Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
plasticguy

Default Awesome Rope Swing on Timber Island

I wanted to share to all about a rope swing on Timber Island. It's located inside the cove parallel to the witches...on your map it looks like a "w". Hope to see you there!!!!!
plasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Was there a decade ago.

Someone cut it down! I use to walk the boat into the left cove and anchor in there. Nobody would bother me.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Rope Swing on Timber

Wouldn't that be private property?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Pontoon Goon

Default Yes it is.

It is private property and very well marked so. I wonder why someone would post the exact location of a spot that is clearly marked ? Cannot read, have no respect, or have an agenda. Which is it ?
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Maybe it was the owner of the property.....Wear a disguise if you go...
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation I Sincerely Hope That plasticguy isn't a

out to start mayhem with this thread.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
jrc

Just in case he is not a troll.

Search for LRCT(Lakes Region Conservation Trust) and Timber on this site. It been discussed many times.

The island is private property, it's clearly posted, you would be criminally tresspassing if you go on the island.

The LRTC agreement prevents public use of the property, so the island owners cannot let the public use the island.

Unless you are an owner, their guest, or work for the LRCT you can't go there.

Now if you are an owner, and you are inviting all of us as your guests (not the public, just us), then let's have a party!
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
angela4design

So who's going to hang up a PUBLIC swing for us?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
So who's going to hang up a PUBLIC swing for us?
Definitely not any insurance company
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
out to start mayhem with this thread.
I wondered the same thing about the guy who told a poster to take his 16-year-old daughter and her friend to Braun Bay.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
I wondered the same thing about the guy who told a poster to take his 16-year-old daughter and her friend to Braun Bay.
That was me. Do you honestly think they wouldn't have a good time there? It's not like Braun Bay requires a valid ID or has topless dancing or something.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
jkjoshuatree

Unhappy I Don't Get It???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
That was me. Do you honestly think they wouldn't have a good time there? It's not like Braun Bay requires a valid ID or has topless dancing or something.

I've been going to Braun Bay since I was 13 and I always have a good time there.

Why wouldn't a sixteen year old have fun? What am I missing?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #13
ApS

Talking High-Water Mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
"...The island is private property, it's clearly posted, you would be criminally tresspassing if you go on the island..."
If it's over the lake, just climb the rope, then start swinging.

(As long as you have "wet feet"—somebody said).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
I've been going to Braun Bay since I was 13 and I always have a good time there.

Why wouldn't a sixteen year old have fun? What am I missing?
Braun Bay is of course fun.... Appropriateness for a given age is however a personal decision. I have always seen many families there and as long as you don't get in the heart of the cluster there are not problems with it being a family spot. But once again that is a personal decision.

Some people can and will see it different and may not feel it is an appropriate family spot. It is about personal comfort level, and decision.

In short what your missing is that every parent is different, and it is their personal choice and decision on what is and isn't appropriate at a given age for their child. Whether as outsiders looking in we agree or not, the parenting figure is the deciding factor on what a child is exposed to... At 16 the teenager is still a child and to some parents may not be ready to experience something like Braun Bay on a weekend, while to others wouldn't even give it a second thought.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but if I brought my 16 niece to Braun Bay on a weekend my sister would have my head... I don't agree with it, she would be with me... but my sister doesn't think her daughter is ready for that environment, and she is the parent, and I do have to respect that...

My Wife's boys on the other hand neither of which have hit the age of 10 have already been over there on the weekends..... She has no problem with it as they are with us, and she know we can leave if it gets to be to much...

To different mothers to different beliefs.....Doesn't mean one is better or one is right they are just different
AC2717 (07-30-2010), VitaBene (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
jkjoshuatree

Default LIforrelaxin...

...I promise I'm not a stupid person but I'm just not getting it.

By "appropriateness for any given age", do you mean all the people drinking and partying? If so, I completely understand not wanting your child exposed to that.

But that being said, I've been there hundreds of times and have never seen anyone act rudely or offensively.

Granted, there have been times when a few people have had a little too much to drink (and if I was with my buddies when I was younger I'd just stay away from them-if I was with younger kids as an adult I'd also stay away from them).

But everyone in my personal experience is just there to enjoy the water, the sun, and the fact that there's such a cool place to hang out at on the lake.

Like you said, each parent is different and to each his own. Live and let live.

I only ask because I didn't know if other people have been there and had bad/ugly/uncomfortable situations arise.

I know I never have but maybe I will think twice about bringing my kids there again if something has happened recently. We've been there several times since they were 8, 10, and 12 and it's always been fine.

Thank you!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
...I promise I'm not a stupid person but I'm just not getting it.

By "appropriateness for any given age", do you mean all the people drinking and partying? If so, I completely understand not wanting your child exposed to that.

Thank you!
JK, not to worry man it isn't always an easy thing to see, as I say myself I have no problem bring kids to Braun Bay, I just stay off to the side and all is fine, and if it get to be what I say is too "crazy" I leave...

But yes I think what jades most people in their thoughts of appropriateness is the party and drinking atmosphere. And if your down in the bay you are around it. My sister for instance just doesn't want her daughter around that type of environment.... My Wife and I on the other hand don't see an issue with it...Eventually kids are going to see and be around people in a drinking and partying environment... I personally think it is better that my wife's boys are getting introduced to it with us around... And quite honestly I don't feel like they are in it, if we are off to the side... And in my opinion what make braun bay any different the a big family get together or a wedding.... but not everyone sees it that way.

As you say most often there aren't any problems, I have found the the real partiers tend to stay local to one area of the bay, and have also found them very respectful... I had my wife's boys their last summer and where swimming around by a group of 20 somethings that where all enjoying a nice summer day at the lake...and while they where having a great time and listening to music that wasn't appropriate for young ears... one of the guys jumped into his boat and skipped over the song... I said thanks, he said sorry... later on a group of that crowd that needed a break floated out off over towards our boat on their floats...

In short I think it is a good place and still a safe place for families and party people a like... But families have to be comfortable having there children around the total overall environment.... My sister, when my niece was really young would also leave large gathers like weddings if there got to be to much drinking... she just doesn't feel that it is something she should expose her daughter too...
jkjoshuatree (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
jkjoshuatree

Default LIforrelaxin...

...where we separated at birth.

I feel exactly the same way as you. Everyone (no matter what the age) at Braun Bay has always been very respectful to me (and to everyone else around them for that matter).

I just thought it had turned into an ugly mess of drunken fools over the past year or two. I went last year but it started raining as soon as we got there so we had to leave.

But I agree...I wouldn't bring my kids to a frat party (not that I frequent frat parties) but people are going to drink in a lot of social circumstances and I also think it's better to expose them to it. I don't want them to be "shocked" the first time they see ugly/bad behavior. If I'm there when someone has a little too much to drink I can talk to my kids about it.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me. If I see my twin walking around the Lakes Region, I'll know it's you.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
murph

Great now even more people know about it. Counting down the days til the guy cuts the tree down. terrific idea
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
aopel

Default Learn About Timber Island

Before you set foot on Timber, take a moment to educate yourself about this special place. On a lake that is increasingly surrounded by McMansions with fewer and fewer public access areas, Timber is an unparalleled refuge.

Treat Timber Island with respect.

www.timberisland.org
aopel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aopel For This Useful Post:
Long Pine (08-03-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Bear Islander

Default One Important thing to learn about Timbrer Isl

If you follow the link supplied by aopel you will find that "setting foot" on Timber Island makes you guilty of "Criminal Trespass".
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
codeman671

Default Copied from the link

Question: Is there public access to Timber Island?

Answer: No. Access to Timber Island is limited to island property owners and Lakes Region Conservation Trust (LRCT) representatives. Created in 1991, the Timber Island Conservation Easement was set up to protect and conserve the natural resources of the island. The island's undeveloped shoreline supports wildlife habitat that is quickly diminishing in other parts of the region. Please help us maintain the undisturbed habitat and ecosystem by enjoying the scenic value of the island from the water.

No trespassing signs are posted prominently on the island. Any person who is found removing, defacing or destroying any sign, poster or property of another shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor. Any person accessing the island without property owner permission will be in violation of the State of New Hampshire Criminal Code Section 635:2.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
welch100

Default Timber Island property for sale

Gilford NH - MLS No. 2796028
Offered At: $695,000
3 Timber Island, Gilford NH (GOOGLE MAP)
Listed by: John Goodhue/Roche Realty Group

Be one of only 3 owners of 135 acre Timber Island. 3. 79 acres with 1, 200 +/- of waterfront is exclusively yours, along with a 1/3 undivided interest in the 124 acre conservation parcel. Experience both sunrise and sunsets. Swim off your sugar sand beach. Two large dock systems in place. Experience life on the lake as it once was.

Interior Property Details
Easement: Y
Lot Description: 64
Lot Size (Acreage): 3.79 Acres
Lot Size: 165092
Subdivision: Timber Is
Deed Type: Warranty
AMENITIES: Docks, Wooded Lot
TOPOGRAPHY: Abuts Conservation, Level, View, Wooded
DOCS AVAILABLE: Aerials, Deed, Plot Plan, Property Disclosure, Survey, Other
ELECTRIC: None
EXPOSURE: East, North, South, West
GAS: None
LOCATION: Deep Water Access, Island, Near Golf, Near Skiing, Rural
ROADS: None
SEWER: On Site Septic Exists
SHOWING INSTRUCTIONS: Call List Broker, Flagged, Pins, Sign on Prop
TYPE: Recreational, Residential
Exterior Property Details
Flood Zone: N
Public Records: 2021
Body Of Water: Winnipesaukee
Water Frontage: 1200
Water Access Type: Owned
Water Body Type: Lake
Taxes: $8,315 for 2009
Tax Reduction: N
Tax Rate: 16.89
Property Status: Active
Surveyed By: Y
Power Company: None
School District: Gilford
School Information for Gilford NH
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #23
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Braun Bay is of course fun.... Appropriateness for a given age is however a personal decision. I have always seen many families there and as long as you don't get in the heart of the cluster there are not problems with it being a family spot. But once again that is a personal decision.

To different mothers to different beliefs.....Doesn't mean one is better or one is right they are just different
LOL...thank you. Great post. I'm not alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBay View Post
Local mom with three teens - 15, 17, 18 -

I'd stay away from Braun Bay - a bit too much of a party some times;
The West Alton Sand Bar is more family-friendly

Have a great visit!
I honestly thought the guy was kidding when he suggested bringing 16-year-old girls to Braun Bay. My boys did bring their sister when she was 17 or 18. It wasn't something with which I completely agreed.

If you could've been there over the weekend of the 4th... ; - ) Even the "kids" (ages 24 - 29) thought it was outta control. Thus my surprise that one would suggest it to a "newbie."

Also apologies for the bit of a highjack.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #24
jrc

Don't forget Braun bay is a big place. I've had several nice family visits while anchored in 15' of water away from the sandy area. Every once in a while you can hear hootin and hollerin from the dense crowd, look over and see commotion. But otherwise no different than any other anchorage.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #25
pwdcrownies

Just don't drink the water.
pwdcrownies is offline   Reply With Quote