Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
dmjr

Default President Bush Coming for the NASCAR Race??

Hello! I have heard from a couple of people today that President George W. Bush is going to be attending the up coming Nextel Cup Race at NHIS this month. Is this true?
Thank You
dmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
trfour

Post Did a search

Hi dmjr,

Coudn't find any conformation out at Nascar.com or Thatsracin.com.

With New Hampshire being at the forefront in the politicle circle of our Nation, it would not surprise me if the President visited us here at the largest sporting event in our State.

A little side story,

I am a mechanic, by trade, heavy trucks and equipment. I was working on some heavy equipment in Manchester earlier this year at a costruction site next to the Manchester Airport with a great view of the runways when a military C5A came in for a landing. My heart started pumping faster as I watched. Then all of a sudden the skys were full of helicopter gunships on patrol around the airport. at this point, it's a good thing that I did not have my camera with, as I would have not gotten any work done! Then after a while, here comes Air Force One in for a landing!
Got to see the motorcade running down the runway leaving the airport on a politicle stop by our President for his two hour visit here.

I am going to tell you, I enjoyed this day, and mannaged to get my work done, as well!!

Thanks

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 09-05-2004 at 03:24 PM. Reason: C R S
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Hope he stays away

A Nascar race is no place for a sitting president. The security requirements are just too great, and make it a real pain for regular citizens that go. There are the traffic jams when nobody can move during his arrival and departure. There are the SS (secret service) goons arresting anyone that smells like a threat. With the way this campaign has been going, anyone that boos may also be expelled from the track as a threat to America. It is a campaign stunt and will detract from the value of the event itself. During the primaries, we see the the same problems, but that is justified, because it is part of the election process. This is not! I doubt my ticket price will be cut in half to compensate for being forced to behave in a federal way.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Looks like Lakegeezer is one of those wild-eyed lefties....probably just back from the New York demonstrations.I for one will be happy to see the president visit our track.Anyway,not to worry.Somehow I doubt that Lakegeezer is a NASCAR kind of guy.He wouldn't want to trudge through all that beer and ruin his Birkenstocks.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:55 AM   #5
The Skipper

Question Yes, it's true. No, I don't think he's coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjr
Hello! I have heard from a couple of people today that President George W. Bush is going to be attending the up coming Nextel Cup Race at NHIS this month. Is this true?
Thank You
I have no doubt that you heard this from a couple of people. So, to answer the question as you asked it, YES. I think it is true, I believe you heard this. Just because you really heard it does not mean that it is accurate information.

Do I think the President's team is going to promote a visit to NHIS. Nope. They would keep it a high security surprise. Why give terrorists more time to plan something? We heard more about Brittney Spears buying on Governors Island (apparently a false rumor) than about the President coming to NHIS. If the word were out about a Presidential visit to NHIS I think we would have heard more about it already.

If he did come, would he be staying at the Bahre Estate on Clay Point? I hear there is more construction on his compound, maybe another house. he could also come in by 'copter rather than causing more traffic headaches with a motorcade. But, if I were to bet, I'd say that the President is not coming to watch NASCAR at NHIS.

Last edited by The Skipper; 09-05-2004 at 08:02 AM. Reason: add icon
The Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
trfour

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
A Nascar race is no place for a sitting president. The security requirements are just too great, and make it a real pain for regular citizens that go. There are the traffic jams when nobody can move during his arrival and departure. There are the SS (secret service) goons arresting anyone that smells like a threat. With the way this campaign has been going, anyone that boos may also be expelled from the track as a threat to America. It is a campaign stunt and will detract from the value of the event itself. During the primaries, we see the the same problems, but that is justified, because it is part of the election process. This is not! I doubt my ticket price will be cut in half to compensate for being forced to behave in a federal way.
I beg to differ with you on this one, Lakegeezer, and will tell you why.

If any of us do not stand up to any of todays threats, here or around the world, God Help Us! And God be with all of the Floridians through the storm they are going through at this hour.

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/head...res/index.html

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 09-05-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Ski Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour

I beg to differ with you on this one, Lakegeezer, and will tell you why.

If any of us do not stand up to any of todays threats, here or around the world, God Help Us! And God be with all of the Floridians through the storm they are going through at this hour.

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/head...res/index.html
Huh? Your statement makes no sense. What in that post were you responding to?
Ski Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:52 PM   #8
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Man
Huh? Your statement makes no sense. What in that post were you responding to?
Hi, Ski Man,

Sorry for any confusion, on my part.

This Great Country of Our's, has been threatened, since Day One! And before.
George Washington, did not climb into a bomb shelter, and wait for the world to end!

A sitting President of our Great Country, shoulld go where ever he dicides to go, at any time!
It may not be, "by some", the correct thing to do, at the moment, and so, he, will pay the political price in history.

Before and after the attacks on us here, Sep 11, On New York, and Washington, I think it of uttmost Importance for a sitting President of Our Country to show his support, by visiting all of us, Where ever, " In The Eye Of Terror, or anywhere else! "

Hope this helps.

Last edited by trfour; 09-08-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:32 AM   #9
madrasahs

Default This morning's Boston Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
A Nascar race is no place for a sitting president. The security requirements are just too great, and make it a real pain for regular citizens that go. There are the traffic jams when nobody can move during his arrival and departure. There are the SS (secret service) goons arresting anyone that smells like a threat...anyone that boos may also be expelled from the track as a threat to America....I doubt my ticket price will be cut in half to compensate for being forced to behave in a federal way.
Boston Herald:

"[Bush will be]...visiting the New Hampshire International Speedway next weekend and declaring, 'Start your engines!' Bush will participate in the opening of the Sylvania 300 NASCAR race in Loudon a week from tomorrow before heading to Derry for an 'Ask President Bush' event."

http://news.bostonherald.com/electio...rticleid=43753

Precedent: "February 15, 2004, DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - U.S. President George W. Bush gave the "Gentlemen, start your engines" cry Sunday to begin NASCAR's Daytona 500 in a high-profile speedway visit to court the votes of the millions of fans of one of America's fastest-growing..."
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsport...349302-ap.html

(I Remember a president attending a NASCAR race -- it was Darlington 1992 -- and the president was booed so resoundingly that his face turned bright red, and he left before the start of the race.)

Last edited by madrasahs; 09-11-2004 at 09:19 AM. Reason: In Today's News
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #10
Ski Man

Yes, well, they're not the most respectful bunch, are they?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:27 AM   #11
gtxrider

I seem to remember President Reagan at the July 4th, 1984 race in Dayton the day Richard Petty won number 200.

If the President wants to go to the race he can. You can bet there will be lots on men in suits with radio ear pieces and a strange bulge in the chest area of their jackets all around the President.

I hope he enjoys the week end and I bet he will not be booed.

Last edited by gtxrider; 09-13-2004 at 12:33 AM.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 AM   #12
MikeWelsch1559

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjr
Thank You
I hope he is comming Bush is a great president!!!
MikeWelsch1559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #13
Coastal Laker

Default It was in the paper

I read it in the Citizen I think... or the Concord Monitor. I haven't the motivation to search the sites to double check. If I recall correctly, it was mentioned as probable but not definite.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #14
Fancy

As for "booing" the President - I agree that it is disrespectful, but my understanding is that, in general, politicians who appear at sporting events are generally booed for some reason. I am a sports fan myself, and I don't get it, but I guess it's common - no matter the politician.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Article in Wednesday's Monitor. Avoid Rts. 393/4/9/202 and 106 on Sunday Afternoon!
click for article

Last edited by mcdude; 09-15-2004 at 06:35 AM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #16
Bubba

Post Yes, The 'W' is coming.

DMJR,

Yes, the man will be at the race for the beginning. He has another stop later, so he will not be staying for race. Just the start.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #17
Waterbaby

Default Respectful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Man
Yes, well, they're not the most respectful bunch, are they?

Skiman, who is the "they" you are referring to in this post?
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:58 AM   #18
Ski Man

The race fans who would boo the president.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #19
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Article in Wednesday's Monitor. Avoid Rts. 393/4/9/202 and 106 on Sunday Afternoon!
click for article
Well would you look at that, McDude has reached 500 with his post in this thread!
(Had to return the favor and point that out to everyone. )
Will the traffic be crazy on Saturday too?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:30 AM   #20
PROPELLER

Default Traffic

It all depends on your timing. I use 106 every weekend to go to the lake. My experience has been that if the race on Sunday is still running when you go by you sail through like any normal Sunday because spectators are not leaving yet. So I listen for the end of the race to make my plans. If it ends early enough, I will wait a couple hours enjoying the lake. Depending on what time yo go by on Saturday it could be busy because there is a truck race & a Busch race but I suspect the number of spectators for those races is nothing like Sundays race.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:27 PM   #21
Waterbaby

ty for answering. i've been to many races in Loudon, in fact I am a "diehard" race fan (just ask my husband, lol), that is why i asked the question. Gov. Benson has been at some of the races and he wasn't booed, and I cannot imagine that W will be booed on Sunday. just wanted to clarify who you meant by "they", as i said before, i guess i took it a little too personally.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #22
Gilligan

Thumbs down Watch me Start Your Engines and then I get the heck outta there

Political hoopla. Sure Bush likes NASCAR, it is one of the favorite sports in America. But Bush will be here just for the publicity. He'll start the race then head on off to a political function. He won't stay and watch the race.

I wonder how much that vote getting side trip to the race track will cost us taxpayers.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #23
Bubba

Exclamation The "W" plans have changed.

DMJR,

Due to the hurricanes, the President will be in NH one day later (Monday). So he will NOT be at the race Sunday.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #24
robjnh

Default bummer

Heard he was not coming now due to the Hurricane down south
robjnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:20 PM   #25
trfour

Post Politicians do this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan
Political hoopla. Sure Bush likes NASCAR, it is one of the favorite sports in America. But Bush will be here just for the publicity. He'll start the race then head on off to a political function. He won't stay and watch the race.

I wonder how much that vote getting side trip to the race track will cost us taxpayers.
Hi Gilligan,
No matter where our President, today in, "George W. Bush", decides to go, we are all obbligated to pay our taxes...........He is a politician, here in our country. He and his staff decided that the people in the eye of the latest hurricane to strike our country, was a more important issue, than the Nascar race, here in New Hampshire.... Hence, he has bypassed his trip to the race here on Sunday to be with the people in the Southeast.

He will return to NH. on Monday for a political stop in Derry NH., as I understand.

PS. I sense a great Friday night quarterback, in you... What and where would you have Our President,.. go?

Last edited by trfour; 09-17-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:18 AM   #26
SIKSUKR

No the president did not show at the race yesterday.That might explain the pretty bad national anthem acoustics that kept cutting out and the flyover that came over about halfway through the anthem.Something was way out of wack.Other than the pretty strong winds on the rv hill side of the track,it was a great day to watch racing. SS