Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Woodsy

Default Online Boater Safety Test... SCRAPPED!

Here is a link to the story in the Citizen.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...055/-1/CITIZEN

The story didn't say if the Senate eliminated the temporary boaters certificate.

The story also went on to say the Senate passed the boat noise bill as well, raising the fine for a noisy boat from $100 to $250. The noise bill also allows a new, easier form of noise testing.

Woodsy
Old 04-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
codeman671

When does this take effect? The article did not mention an effective date.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Woodsy

I would assume Jan 1 next year providing the governor signs the legislation....

Woodsy
Old 04-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Woodsy

I just got this from the Statehouse Reporter for Fosters in reference to the temporary certificates....

Sorry that got cut out of the story ... they kept temp certificates but raised
the fee from $5 to $10, I believe. They also added a provision that a person
can only get one temporary license in a 12-month period.
Again, thought I had that in the story but it must have gotten cut.

Woodsy
Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
jrc

Default Here are the bills

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...06/hb1463.html

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...06/hb1624.html

They really don't clear up all the questions either. No mention of the status of people who already took the online test. But the effective date is 1-1-2007.

BTW the version of HB1624 on the website still has some of the other safety laws we discussed before.

Flags or whistles for canoes and kayaks
Skier down flag
No onshore lights that look like boats
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
jetskier

Question Boater Certification

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had the chart indicting the age of mandatory compliance with the boater education certification. I took a classroom course last year (The jetskier got the highest test score ). My wife has not gotten around to this and I just want to verify when we have to do this.

Thanx in advance!

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had the chart indicting the age of mandatory compliance with the boater education certification. I took a classroom course last year (The jetskier got the highest test score ). My wife has not gotten around to this and I just want to verify when we have to do this.

Thanx in advance!

Jetskier
Jetskier,

This year the age range is 16 to 43, inclusive. That is to say that if you are operating over 25hp and are in that age range you need your BE Cert before operating this year. The little chart is also in the NH boating guide, the little one you keep in your boat’s glove box and that you got from your marina, NHMP or the shows.

She can not drive under your certificate, even with you on the boat.

Can't say as I am disappointed about the Senate's choice to eliminate the on-line testing. MP Officers have said that when they make stops and the offending operator has had a NH certificate, about 80 % took the on-line course. Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Guess there will be a big rush for the real live ask-the-instructor-questions-and-enjoy-the-interaction-with-other-live-boaters type of class. Just like the good old days. Too bad for the out-of-state folks though. That was a good way for them to at least get a bit more out of the NH state laws than they might through some of the agents who administer the temp certs.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation when you NEED a Boat Ed certificate (not just age related)

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had the chart indicting the age of mandatory compliance with the boater education certification. I took a classroom course last year (The jetskier got the highest test score ). My wife has not gotten around to this and I just want to verify when we have to do this. Jetskier
Here's the link to that chart.NH Boater Ed Certificate age/date requirement

In addition to date of birth, there are other circumstances that require that you have a certificate regardless of your age.

For instance, if you let any under age (less than 16 years old I think) take the helm of your vessel (over 25 hp) under your supervision, you MUST have a valid Boater Education Certificate.

Safe boating

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
KonaChick

I thought the on-line course was a good alternative. The only thing that is going to make you a good boater is experience. Wether you take an online course or classroom course, experience is your true teacher.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default 80% Makes sense

The articles is quoted as saying 82% of the boaters took the test online. Simple statistical math would tell you it makes sense that 80% of the violators are also the ones that took the test online.
What am I missing?
When it was 40% online, was the ratio also 40% online and 60% classroom? I bet it was.
Too bad New Hampshire can't keep up with technology. Some people who own a house and only come up for the weekend are not going to want to waste a day in a classroom.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
Woodsy

NVT...

NH has kept up just fine with technology... the issue is that cheating on the internet test abounds... it is essentially an open book test. With a proctored exam you can be sure that the "cheating" while not eliminated, is surely kept to a minimum.

The law doesn't go into effect until Jan 01, 2007 so you still have time to take the internet test. Its really only going to effect the oldest boaters who haven't yet tested and newbie boaters. There is no provision in the law to make those who have taken the exam on the internet re-take the exam. Once the the law goes into effect you can still get all of the material online, but you will be required to have a proctored exam.

Woodsy
Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #12
Merrymeeting

The problem with the online test is that it is on the "honor system". I.e., someone with less honor could take the test while looking up the answers in the training material. If they never studied or really understood the material, they could still pass.

I took the course online, as did my teenagers. But I made sure that they did so without the book and understood the material before doing so.

If they could figure out a way to monitor the testing online, that would work. But the technology isn't there yet.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #13
Gatto Nero

Default Monitored test

I would think a monitored online test would be a pretty simple process. As Woodsy stated, the course matter will still be online so anybody who only comes up infrequently can still do a majority of the work at their leisure. The state could easily set up test stations at town halls or local marinas. These test stations would have access to the same online version of the test that we see now but there would be someone there to verify the identity of the person taking the test. I'm sure if somebody really wanted to cheat the system they could find a way but for the most part I think it would solve the problem without overly inconveniencing anybody.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
jetskier

Thumbs up Boater Safety Test

I would generally agree that experience is the best teacher, however, the value of the instructional material is quite important. It is key to understand the safety requirements of your boat. It is key to understand which boat has the right of way and when. It is key to understand the markers and buoys etc... None of those things are forgiving if you learn by experience.

Personally, I took the online course and then a classroom course. The classroom course was given by the NH Power Squadron and it was much more comprehensive than the online course. I thought that I knew all the material from the online course...wrong! Everyone can benefit from this type of course and I am glad to see it become mandated. The online course is silly; you can open a window to take the test and another to look up the answer. Come on!

As far as safety and courtesy are concerned, we can all stand a course or two...and that coming from a jetskier. Go figure.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #15
jrc

Quote:
... The online course is silly; you can open a window to take the test and another to look up the answer. Come on!

As far as safety and courtesy are concerned, we can all stand a course or two...and that coming from a jetskier. Go figure.

Jetskier
Yes, it is incredibly easy to cheat on the online test. At least in that case the person taking the test has to know the answers at least for that few seconds.

I think the biggest problem with the online test is people taking the test for other people. I've heard of at least one family where one person aced the test for everyone. My wife heard too, and she keeps hinting

This test and the classes for it are no substitute from actual experience operating a boat. The intent is to teach people the rules, not the technique. A state mandated class and test for boat handing and operational skills, would be difficult for many reasons. Not the least of which is the many different kinds of boats.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 AM   #16
SBC

Default Wasting Time, Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer
..... Some people who own a house and only come up for the weekend are not going to want to waste a day in a classroom.
Think about those 'estimated' statistics. Doesn't that tell you that some of those people taking the course on-line are just not getting it? They want to get a piece of plastic that says they passed a test but they don't want to earn that privilege to operate. Just enough to get by...the mantra of underachievers everywhere.

Of all the boaters (even the ones who 'have been boating for 40-whatever years') I have talked to that have taken the classroom course, time and time again they have said that they learned or came away with something that was new or that they didn't know before. There is nothing like an instructor to ask questions of and the interaction with others in a classroom environment to help to learn those most important rules of the road for safe boating.

Anybody else think that is a waste of 7-8 hours for a lifetime certificate?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #17
Woodsy

The new law does not require you to take a classroom course.... It only requires a proctored exam...

Woodsy
Old 04-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #18
KonaChick

Quote:
I would generally agree that experience is the best teacher, however, the value of the instructional material is quite important. It is key to understand the safety requirements of your boat. It is key to understand which boat has the right of way and when. It is key to understand the markers and buoys etc... None of those things are forgiving if you learn by experience.

Personally, I took the online course and then a classroom course. The classroom course was given by the NH Power Squadron and it was much more comprehensive than the online course. I thought that I knew all the material from the online course...wrong! Everyone can benefit from this type of course and I am glad to see it become mandated. The online course is silly; you can open a window to take the test and another to look up the answer. Come on!

Yes agreed jetskier! The value of the instructional material is quite imporant. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can take all the tests in the world either on-line or classroom but the true teacher is still going to be experience. I guess it's a bit redundant because one can't legally be gaining the experience w/out first passing a test according to the law anyway!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #19
William_Philipp

Default I see what you guys are saying..

Online is much easier, but classroom is a pain to go to sometimes. its one of those win-lose situations. I think experience is invaluable as well as instruction. I have taken 2 course, one online and one classroom for different sates,a nd now I am about to take another course for NH, each one is different. I think the online boating exam should just be for a qualified boater. Someone who has the situation like me, I have passed two other courses and really to go through a classroom again is a waste of my time and money, its should just be subject to a minimal few. Or even online can have a higher age limit? maybe 21 or something. Just a few suggestions.
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #20
John A. Birdsall

Default education certificates

Bike week is over, most states I believe have a requirement of classroom education to drive a motor vechicle on the streets, and a test written and driving. this is great.. However their were 10 motor cycle related deaths in NH this past Motor Cycle week. Now add to that the number of people that were killed in the same period driving cars and trucks. All Classroom and on the road experience.

This shoots a hole in my opinion on the boaters education, That being said, I think it is good to have people learn what they are doing prior to doing so. But itt takes a willingness to obey the laws both on land and on water, and that is not being done. Therefore, we need to have fines tripled, registrations pulled, licenses pulled, and if the person is intoxicated, take him into custody and confiscate his boat.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
Bike week is over, most states I believe have a requirement of classroom education to drive a motor vechicle on the streets, and a test written and driving. this is great.. However their were 10 motor cycle related deaths in NH this past Motor Cycle week. Now add to that the number of people that were killed in the same period driving cars and trucks. All Classroom and on the road experience.

This shoots a hole in my opinion on the boaters education, That being said, I think it is good to have people learn what they are doing prior to doing so. But itt takes a willingness to obey the laws both on land and on water, and that is not being done. Therefore, we need to have fines tripled, registrations pulled, licenses pulled, and if the person is intoxicated, take him into custody and confiscate his boat.
We can enact very strict laws and enforce them with stiff fines and people will still occasionally fail to pay attention at some critical juncture and kill or die for it (or trees will fall on them). It's impossible to prepare for every possible situation. I suppose that's what makes religion so popular. Having an afterlife in your plans probably makes passing on easier to deal with.

I am a strong believer in the virtues of good training; even if self-administered, like the online boating course. It's helped me be a better/safer boater. I have to confess that it's been 28 years since I took a classroom boating course. I have kept up with my studies on my own though.

I also like hands-on training, like the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Experienced Rider Course. I don't have any statistics to back it up but I bet folks who passed the MSF ERC are far less likely to be killed (on a motorcycle) than untrained or unlicensed riders, for every mile they ride. There are some things about riding that are just not intuitive for many people and training can make a big difference for them. I took the ERC a few years ago and did not learn anything new, mainly because I am pretty active in the motorcycle "community" and have friends that teach ERC, but lots of my classmates learned a lot of new techniques during the class. It was fun to see them learn how to operate a bike skillfully.

Sadly, I saw very little skilled riding last weekend around the lake. Obviously-skilled riders were tremendously in the minority. My favorite affirmation of lack of skills is the classic "duck walk" you see folks do at slow speeds because they are afraid to lift their feet onto the pegs, lest they tip over. It just screams "Don't ride with me!", to me. That is not a person I'd want on a group ride, not that I go on group rides anymore... My second favorite is the folks you see on sport bikes with their arms straight and elbows locked. That's gotta hurt your wrists pretty quickly.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
We can enact very strict laws and enforce them with stiff fines and people will still occasionally fail to pay attention at some critical juncture and kill or die for it (or trees will fall on them)...

....Sadly, I saw very little skilled riding last weekend around the lake. Obviously-skilled riders were tremendously in the minority. My favorite affirmation of lack of skills is the classic "duck walk" you see folks do at slow speeds because they are afraid to lift their feet onto the pegs, lest they tip over. It just screams "Don't ride with me!", to me. That is not a person I'd want on a group ride, not that I go on group rides anymore... My second favorite is the folks you see on sport bikes with their arms straight and elbows locked. That's gotta hurt your wrists pretty quickly.
You can train and it will reduce accidents but you can't ever stop them completely. People are fallible and fragile, all the training and all the safety gear in the world won't fix that.

A lot of last weekend's riders bought a Harley as their first bike because it was cool. They really don't have a lot of experience riding. They trailer them up and then just ride bar to bar.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #23
William_Philipp

Default Like a car.

Kind of like a person driving a car. Experience does matter sometimes, but others it is completely different matter if someone does something stupid with their car, but they have plenty experience. Experience is key, but not always the best solution.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #24
Rayhunt

Default Hmm

I was told by a MP officer that some if not all the online testers will be grandfathered in..
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:05 PM   #25
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
I was told by a MP officer that some if not all the online testers will be grandfathered in..
I would certainly hope and expect so. How could they possibly do otherwise? Those who took the test online did so when it was a legal and valid way to get certified. They also paid the state for the test and the certificate itself. To not grandfather it would be ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #26
William_Philipp

Default Yeah it would be.

Sure would be ridiculous. I would surely think it will be grandfathered.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:59 PM   #27
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Lifetime Boater Ed Certification (on-line NH course)

The certificate you receive for passing the NH Online course and test will be good for life! The info on their web site was recently updated to announce the "new law".

From the NH Official Boater Ed site

New Hampshire Law Change Goes Into Effect January 1, 2007
Until January 1, 2007, all the current boating safety education rules remain in effect.
Passing the Boat New Hampshire online course is sufficient to get your boating safety certification until year-end 2006.
Beginning in 2007, students must take a proctored, in-person test in order to become certified. So, effective January 1, 2007, an online certification exam will no longer be offered.
Once an individual has become certified, they have fulfilled the requirements of the law. There is no legal obligation to take a boating safety course again. IT IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME REQUIREMENT.
------------------------------

The way I read this it seems clear that once properly certified (even via the NH on-line course and test) you have satisfied your NH requirement for life.

I would not mind a requirement for a routine refresher course every 5 or 10 years but this is the law as it is. So, I expect that the NH on-line course and certificate is good until I don't need one anymore.

BTW: MP told me that my old USCGA Safe Boating course certificate was NOT acceptable because it was too old. They mentioned something about earlier than 1980 (they didn't give me an exact year) did not cover new enough information. I took that course before I was old enough to drive a car. When in doubt, check it out and call MP to be sure.

Safe Boating to all.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #28
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

But then I think there was something said about if you get stopped you have to take a classroom course. A couple of years ago everyone was trying to figure it out. And I think that is the conclusion that was reached.???????
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #29
William_Philipp

Default If you get stopped.

As I knew it in Florida (may be the same may not be) if you got stopped for an illegal action with your boat you got it taken away and then you had to do a classroom course. Like I said in Florida.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #30
Airwaves

Not that I am aware of, I did a google search and came with with nothing like that in NH

When I was at the lake a few years ago and someone got busted for BWI, (no, not me, a guy I met on the dock) he had to take a boating course. Once he did it, he got his money back (fine and boating course as I recall) and he could boat again.

Of course it was Bike Week and he "caught" a bike doing a wheelie in front of Misty Harbor, so he got wrapped up pretty well in bandages and casts so boating didn't happen that weekend!

Regardless, his boat was not seized and I don't think that the NH Marine Patrol can seize a boat today, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 AM   #31
Airwaves

Skip of the CQ wrote:
Quote:
BTW: MP told me that my old USCGA Safe Boating course certificate was NOT acceptable because it was too old. They mentioned something about earlier than 1980 (they didn't give me an exact year) did not cover new enough information. I took that course before I was old enough to drive a car. When in doubt, check it out and call MP to be sure.
I have contacted USGC Aux to see if this statement by the MP officier is true or not. As soon as I hear back I will post the answer. I tend to doubt that the MP officier was correct.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #32
Airwaves

I just want to post the law regarding USCG Aux and USPS courses. You will note they are specifically named in the law exempting folks from the NH boating certificate course.

I still have my question pending to my Flotilla Commander and Division Captain, as soon as I get a response I will post it.

Meanwhile, just for the reason that Skip of the CQ mentioned, I printed the following and I keep it with my USGG Aux safe boating certificate in my wallet. Note that there is no refererence to "prior to" etc.

NH Section 270-D:15 Certificate Not Required.
Title XXII
Navigation; Harbors; Coast Survey
Chapter 270-D
Boating And Water Safety on New Hampshire public Waters
Safe Boater Education
Section 270-D:15
270-D:15 Certificate Not Required. - A person shall not be required to obtain a certificate of boating safety education if the person holds a certificate from any state indicating successful completion of boating safety education that meets or exceeds the requirements of this subdivision, a certiciate from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, or a certificate from the United States Power Squadron.

Source. 2000, 52:3, eff. Jan. 1, 2002.

You might also note that the Coast Guard Aux and Power Squadron certificates are singled out and the wording is such that their certificates do NOT need to meet or exceed requirements of the subdivision.

So in my opinion, based on the wording of the law, the Marine Patrol Officier was wrong and busting your cookies! (Yes, USGCAux and USPS certificates have exceeded NH and NASBLA requirements since before there were NH and NASBLA requirements!)
Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #33
Airwaves

Default CGAux and USPS certificates are valid!

The following is an e-mail that I got via my Division Captain in response to the inquiry about the Coast Guard Auxiliary boating certificates being "too old" in some cases to be recognized in NH.

Quote:
That is not correct information. USCGAux certificates as well as power squadron certificates are honored regardless of when the course was taken. Just got off the phone with Gilford and talked with the #2 person who is well versed in this matter. I take it that MP means a field officer told him this? These kinds of things happen once in a while as the regulations tend to be complicated and the officers get confused. Ron, would you forward this to the people on your mailing list who received the original message?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #34
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the research & info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
The following is an e-mail that I got via my Division Captain in response to the inquiry about the Coast Guard Auxiliary boating certificates being "too old" in some cases to be recognized in NH.
Thanks for the research into the USCGAux Certificate information. Further proof that I don't know everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
I just want to post the law regarding USCG Aux and USPS courses. You will note they are specifically named in the law exempting folks from the NH boating certificate course.
Airwaves quotes applicable law a few messages up.

I replied to your PM with more details. It would not be the first time I got a conflicting answer to the same question from a well intentioned MP representative.

I have the plastic NH Boater Safety Card which is much easier to carry on board than my "old" USCGA certificate anyway. Plus, I think the USCGA cert was on non-waterproof parchment .

Thanks for the correction. Another thing I love about the forum.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #35
SBC

Default Cert Too Old?

Consider that any course that was given over ten years ago did not cover any of the changed and newer NH boating laws, lest we forget the 15hp to 25 hp flip flop over the years, noise regulations this year, increased BWI and MV related penalties a couple years ago, equipment and registration requirements (what? no more little license plates?), to name a few.

It might behoove a vessel operator who has been voyaging on the big pond to get up to speed with a NH Safe Boaters' course just as a refresher, even though they may have all that 'seamanship' under their noggin. And that is a good thing but it always pays to know the laws wherever you may intend to boat, drive, live, travel...when in Rome.

Sure you've had that six pack a while but are you current?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #36
Airwaves

Don't confuse a 6-pack with a boating certificate. A license can be revoked and is only good for a finite period. A certificate is forever.

Obviously if you're headed to a new state you should at the very least pick up the local boaters guide and go through it.