastron you own a Scimitar jet boat.?..always liked those...rare-ish boat...I have heard good things about the Caravelles...happy hunting...
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
robmac

Has alot of similarities to the Stingray SX 230
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
and continuing past the Trailer Outlet, on your right, before the Winnisquam bridge(93 side/west?), there was an Interceptor for sale there
Do you mean the place just before the Trading Post?

Anyone know the name of it???

Thanks

p.s. my G/C is built of the same hull but is not the hardtop, its the cuddy w/Mercruiser not Jet.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...nice ride..!..good shape too...yes, to before trading post, and, no, I don't (and should) know the name of the place......you can probably see the boat from the Trailer Outlet's parking lot, by looking across/left-ish the street......
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
...nice ride..!..good shape too...
Well not exactly,,, Thats part of the reason for shopping for a new/newer rig.

Something popped in the motor a couple years back where it has water getting into the oil. I got a replacement motor and have not had the time to do the swap,,,

Once I started the job last fall I realized that while its been sitting a section of the floor got soft, and the wood-backed trim along inside (sides/gunnals) also rotted leaving the vinyl padding unsupported and sagging, so it now needs a bit of work to make it usable,,, No one to blame but myself, but just dont have the time (no garage either,,,) for more than basic maintenance and this is going to be a bigger job than I will ever get done, so up for sale it goes and I'll take what I get out of this one and roll it into the next "hole in the water" that I will pour my $$ into.

As a good friend was so fond of saying; "it is what it is" and so its time to move on to the next boat. So I'm looking a rig for the family can be comfortable and safe in and enjoy Winnipesaukee (our ski boat is very tight/cramped and given its super low freeboard its only usable when the conditions are very flat/under a foot chop) so a shopping we go!

So far I am finding the Wellcraft Excalibur to my liking, but the freeboard is a bit more than I'm looking for. From what I can see in the pictures, the Caravelle Interceptor looks like what I am looking for, but havent seen one in person yet, I'll know for sure if its what I want within 5 minutes of seeing it. Been boating long enough to know exactly what I want in a boat.

Thanks Much

Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...check out some of the Glastron/Carlson forums...I think you may have some luck selling that as a project boat to one of the many G/C collectors out there...pretty active bunch...as a side G/C useless trivia factoid...Pres. LBJohnson was a HUGE Glastron fan, and had a couple "factory tweaked" hot rod jet boats that he would take guests out in...the SS would shadow him in the slower Donzi sweet 16's......happy hunting...PM me detail$ what you're looking/wi$hing for...I may be able to point you in that direction......
Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
XCR-700

Ha, thats too funny about LBJ! Old Glastrons are rapidly becoming popular classics, its always fun to see 60's glass on the water.

As for selling my 23' yes I'm sure someone with time skills and desire will be able to bring it back to all its glory with a modest effort.

As for the place you were talking about on Winnisquam, would be Adams Marine per chance???

Thanks - George
Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
NHBUOY

...as long as lightning doesn't strike me...I'll say yes...Adams sounds right......btw...if that's your Glastron outboard, me likey...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
XCR-700

I called Adams and though he has a Caravelle, its a walkaround not an Interceptor,,,

And yes both the red 23" G/C and the blue G/C are mine.

The red one is what I'm looking to replace, the blue one will go when they pry my cold dead hands off the wheel!!!

Its not practical, its not big enough, and its not even safe (way too over-powered to let anyone else even drive it) but it's a keeper!

Actually its my second CVX-20, my first was carnival-ride-red (metal flake) and the second I sold it, I knew I made a mistake, so I searched across the country to find the cleanest CVX-20 Sprint in blue, and found this one in MT (3000 mile trip,,,) so that should tell you how bad I wanted it,,,

Boating madness,,,, it really is an addiction,,,,

Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...nothing wrong with good taste...I think that is probably Art Carlson's BEST bottom design and the top deck is beautiful...verry trick boat...like'n the Yammi...Mopar of the O/B's......great mota..jk...Jackplate.?..Noseconed.?..Prop.?...I'm guessin right around 70-ish.?..I am a HUGE SOB fan......
Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #12
XCR-700

Its funny, but it looks a lot bigger in pictures than it really is,,,, I can touch the water running at no-wake!

2000 Yamaha OX-66 with aftermarket heads and reeds, power lift jack plate, and currently a 3 blade Yamaha SS prop (super bad torque-steer). Tried a High Five and it was overall a big step in the right direction (no torque-steer!!!) but it blows out if you full throttle launch (the High Hive has a very small diameter) and it is too little pitch, hits the rev-limiter in the mid 60's.

Dont know how fast it is, with the 25 Yamaha prop I have seen low 70's (GPS) on the Merrimack river, but ran out of space, and suspect I can take more pitch on the 3 blade.

Chine walk is BAD with the Yamaha prop, so dont think I will ever bother with a bigger 3 blade prop and will probably never know what top speed could be, probably just get a big 4 blade and bigger 5 blade and be happy with whatever it turns for a number.

A word of caution to anyone who may be looking at these thinking performance, as tempting as it may be to go with the CVX-16, hold out for a CVX-20 its a much bigger and much more stable boat than the 16.

Have you ever looked at the Checkmate 2400 Pulsare or the Allison Gran Sport??? Both are hot rigs for single outboard hulls.

GH
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
NoRegrets

Have you installed trim tabs?
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...hey XRC-700...I'm like'n you more & more......have you tried a Trophy Plus 4 blade.?...I'll bet a 23P-25P TPlus will cut the torque steer down, and if your steering is adjusted "correctly" (NO SLOP), chine walk should be minimal and a flick of the wrist should be all you need to keep the "walkin" down...careful with the jack-plate with 3-blades...they can be a handful at high transom heights (crab-walk)...sounds like you know what you're doing, tho......trim-tabs shouldn't be needed on that boat, plus, with tabs, it's easy to mask problems that should be taken care of with proper set-up...I DO have a 25P Hydromotive Quad 4 that I could let you try (I have the Yammi adaptor for the Flo-Torque spline set-up)...I'm on Meredith Neck...The Trophy's are the hot (stock) ticket for hulls like yours/ours, tho...motor sounds like it's strong...are you using Chris Carsons Reeds.?..I'm assuming you have to run high-test with the heads your running..?...rock-on "Cowboy"......
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
Have you installed trim tabs?
No trim tabs, being a smaller boat and an outboard, it is very responsive to the power trim and jack plate setting.

Matter of fact, if the jack plate is too low at speed its almost undriveable over 60.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
XCR-700

Quote:
...hey XRC-700...I'm like'n you more & more......have you tried a Trophy Plus 4 blade.?...I'll bet a 23P-25P TPlus will cut the torque steer down, and if your steering is adjusted "correctly" (NO SLOP), chine walk should be minimal and a flick of the wrist should be all you need to keep the "walkin" down...careful with the jack-plate with 3-blades...they can be a handful at high transom heights (crab-walk)...sounds like you know what you're doing, tho......trim-tabs shouldn't be needed on that boat, plus, with tabs, it's easy to mask problems that should be taken care of with proper set-up...I DO have a 25P Hydromotive Quad 4 that I could let you try (I have the Yammi adaptor for the Flo-Torque spline set-up)...I'm on Meredith Neck...The Trophy's are the hot (stock) ticket for hulls like yours/ours, tho...motor sounds like it's strong...are you using Chris Carsons Reeds.?..I'm assuming you have to run high-test with the heads your running..?...rock-on "Cowboy"......
Have not tried a Trophy prop, heard good things, but only propes used so far were the Yamaha and High Five.

The chine walk is and torque steer are real bad when the jack plate is all the way down and running the Yamaha prop (BIG blade - big diameter (14 3/4) - with very high rake)

I was looking at a Hill Marine Signature series 4 or 5 blade in 14 1/4 x 25, do you know anything about these?

With the High Five and/or jacked its much more managable.

As for fuel, yes I only run premium and no the reeds and heads are from Hydro Tec Marine (THE Yamaha guys! or so they claim,,, LOL)

Currently the rig is down for a transomectomy,,, Had a soft spot in the floor under the battery (under the rear deck) and naturally no repair is as simple as you plan, so in pulling the floor I noticed that the transom was very wet and soft in the bilge area, so out comes the transom,,, Juts to much power on this baby to take a chance of something happening.

GH

p.s. as an old dragracer who ran a few MOPARs in my day (Challenger 440/4spd and Duster w/440 auto) I liked your comparison!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...who's doing the transom.?..I have a guy...Pat @ White Mtn Fiberglass...1st class guy/1st class work/FAIR price$ too...too nice a boat to hamnegg it...Glad you got the Mopar thing......Ron Hill has a good rep, but I have never run one of his props...what do the Glastron web sites suggest for props on your boat.?..is the exhaust "relieved".?..or thru-hub.?..what is the slip factor on your best prop now.?..I can relate to the wet-transom/fingers crossed thing.!..I am running a Rrevinrude 3.6 V-8(326 pshp) on a VERY tired 21' Linder hull.!.....peace "Cowboy"......
Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

...on you tube, punch in 23' K & K Ghost and check out what I think is the Interceptor bottom design...K & K is the Kalibut family out of NY...VERY talented designers/set-up/racers...also, punch in 1986 Key West K & K Ghost...BOTH videos show the Kalibut brothers' talents when offshore was really offshore...amazing videos that show how it's DONE...in a 23' & 28' Ghost...SKILLZZzzz......