Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
howitzers

Default Restoring a Gar Wood 28-55 and need your help!

I am restoring a famous old racing boat which raced on Winnipesaukee in the 1930's-40's & 50's. She is a Gar Wood model 28-55 and originally had a Liberty V12 aircraft engine from WWI. Her name was WILD CAT IV and she raced at the Weirs and in Alton Bay, driven by Vinnie Callahan, owner of Channel Marine.

She may have been owned by Stearns Marine in Lakeport, Dexter Sheppard and/or GlenRoy Scott, but she definitely was owned by the Ken Clarke family of Varney Point in the '40's and early '50's when raced. She was then renamed CORSAIR and owned by the Fox family near Ellacoya. Photos of the restoration can be found on my website at newenglandboatandmotor.com.

I am looking for people around the Lake who might have old scrap books or photo albums showing the old races in that time period or knew any of the families mentioned above.

Feel free to contact me at markpmason@gmail.com

Last edited by howitzers; 08-24-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added Photo
howitzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Welcome and good luck...

welcome to the forum and good luck finding the info.
howitzers (08-30-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
NoBozo

Hi Mark. I tried your email link with poor results. "McDude" is the historian on this forum..but may not be familiar with the particulars you are looking for. Welcome aboard.

ID: (Bootlegger model w/rivets and Hisso). NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
howitzers (08-30-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
carguy

Default Fox Family Gar Wood Speedboats

Hi Mark:

When I was a little kid spending the Summers at Lake Shore Park, I remember the Fox Family of Gilford had two different Gar Woods. In the late 1940''s and early 1950's they had a triple cockpit Gar Wood painted black with a Limousine Hard-Top Roof that covered the first two seating sections forward. On occasion that boat would dock at the Big Pier at LSP to discharge and pick up passengers. The boat was was kept in their boathouse across from their home on Scenic Dr. not too Far from where Ellacoya State Beach is located.

Later the family acquired the "Wildcat" a mahogany triple cockpit Gar Wood. I don't know what they did with the all-black Limousine Gar Wood. I believe the "Wildcat" was renamed the "Marilyn". Dottie and Chet Fox owned the boat. I can remember seeing the boat in a state of disrepair when I peeked into their boat house sometime in the early 1960's. The boat was on a lift and appeared to have been vandalized. The rear windshield was broken.

Years late Dottie Fox must have got someone to restore the boat for it was entered in the ACBS Weirs Boat Show in the mid 1990's. I might have some photos of that boat stored away in my photos archive. These photos were taken with a film type non-digital camera. I will have to try and find them.

You gave me a nice ride in the "Will of the Wisp" back in the mid 1990's when I had my Chris-Craft 42' DCFB Cruiser at Fay's Boat Yard.

Jeff Fay knows a lot about Gar Woods on the Lake.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carguy For This Useful Post:
howitzers (08-30-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
carguy

Oh, I just remembered that the "Marilyn" was a different Gar Wood owned by Ray Hawes. But the rest of the story is true to my best recollection.

Here is a photo of my 42' Chris-Craft in the mid-1990's:

sent by Carguy from Norwich, CT
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by howitzers View Post
I am restoring a famous old racing boat which raced on Winnipesaukee in the 1930's-40's & 50's. She is a Gar Wood model 28-55 and originally had a Liberty V12 aircraft engine from WWI. Her name was WILD CAT IV and she raced at the Weirs and in Alton Bay, driven by Vinnie Callahan, owner of Channel Marine.

She may have been owned by Stearns Marine in Lakeport, Dexter Sheppard and/or GlenRoy Scott, but she definitely was owned by the Ken Clarke family of Varney Point in the '40's and early '50's when raced. She was then renamed CORSAIR and owned by the Fox family near Ellacoya. Photos of the restoration can be found on my website at newenglandboatandmotor.com.

I am looking for people around the Lake who might have old scrap books or photo albums showing the old races in that time period or knew any of the families mentioned above.

Feel free to contact me at markpmason@gmail.com

The New Hampshire Boat Museum in Wolfeboro may be able to help you. The theme of the museum this year is "The History of Boat Racing on Winnipesaukee" They have several race boats on display and have many accounts of the different kind of boats and boats races on the lake over the years.
There are many on the staff at the NHBM that have years of experience with woodies like the Hackcraft, Garwood Chris Craft. Many of the staff members restore old woodies. George Johnson of Wolfeboro now deceased was the go to person and historian about these beautiful craft.
Just last week the NHBM had 15 woodies taking people for a ride on the Boat House Tour. It was amazing to see all the woodies Chris Craft, Garwoods, Shepards and Hackercraft cruising the lake all day.
I'm sure they may help you get more information if you were to call the NHBM. Ask for Rick Koriaun. His Step father was George Johnson.

Also may be of interest to you and others, on September 13 and 14 the NHBM has 60 boats coming to Wolfeboro Bay to race for the two days. It is called the Vintage Race Boat Regatta. The races will include Vintage Gold Cup Hydroplanes that will exceed 100MPH. Jersey Skiffs and other classes including Hydroplane outboards. all of which can be seen at the New Hampshire Boat Museum. In fact there is a Hydroplane on display called the "Roman Candle" which will be taken out of the museum and put into the race.

Sorry for getting little off the subject, but the NHBM may help you get the information you are looking for.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-25-2013), howitzers (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
howitzers

Default Thanks!

Thanks all for your kind responses. I am familiar with the NH Antique Boat Museum. Actually I was one of the founders of the Musem many years ago, with Jim Irwin, Vinnie Callahan and many others, living and dead. I collect and restore vintage mahogany raceboats and actually have a small racer on the floor in the Museum this summer, a little Century Cyclone called OH MY IV with an enormous Elto 4-60 on the stern. She is up on the raised stage with a couple other outboard racers. Have a look the next time you are there. As for the WILDCAT IV, I've spoken to Don Minor and Len Gardiner Bill Marriott and Dana Thomas all of whom grew up on, in, around or racing at Alton Bay. Most all of them remember seeing WILDCAT IV race on the Bay, against Nat Goodhue in the WILD DUCK. Bob Valpey of Center Harbor saw 'WILDCAT race at Alton Bay as well as Weirs Beach with Vinnie Callahan at the wheel. But so far, no one knows of any photo albums, scrap books, or newspaper clippings chronicling those races. If anyone knows of the whereabouts of any such material, please give me a call at 603-369-0042 or email me at markpmason@gmail.com P.S. Oh yes, don't miss the Vintage Raceboat Regatta in Wolfeboro, September 13-14th. I will be there with 2 1920's era Gold Cup boats, IMPSHI and CURTISS WILGOLD III
howitzers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howitzers For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (08-30-2013), winnisummergal (09-03-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
SunsetPointWentworth

Is this boat still on the lake?

SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Oh boy. I see that boat has NY on its side. No 150 ft rule there.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Oh boy. I see that boat has NY on its side. No 150 ft rule there.
So?

Why do people get so obsessed about this 150' rule? It's such a pain in the ass to worry about 150' infractions in busy areas. It seems like the majority of people don't know it, or don't care to bother, so you can never really be sure about anyone's intentions. Personally, I don't get concerned if a person passes closer than 150' to me, I only get irritated if they are operating in an idiotic manner.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

I could care less in this video. My point was the 150 ft rule posts will be forthcoming.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I could care less in this video. My point was the 150 ft rule posts will be forthcoming.
Like moths attracted to a streetlight.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

howitzers:
here's a thread about power boat racing on the lake
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...at+races+alton
I haven't had time to read through it again but it may have some info that you'd be interested in.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote