Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Moss Creek Media

Default New AT&T cell towers online in Meredith and around the lake

October 1st a bunch of new towers went online for AT&T around the Lakes Region

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-63084657.html

"As part of its continuing network investment to support growing demand for advanced mobile devices and services, AT&T* today announced the activation of seven new cell sites in Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Moultonborough, Ossipee and Wolfeboro that will enhance coverage for area residents and businesses in and around New Hampshire's Lakes Region. By the end of the year, three additional sites are planned in Meredith and Ossipee."

I also noticed today on Twitter that the AT&T PR rep (http://twitter.com/k8att) posted..

"More bars! AT&T has just turned up a new cell site in Meredith, New Hampshire"

I didn't notice when I was in town today, but next time I head over there, I'll check to see if I get 5 bars all through the area.

Wonder if they'll ever fix the dead spot on Route 104
Moss Creek Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
searay220

Has anyone noticed if they can get service in Winter Harbor now?
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ...cell tower for a neighbor?

Just up the hill from the Meredith roundabout on Route 3, there's a cell phone tower that is relatively short in height. The transmitter-receiver hardware at the top of the short tower is about 3-4 stories up.

It is directly next door to the new Meredith Bay assisted living building. Not knowing much about how cell towers work, it would appear that the radio transmissions must go directly through the Meredith Bay building when communicating to the east.

The cell tower predates the large assisted living facility by a few years.

The distance between the top of the tower and the Meredith Bay building is only about 100' which sure seems close? Cell phone towers and an elderly, or an injury recovery, assisted living population don't exactly go together like hot dogs and mustard.

Any 80 or 90-something year old residents over at Meredith Bay who have a pace maker implanted into your chest.......any chance you've been able to listen in on cell phone calls via your pace maker......how's that cell tower just next door working for you?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-31-2009 at 08:11 AM.
fatlazyless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
BrownstoneNorth

Default No improvement

I got all excited when I received that press release by email from ATT, shortly before we spent two weeks in and around Wolfeboro. If anything, the service was worse. We have WiFi in our Wolfeboro house, so I can get internet and email that way at home on my Bberry, but for calls I have to use my husband's Verizon cell phone.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

From what I can tell on the AT&T coverage map, they will be supporting GPRS here, with up to 115Kb data speeds in the lakes region. No support for 3G (broadband) here like Verizon offers. November 6'th, the Verizon Droid comes out - competition for the iPhone. I'm going to get an iPhone or Droid before the year is out. AT&T's announcement has me thinking again - the iPhone has its benefits - but then Verizon will give me more speed and the Droid has some cool features (if you can believe the marketing). Any advice?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
granitebox

Subject to coverage issues, the iPhone, IMO, is 2nd to none. The interface alone is unbelievable, accomplishing any task is very intuitive and even without 3G, most functions are still faster than Verizon's.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
Subject to coverage issues, the iPhone, IMO, is 2nd to none. The interface alone is unbelievable, accomplishing any task is very intuitive and even without 3G, most functions are still faster than Verizon's.
As a now former longtime Verizon customer and 4 year former blackberry owner and current AT&T iPhone user i could not agree more with the above statement. This phone(I am posting from my iPhone now) absolutely blows away anything on the market, hands down. The speed interface operation applications it is all so unbeleivably awesome! I am so glad I dumped my blackberry!!!!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
granitebox

I am also a former Verizon customer and live in an area without 3G (I actually have turned off the 3G functionality to extend battery life) -
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
My experience is different. I had a blackberry on Verizon, and then downgraded that to a standard flip phone and got an iPhone. Shortly after, I kept the iPhone but also went back to a blackberry on Verizon.

I use both every day. The iPhone has it's benefits, but the AT&T network pretty much sucks nationwide. I frequently get better/faster service on my blackberry than what AT&T can deliver to my iPhone. There are pockets where the iPhone has really good network speed, but AT&T is pretty much getting trounced for having a network that is not holding up to the user demands.

The iPhone is also missing simple external notifiers like an LED for missed calls or new messages, so if you're away from your phone for a while you need to pick it up, swipe to unlock and look for new message indicators. The blackberry just flashes a red LED to show missed calls/messages.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
hazelnut

In a perfect world it would be nice to have both that is for sure!

Iphone pluses compared to my Blackberry are mostly related to the phone itself. I do live in a city so service is not an issue with AT&T. When I come up to the lake next I am going to do some testing of the service. I'll let you know my experience. Anyway service wise I am thrilled with AT&T here in my home town. Especially in my office where I had zero bars with Verizon and now have a full 5 bars. So the two places I spend the most time work and home have full service. Could not say the same for Verizon. That's the personal side of the equation.

Here is the rest.
The Iphone itself has so many uses it is mind boggling. It really is all about the apps. For example:

RedLaser
http://www.redlaser.com/
Actually scans product bar-codes and finds better prices for you.

Cardstar
http://www.mycardstar.com/
You know all those annoying cards you carry around, Shaws, CVS, etc. well punch in all the info and your phone is now your membership card

Shazam
http://www.shazam.com/music/web/pages/iphone.html
Listening to a great song and you have NO IDEA what the song is. Turn on this app and it listens to the song and then tells you the name and links you to Itunes where you can buy it directly on the phone.

Oh yeah did I also mention I use my Iphone as a kindle reader? Yeah there's an app for that.
Kindle
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000301301
I'm currently reading a Harlan Coben book on it. I have the hard cover version (Thanks to sa Meredith) but I also have the kindle version on my phone in case I am somewhere, like a waiting room, and want to read a bit of the book.

Oh and that is 4 out of 60+ apps on my phone and counting. Did I mention that I like the phone?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Formula

Default In House Repeater

I had Verizon with a Blackberry until recently. My Wife has the AT&T service and not much service around our house at the end of Long Island. What I found out with my ne I-Phone is that I get less bars than my wife’s flip phone on the same service. The service is so tricky that if I stand on one leg in my family room I can get 2-3 bars but if i sit down in the same room I get no bars.
I plan on trying one of those in-home power repeaters. Has anyone tried one that they could recommend?
Thanks
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
magicrobotmonkey

I've already pre-ordered my droid! I agree that the iphone currently has the upper hand in apps, but as android (the operating system on the droid and quite a few other phones) gains market share, its app store will start to become as full as the iphones.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrobotmonkey View Post
I've already pre-ordered my droid! I agree that the iphone currently has the upper hand in apps, but as android (the operating system on the droid and quite a few other phones) gains market share, its app store will start to become as full as the iphones.
As a tech junky I can't wait to see it but... Wasn't the envy, the storm and every other phone supposed to be an iPhone killer? It seems that every launch of a new phone targeted at trying to overtake the iPhone falls so miserably short. Trust me as a Verizon customer I was always waiting, hoping, and praying for the next big thing to come to Verizon. I was always so disappointed. I have a few friends that have their BB Storms. There is no comparison in terms of OS and apps. I am so underwhelmed with those phones.

Apple just gets it, the ease of operation, the management of the phone through Itunes is so simple. My phone works so well with my work MS Outlook server, calendar, email. Way better than my blackberry ever hoped it could. I have my doubts that any phone will be able to catch up with the Applications market. 75,000 applications for the iPhone and counting. Not to mention the delivery system.

Itunes is a staple application for so many people it was a homerun for Apple to tie the phone to Itunes. You manage all your music, contact and photo settings, mail settings, applications in one simple easy to use platform on a Mac or a PC. The Blackberry Syncing system stunk out loud on a Mac and the PC version isn't much better. I wonder how the Droid will overcome this very important part of the equation.

If this website is ANY indication of the Droid I am skeptical of the impact this phone will have on the market:

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/

Talk about a cluttered and confused mess. I hope the phone is nothing like that website. I will of course wait to pass judgment after the release of the phone. I want to see it in action.

Testing AT&T around the lake today I found the network to be pretty weak. I did notice that I had to go into the control panel to shut off the 3G option to maintain a consistent signal around the lake. Any other iPhone users want to confirm this for me? Is this something that you have to do when you are in the area? After I figured that out, I was getting decent service in most places. Meredith was the best. Tuftonboro was not so much.

One thing Verizon does have is unparalleled network coverage. Clear cut hands down winner. Not even a contest.

Last edited by hazelnut; 11-01-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
One thing Verizon does have is unparalleled network coverage. Clear cut hands down winner. Not even a contest.
I agree. I was a former AT&T and Sprint customer.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #15
John A. Birdsall

Default usage

So with all this useful information will my at&t cell phone work in Alton Bay?
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
VtSteve

At least T&T is trying to get better. My iPhone has better service here than any Verizon Phone I've ever had. It will probably be at leats 2 years before Verizon updates their services and gets the iPhone, maybe not even then. I'll just move to accommodate it
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #17
Moss Creek Media

I find I use the apps more than I make calls on my iPhone.

I love the location aware (gps) apps like searching for restaurants near where you are, or getting weather data by location.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
jetskier

Post A bit off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
At least T&T is trying to get better. My iPhone has better service here than any Verizon Phone I've ever had. It will probably be at leats 2 years before Verizon updates their services and gets the iPhone, maybe not even then. I'll just move to accommodate it
This is a rather odd data point. I have not had any Verizon coverage issue anywhere around the lake; if you have a very old analog phone, perhaps coverage would be an issue. The Verizon coverage map covers the entire lakes region.In addition, Verizon will be picking up the Android phone and that will compete directly with the iPhone.

I deal professionally with both Verizon Wireless and AT&T Wireless. The Verizon Wireless technical team is much better than AT&T Wireless and they continue to make significant investment in their network. They are building the first large scale LTE network. Clearly, I don't have a vested interest in either company, but Verizon Wireless has a much better network. Historically, AT&T Wireless has had better handhelds.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
Moss Creek Media

I asked the AT&T PR rep on twitter when the dead spot on Route 104 and the deadspot in Sanbornton on I-93 will be fixed.

Her techs said that Route 104 should be online by the end of this year.

Sanbornton is slated for next year's budget.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
Pineedles

I want to thank all you folks for this discussion about technology. It is very informative, and I appreciate it.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
As a tech junky I can't wait to see it but... Wasn't the envy, the storm and every other phone supposed to be an iPhone killer? It seems that every launch of a new phone targeted at trying to overtake the iPhone falls so miserably short. Trust me as a Verizon customer I was always waiting, hoping, and praying for the next big thing to come to Verizon. I was always so disappointed. I have a few friends that have their BB Storms. There is no comparison in terms of OS and apps. I am so underwhelmed with those phones.

Apple just gets it, the ease of operation, the management of the phone through Itunes is so simple. My phone works so well with my work MS Outlook server, calendar, email. Way better than my blackberry ever hoped it could. I have my doubts that any phone will be able to catch up with the Applications market. 75,000 applications for the iPhone and counting. Not to mention the delivery system.

Itunes is a staple application for so many people it was a homerun for Apple to tie the phone to Itunes. You manage all your music, contact and photo settings, mail settings, applications in one simple easy to use platform on a Mac or a PC. The Blackberry Syncing system stunk out loud on a Mac and the PC version isn't much better. I wonder how the Droid will overcome this very important part of the equation.

If this website is ANY indication of the Droid I am skeptical of the impact this phone will have on the market:

Talk about a cluttered and confused mess. I hope the phone is nothing like that website. I will of course wait to pass judgment after the release of the phone. I want to see it in action.

Testing AT&T around the lake today I found the network to be pretty weak. I did notice that I had to go into the control panel to shut off the 3G option to maintain a consistent signal around the lake. Any other iPhone users want to confirm this for me? Is this something that you have to do when you are in the area? After I figured that out, I was getting decent service in most places. Meredith was the best. Tuftonboro was not so much.

While I agree that the Iphone is cool and compared to my BBerry is more of a play thing than a work thing. I still believe that Apple does not get it, when it comes to what customers want. Why would you partner a phone like this with a sub-par network like At&t. It is like going out and buying Porsche GT3 and only being able to drive in school zones. No matter how cool the item is, if you cannot take advantage of all its functions all the time, why bother. It kind of fits with Verizons TV ad, "Look paper weight Mode." My BB is on US cellular and while I have no 3G, I do have data and service in our entire market area, the owners same BB on verizon does not (in the dartmouth/sunapee side of the state). It is more important to me that the phone actually works were I need it, than what it can do. Hazelnut, it sounds like this was one big reason for your switch, when we looked into them for company phones the network would not even be worth the hassle.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #22
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
While I agree that the Iphone is cool and compared to my BBerry is more of a play thing than a work thing. I still believe that Apple does not get it, when it comes to what customers want. Why would you partner a phone like this with a sub-par network like At&t.
Rumors abound, but the story is that Apple shopped it to Verizon first but the deal fell apart. Verizon wanted too much control/crippling over the phone (believable based on how they have crippled basic Bluetooth functionality on other devices and so on).

Also remember that is was originally on Cingular before AT&T bought Cingular, and that at the time Cingular was looking to really trying to 1-up Verizons network.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #23
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
While I agree that the Iphone is cool and compared to my BBerry is more of a play thing than a work thing. I still believe that Apple does not get it, when it comes to what customers want. Why would you partner a phone like this with a sub-par network like At&t. It is like going out and buying Porsche GT3 and only being able to drive in school zones. No matter how cool the item is, if you cannot take advantage of all its functions all the time, why bother. It kind of fits with Verizons TV ad, "Look paper weight Mode." My BB is on US cellular and while I have no 3G, I do have data and service in our entire market area, the owners same BB on verizon does not (in the dartmouth/sunapee side of the state). It is more important to me that the phone actually works were I need it, than what it can do. Hazelnut, it sounds like this was one big reason for your switch, when we looked into them for company phones the network would not even be worth the hassle.
While I don't specifically know the details I have to assume that Apple partnered with AT&T because Verizon refused to concede certain points in the negotiating process. I am sure apple wanted to retain certain controls that Verizon would not budge on. AT&T probably conceded those point to Apple in order to gain market share. I'm thinking Apple used AT&T to establish strength in the market in order to have the upper hand with Verizon on the next go around negotiating a contract to provide the phone. Verizon should be shouldering some of the blame in all this.

Apple are and will always be control freaks. That has been their business model for as far back as I can remember. While it hasn't always worked you can't argue with their successes over the past several years. Their hardware is superior to the average box PC. While some see Apple as a fad or fashion statement the truth is that Apple does a better job with the hardware. Go pick up a Macbook and then grab the average PC notebook. No comparison, the devices running Windows are usually cheap and flimsy. The iPhone is a classic example of a piece of Hardware that is superior in design, look and feel.

Microsoft has allowed anyone and everyone to make devices for their software. Some people argue that is what makes Microsoft so great. I guess if you don't care who is slapping a box together and putting your name on the box. The average PC user with a problem has no idea where to turn. First they call the manufacturer, then they are directed to Microsoft, then back and forth etc. When I have a problem with any of my Apple devices I go to one location. I can even walk into a retail store and have it diagnosed and fixed on the spot. The overall customer satisfaction of owning an Apple device is far superior to any PC manufacturer on the planet. That is a fact. The phone is no different. It is an extension of the company and it's goal of not allowing bastardized clones of their hardware.

Note- This is not a commentary on Microsoft's business model in terms of profitability. Obviously one of the most successful companies in the history of the world. It is a question of current consumer satisfaction. There is a reason why Apple continues to gain market share. People are finally getting it and realizing that ownership of a Personal Computer does not have to be an anxiety filled nightmare.

Most consumers shy away due to the price points that are nearly double the average PC. In this case you really get what you pay for. I use and have used both platforms PC and Mac for over 20 years now. While my desktop PC has its purpose my Mac is and always be the best computer I own. It sounds cliche but it just works.

Recently my Mother in Law bought a Dell Laptop. She turned to me to help her with the setup of the laptop and network. I was blown away how confusing it would be to the average user. I was able to take care of everything for her relatively easily but as I was explaining it to her I was laughing. She was like "what is so funny?" I said well if this were a Mac I'd say turn it on and start using it. Because it is a PC we are on step 346 out of 452. ha ha ha.

Anyway I disagree with your statement "compared to my BBerry is more of a play thing than a work thing."

Shockingly I felt that same way you feel before I owned my iPhone. The email client alone is enough to disprove that statement. Now lets move on to how the iPhone integrates with my work Outlook server, calendar etc. It absolutely hands down works so much better than my Blackberry ever did for the 2+ years I owned it.

Jmen can you tell I love talking about this stuff? ha ha ha
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #24
Argie's Wife

I've been wanting to start a Lakes Region Mac Users Group - PM me if you're interested. We can meet wherever/whenever - as long as it's here in the LR.

====

I know why Apple picked AT&T and it was for the reason that AT&T has the largest customer base for a true G3 network. Most wireless providers are residual of the AT&T breakup and others have been consumed by AT&T via mergers. Verizon cannot do data and voice at the same time and is not a true G3 network - unlocked or jailbroken iPhones on the Verizon network do not do that well.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
WOW! I find it the opposite. After 'mystery shopping' with an IPhone and BlackBerry, AT&T and Sprint respectively, north of Concord up to the Canadian border. The Verizon network is a clear winner. I am using a Treo on the Verizon network.

I also notice the Treo is 'dual band'. Not sure about the IPhone and BB. I can tell when Verizon jump a band by the digital/analog mode icon. Maybe that is why Verizon shows better coverage north of Concord.

I actually like the old Treo better. I just upgraded from a 700w to 700wx. And the OS from mobile 5 to mobile 6. The mobile 5 OS only allow me to do one task at a time. I can't use the phone and use the network at the same time. With Mobile 6, it is pretty slick to talk to someone while searching the internet!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #26
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
unlocked or jailbroken iPhones on the Verizon network do not do that well.
Uh, where did you get that statement from? AT&T's network and Verizon's network use completely different signaling technologies. It is physically impossible for an iPhone to work on Verizon's CDMA network, no matter what state the software is in.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #27
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Uh, where did you get that statement from? AT&T's network and Verizon's network use completely different signaling technologies. It is physically impossible for an iPhone to work on Verizon's CDMA network, no matter what state the software is in.
Uh, isn't that what I just said?

Uh, read my statement again. Google it. Research it. I have. My findings were you can get the iPhone on the network BUT it takes heavy modification to make it work and voids warrantees and updates. You can buy them on eBay for a pretty penny and the responses from buyers are that they work. There's a rumor that there's going to be multiple versions of the iPhone coming out in 2010, including a CDMA version.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
Argie's Wife

All this being said, I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the DRIOD by Motorola...

...and I stand corrected... the Driod was mentioned... I didn't catch it in the earlier posts because the company Motorola wasn't mentioned...

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 11-03-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #29
brk-lnt

Quote:
No, it's not what you said. Your message said that they "do not do that very well", in relation to being able to support voice and data connections simultaneously. The reality is that it doesn't work AT ALL, which is IMO quite a step beyond [not] very well.

Quote:
Uh, read my statement again. Google it. Research it. I have. My findings were you can get the iPhone on the network BUT it takes heavy modification to make it work and voids warrantees and updates. You can buy them on eBay for a pretty penny and the responses from buyers are that they work. There's a rumor that there's going to be multiple versions of the iPhone coming out in 2010, including a CDMA version.
Anything you saw or read is simply a scam and a complete fabrication. "Heavy modification" would involve removing and replacing the radio and related chips inside the iPhone itself. It would also rely on people being able to get pin-compatible replacement chips and changing the whole structure of the iPhone from being GSM/SIM based to being CDMA based.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #30
nhlongislander

Default AT &T Microcells

Check out this site: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

Help for AT&T iphone users is on the way. AT&T is rolling out 3G micro cells. These work like routers, giving you 3G access that includes sending and receiving cellphone calls over the internet. Cost is $150 one time charge.

It doesn't solve issues driving around the Lake, but will solve problems in the home.
nhlongislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #31
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlongislander View Post
Check out this site: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

Help for AT&T iphone users is on the way. AT&T is rolling out 3G micro cells. These work like routers, giving you 3G access that includes sending and receiving cellphone calls over the internet. Cost is $150 one time charge.

It doesn't solve issues driving around the Lake, but will solve problems in the home.
That's interesting, but all it really is is a cellular to Ethernet router. So all your calls will get converted to VoIP (or a similar variant) and are carried over your cable modem or DSL line. So, you get to pay for broadband Internet service, then pay $150 for the microcell to make up for AT&T's limited network coverage? Sorry to sound cynical, but they should be GIVING those things away, not requiring customers to subsidize their network shortcomings.

I'm not sure about the one-time charge. From looking at their site the goofy videos say you can sign-up for additional unlimited-minutes plans, or have it bill against your existing minutes. I guess the device is only $150, but it does not give you flat-rate local VoIP calls like many people might expect.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #32
nhlongislander

You do need a broadband connection to make it work. It is a bit confusing, but I did confirmm that there is no addl cost to the user other than the cost of the microcell. I've searched the web, and people who have installed it say they get 5 bars consistently. You are correc that they should give them away, but to get service I'm willing to pay at this point - I love my iPhone too much
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #33
nhlongislander

I should add it piggy backs on your AT&T cell plan - so whatever minutes you have is applied to all calls including those over the microcell
Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #34
Ryan

Quote:
You do need a broadband connection to make it work. It is a bit confusing, but I did confirmm that there is no addl cost to the user other than the cost of the microcell. I've searched the web, and people who have installed it say they get 5 bars consistently. You are correc that they should give them away, but to get service I'm willing to pay at this point - I love my iPhone too much
I have a friend that had a microcell at his home from Sprint. If he was talking on his cell, then drove away in his car, the call would drop as soon as he left the range of the microcell. It's a pretty poor substitute for a good carrier.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #35
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
No, it's not what you said. Your message said that they "do not do that very well", in relation to being able to support voice and data connections simultaneously. The reality is that it doesn't work AT ALL, which is IMO quite a step beyond [not] very well.

Anything you saw or read is simply a scam and a complete fabrication. "Heavy modification" would involve removing and replacing the radio and related chips inside the iPhone itself. It would also rely on people being able to get pin-compatible replacement chips and changing the whole structure of the iPhone from being GSM/SIM based to being CDMA based.

Sorry but "don't do well" and "don't work"... I don't see a diff. Whatever

I'm not willing to play with a phone costing big $$$ to find out if it will work... obviously it will to some degree because of the chips, as you described, which was my findings, along with altering the firmware. But I don't think it's all fabrication. The chips you wrote about are available on eBay, so it's not THAT much of a stretch. So they CAN work - contrary to your saying "doesn't work at all". There's videos on how to do it and companies that say they can do it for you, if you send them your iPhone and pay a fee. People are unlocking and selling jailbroken phones so there's some truth to it. I've considered it - but like I said, I'm not willing to roll the dice myself.

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 11-03-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #36
VtSteve

Quote:

That wouldn't make any sense. Verizon is slowly switching away from CDMA as we speak.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
woodynh

Default How Do I Get This Improved Service From ATT?

I am confused. I am reading about these cell sites that ATT has put in to improve service but I have no better service then before and still am not using any ATT service but Unicell.

I live in Moultonboro not just visiting on weekends or ocasionally here. I have had ATT phone service for the last 1.5 years. I see absolutely no change in service from 1.5 years ago. My phone is only a phone (Motorola Razor) with a 603 area code. If I try and dial a 603 exchange without the area code it says welcome to Unicell and an area code must be dialed to complete the call. I verified this tonight while driving through Meredith. My best signal in the area is still downtown Meredith and always has been

I have a mobile broadband card in my computer and it absolutely will not get any signal at my home in Moultonborough just over the Center Harbor town line.

I read the posted link about improved service with cell sites in Moultonborough but still only have one and at best 2 bars of signal in this town and no mobile broadband.

So my question is how do I get this new and improved service? Is there anything that needs to be updated on the phone and broadband card?
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #38
brk-lnt

Quote:
I should add it piggy backs on your AT&T cell plan - so whatever minutes you have is applied to all calls including those over the microcell
BTW - here is one user's review of the AT&T microcell:

http://paulstamatiou.com/review-att-3g-microcell

Interesting write up. Seems like a good option for folks in GA and NC
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #39
nhlongislander

The earlier the better, but hopefully it will be available by next summer for those of us that summer here.