Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Dinereater

Default Bobby's Girl Diner

I don't know what's happened, but this place has made a Miraculous Come back! Have you noticed the parking lot is always jammed? We were there for bike week and they had a motorcycle stunt show out front (very cool). And last Saturday we stopped in again for Wild Game marinaded tips totally incredible! and only 13.95! Breakfast is still a little prices but well worth it when you see the portions.
I met with the owners Ron & Mary to tell them how much I thought things had improved and they were supper cordial and both their kids work there now and are doing a fantastic job. I never thought I'd say it but Bobby's Girl is Back!
Dinereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Rinkerfam

That's good to know. We had a good experience there the first time we went several years ago, but could not repeat said experience afterwards. Maybe it will be time for another try. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
jeffk

Default All right

When we started going to the lake regularly in the 90s Bobby's Girl had just opened and it became our on the way up dinner spot. Cool atmosphere, reasonable prices, and lots of good solid food. Then it traded owners and BOOM. We have been by several times over the last few years and it has been so-so, not a place we keep on our go-to list. Good to hear that they have made a comeback. We'll stop again.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Dinereater

Default Bobby's Girl

Ok that the third time I've been there this summer and I just had an outstanding breakfast. Apple Berry Panckes with sausage homefries and two overeasy. 7.95 not including drinks. The service was great and the atmosphere was friendly.And of course all we talked about was The Red Sox "Bay Day Parade" Coined by Ron the owner. Lots of fun.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Dave M

Default Diner - smoking ?

We went there years ago and the smoking drove us out. They had one section that you could smoke. Has this changed.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
twoplustwo

Default NH is smoke free...

...it's the law now, so smoking won't be an issue.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
...it's the law now, so smoking won't be an issue.
And thank heavens for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I smoke, myself, but I could never stand the smoking in restaurants -- ick and disgusting, and rude to be smoking when someone was eating. (Ironic, I'm sure.) When I'm eating I don't want to be breathing in cigarette smoke.

(And PS -- I don't even smoke in my own home, and won't allow it in my home -- it's outside, and away from open windows, or don't smoke on my property if you don't like the rules, lol)
Old 08-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Dinereater

Thumbs up Bobby's Girl Non-smoking

Bobby's Girl was one of the first places in this area to go non-smoking. When rona and Mary took over they changed the whole place before the law went into effect. We went to thier Cruise night last tue. and they were packed had to have had 50 cars. and great music out on the stage. They just built and outside seating area so you can watch the cars, eat and have a beer. It was fun and we'll be going to the end of the year bash which is scheduled for the last weekend in September.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
JimD

Have they gone out of business or do they normally close for the winter?
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
fatlazyless

....well....all the lights are out....the place is empty....nothing is happening....it''s been like this for a month at least...hopefully, the Town of New Hampton will be happy to zero out Bobby Girl's property tax bill or just run a tab.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
AC2717

Default Some insight

I know someone that works there, as far as I know from that person that they are closed for the winter, like they normally do. No news of closing, but I did hear of rumors that the diner car might be sold off
JimD (01-13-2009)
Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
Moss Creek Media

Yes, they are closed for the winter (I live nearby).

And yes, the diner is for sale.

It was never busy, and I found the food to be over priced.

The side entrance was weird too, the waitresses would hang out in the old diner part and patrons wouldn't know where to sit.

In the evenings, they had very few lights on, so it looked like it was closed.

Kirk
Moss Creek Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Moss Creek Media

Here's the for sale page on Bobby's Girl Diner

http://www.businessnation.com/Busine...ls.cgi?ID=2224
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
Shore Driver

I always thought its in kind of a tough location. Good luck with the sale.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #15
HC0209

This was a place me and the family would often visit, but it's been awhile since we've dined there. The food was always good and reasonably priced; I imagine that's its probably the same. Either way it would be ashame to see this place be sold and potentailly become a box store.
HC0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #16
fatlazyless

With the world's best McDonald's restaurant just up the road, it could not have been easy for Bobby's Girl. Meredith McDonald's has a big life sized, animated, talking moosehead set up on a back wall. Besides posting on this forum, ever since my last girlfriend dumped me, I spend half my day having long conversations with that McDonald's moose. It has big long black eyelashes and big brown eyes that roll around! Too bad, no beer there!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
HC0209

YES! I know of that talking Moose you speak of! It was trying to sell me a piece of land in the Bahamas
HC0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
jst_4_kiks

i know that bobbys girl does shut down in the winter (slow season for a summer place), but i didnt know it was for sale again.........always liked the cruise nights and the food was good......too bad.....like to see it still be a diner and not be something else....owell....who knows

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
AC2717

Default Rumor Has it!

Just for out from a somewhat reliable source in the know that Bobby's Girl will not be opening this summer

Anyone confirm this?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Not sure

I am not sure but have heard the same. I would be surprised if they re-open, it is a tough location. There are not enough local homes and people that are on their way to their vacation homes want to either get there or get closer before stopping.

I had not been in a few years, but back then it was sloooooooow which is not how a diner makes money.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #21
WeirsBeachBoater

I also have heard they are not opening. They used to have Cruise Nights, and they told one of the regulars, that it wasn't going to be opening back up.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #22
jmen24

There are some tax liens on the property from the IRS. That is typically the nail in the coffin unless someone else can purchase and get things going, but working through real estate deals that have liens attached requires a keen eye and a good lawyer, or experience.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
twoplustwo

Default from today's Citizen...

Bobby's Girl auction set for mid-July
New Hampton:

By CASONDRA MARDEN
Citizen Intern

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Citing the economic climate and changes in zoning, the owners of Bobby's Girl Diner are leaving the business, and the classic diner on Route 104 is due to be sold at auction next month.

The Elliard family, which ran the diner over the last seven summers, said that because of changes in zoning they were no longer able to develop the close to 12 acres that the diner now sits on. Because further development was hindered, they could no longer afford to operate the business.

The diner is scheduled to be auctioned off on Tuesday, July 14, Bobby's Girl Diner will go up for auction by Meredith Village Savings Bank.

The Elliard family would like to thank their customers and guests for their support over the years.

"We will miss you all," said Mary, Ron, Jonathan, and Alysha Elliard in a statement about the closing.

The diner was made in 1956 by the Worcester Diner Co. and was the last diner the company built. Its original location was Johnston, R.I., where it was known as Lloyd's.

The diner was later moved to Bridgehampton, N.Y., on Long Island where it was watched over by Robert and Gloria Merrill. After three years of sitting on blocks, the diner made one last move to New Hampshire where restorations took place. Bobby's Girl diner opened its doors on Sept. 26, 1994.

Bobby's Girl Diner was known locally for its clever slogans and as a destination for bike week fun.

twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #24
Moss Creek Media

The auction board is up, here's the webpage for it.

Value is just under $500k for 13 acres, and 1191 feet of Rte 104, that seems low, but I'm not a retail business owner.

I wonder if The Common Man is going to bid on it.

http://snipurl.com/kzps8 [www_paulmcinnis_com]

BTW: Here are 2 panoramics I shot at a cruise night back in September '08

http://www.mosscreekmedia.com/post/C...irl-Diner.aspx

Kirk
Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #25
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

From the Laconia Citizen
Quote:
Bobby's Girl Diner will soon become a member of the Common Man family of restaurants after being purchased at auction for $310,000.

Common Man owner Alex Ray made the winning bid of $310,000 at the foreclosure auction of the building on Route 104 in New Hampton on Tuesday.

The diner was put up for auction at noon on Tuesday by Meredith Village Savings Bank and auctioneer Paul McInnis, with the winning bid purchasing the building, property, and fixtures and furnishings.

The 3,100-square-foot restaurant property at 752 Route 104 had an assessed value of $495,950.

Bobby's Girl Diner had been in operation since 1994 and the deed had been listed to Ronald and Mary Elliard since May 16, 2003.

Earlier this summer, the Elliard family announced that it was leaving the business.

The family said that because of changes in zoning they were no longer able to develop the close to 12 acres that the diner now sits on. Because further development was hindered, they could no longer afford to operate the business.

The diner itself was made in 1956 by the Worcester Diner Co. and originally opened up in Johnston, R.I. as Lloyd's. The diner was later moved to Bridgehampton, N.Y. but eventually sat on blocks for three years. The diner then moved to New Hampshire where it was restored and opened as Bobby's Girl Diner on Sept. 26, 1994.

Over 25 prospective owners and other interested people attended the Tuesday auction and had the opportunity to look through the building before the sale.

Bidding began at $250,000 and eventually reached $300,000. A call for $325,000 was reduced to $310,000 after slow bidding. Ray bid $310,000, winning the property.

Ray said he wants to bring the diner back, aiming to have it open around Aug. 15.

"I think it's all about management; it's about the location," Ray said. "It needs some spunk."

The Common Man family currently includes two diners, the Tilt'n Diner in Tilton and the Airport Diner in Manchester. Ray said the diners require a different approach than the rest of the Common Man restaurants and the diners under the Common Man ownership will be managed separately.

"My focus is to have someone we know very well head up the diner division so we can do it in a professional manner," he said.

Ray said the diner is already "in our neck of the woods" and located at the gateway to the White Mountains.

"It is a break point to and from (Exit 23)," he said.

Ray said diners provided his first interest in the food industry. He said he remembered spending time at Paul's Family Diner in Denville, N.J., in 1953 when he was 8 years old, going for fries and a Coke after doing his paper route.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #26
SIKSUKR

It seems that if any company can make that diner work, it would be the Common Man. The Airport Diner in Manchester does a great job. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #27
MaidenCove07

Default They own everything!!!!!

Danged Common Man owns everything in the 93 corridor anymore....UGH!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #28
jst_4_kiks

glad to hear its going to a good company. the diner is right down the street from my dads. the c-man co. will make good use of the property. hope to see it open year round. miss the cruise nights too.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #29
john60ri

Default Bobby's Girl

Surprised to find out that the diner was originally located down here in RI until 1988. We had a nice breakfast there a few years ago. Found some additional info on the "Diner Hotline" website.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #30
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Speaking of Common Man, we went to a function recently and it was catered by them. People complained it was not very good. It was cold, (maybe because they served in courses and slowly) not particulary tasty, and not enough. Has any one else had a good or bad experience with their catering?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #31
Moss Creek Media

I was hoping Alex would buy it. The other 2 diner's he owns do very well.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #32
fatlazyless

You probably noticed that the former Bobby's Girl has just reopened as the Route 104 Dinner. Without commenting on the food or the remodel and just looking at the sign out front.......what do you think........is their new sign effective in promoting the biz or should it go back to the drawing board for a re-do?

Seems to me it needs a re-do for an easier to read and more plain or more bold sign that is no problem to read from on down the road. ...just my 1 1/2 cents......whatdayathink......sign could be made easier to identify or read.....and no, I don't need eyeglasses!........
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #33
Patiently Watching

I have not had an opportunity to drive by and check it out, but I am sure it will do well. The Common Man is very consistent and run clean, inviting restaurants. Their food may not be the most exciting, but they work hard to make up for it in other areas.
The sample menu they post online (appears to be from another of their restaurants) is quite broad. Seems a bit much for a diner, but they should be able to appeal to everyone.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #34
fatlazyless

Driving past that sign again, I know what it is......Route 104 is a state highway and therefore all the state signs have the Old Man of the Mountain design on the left side. Unfortunately, the new dinner used the federal road crest design. Oh well......not the end of the road.....but still too bad....besides methinks the state road design with the Old Man makes for a better visual effect.....plus of course.....it kind of seems like a no-brainer what with Comman Man having about ten different NH locations.

Apparently, they took the Route 104 name which is a State of NH road and and display it as a federal road.........shesh.....there ought to be a law against that......