Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
Winniview

Question meredith fireworks

Only lasted 15 minutes.much longer last year.did they cut back for economic reasons or is this what we can now expect.Center harbor's started sooner and lasted longer.
Winniview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
angela4design

Default short, fews

Agreed! I wasn't even sure it was 15 minutes! The past few years have been good, but maybe the city budget fell a bit short this year? That's all I could think of! Fortunately , I had the Boston fireworks on my DVR, so I still got to see a great show (with Neil Diamond), but of course that's not the same.

I wonder how Laconia's show was, as they moved the event to City Hall this year (not at Opechee b/c of the new Middle School). Anyone know?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Moss Creek Media

With budgets being cut everywhere, why do towns even bother with fireworks, it costs ALOT of money to shoot them off, plus all of the extra cops for traffic direction, firetrucks & EMT on hand in case of an accident.
Moss Creek Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss Creek Media View Post
With budgets being cut everywhere, why do towns even bother with fireworks, it costs ALOT of money to shoot them off, plus all of the extra cops for traffic direction, firetrucks & EMT on hand in case of an accident.
We need something to celebrate and be happy for. Too much is "wrong" with the world and not enough is "right". Why take away what we have left? It's expensive, but worth it, in my opinion.
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
vmartino26

It was just about fifteen minutes. I thought they were better than last year's though. If you want to see a good fireworks show next year, just head up to Ashland. They have an outstanding display year after year.
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
angela4design

Default Tough times

I can completely sympathize with economic woes. If they had chosen to cancel the Meredith fireworks - okay - we have choices of nearby events that we could have attended. Or, at least let the public know that they would be scaled back.
I take my son down to the Lions' Rubber Duckie Race, and patronize local Main Street businesses during the day; perhaps they fear that such and influx would be lost without fireworks?
At any rate, even if towns cancel it, should other towns be burdened with the cost of fireworks, for their residents AND neighboring towns? (compromises?) I think there's a solution to be had here, but informing residents is the key element. The towns should manage the expectation, that's all. My 2 cents.

But what a beautiful weekend we FINALLY had for the holiday! Boy, did we EARN that or what?!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
trfour

Default An Added Expense....

for Townships to put on fireworks displays is that Park & Rec employees need to be on hand the following day, to search the grounds for unexploaded piro, that if a child were to pick up and light the very short fuse, it could blow their arm off, or worse!! It's not just about the show, folks, it is the liability of the towns, Cities!!
Think about it!!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah. Ta heck with tradition. Ta Heck with Patriotism. Ta heck with the fact that my taxes help hire and pay those parks and rec employees. Ta heck with the fact that people come up here on the fourth of July, spending money and expecting to see good fireworks. Yeah we don't need the summer folks money do we? Noooooo. So get rid of the fireworks. And take the American flags down around town too. We can't afford to replace those either....Waste of money.
And ya know, maybe your right. Get rid of the fireworks. Take your kids to a Veterans home and introduce them to the men and Women that fought for this country instead. The Men and Women who have stories to tell about why this a free and Democratic country. One where we should be proud to celebrate our Independence on the Fourth of July. Ummm, oh yeah we got rid of the Fireworks didn't we......Oh well. Maybe the Rockets red glare just doesn't mean anything anymore.

Heck, maybe I'd get some sleep if it were quieter......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
angela4design

Default Thumbs Up and Thank Yous for the Vets!

AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Take your kids to a Veterans home and introduce them to the men and Women that fought for this country instead. The Men and Women who have stories to tell about why this a free and Democratic country.
The last person I encountered that I realized was a Veteran (Last week), I shook his hand and thanked him! My son is only 3 1/2, but his grandfathers and great grandfathers served, and I do intend to share with him that Patriotism isn't cookouts and fireworks, it's bravery and courage of our men and women, past and present, who serve our country!

I was recently in the Hall of Flags at the Statehouse while waiting to meet with Gov Lynch, and I stood in front of each and every one of those flags, some battered and burned, and thought about what "that day" was like. Most of those flags are very, very old, but there are flags over US Camps all over the world right now. It's amazing to me to serve our country in that way.

I know this thread is about fireworks, but seriously - Thanks to the Veterans!