Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
anticd70

Default New Boater

All:

I will be renting a small 20' 25 hp pontoon this summer for a week with my family. I completed the boating course and feel confident but would like to know if you all could provide any advice on boating on the lake.

We would like to check out the Braun Bay sand bar and the town docks between Moultonborough and Wolfeboro. Any advice on how to approach and drop anchor near the sandbar or sailing in/out of the town docks?

Thanks
Len
anticd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Phantom

There are many discussions on this type of topic ... I would take the time to drill through prior posts.

Biggest thing at ANY sandbar is to be equipped with (2) Two anchors Fore & Aft .... be sure to request a spare when renting as I suspect Highly you will only get one!

gianttowingllc (07-19-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

As a fairly new boater myself (got a pontoon mid-August last year), I'll give you some advice I've found handy:

1. Get a Bizer map or GPS app.

1a. Go slow when you're not familiar with the area/route.

2. Have a lookout/helper when traveling hazard areas/docking.

3. Know your route before and as you go.

4. Slow down to an almost stop before docking to figure out currents/wind.

5. Know where everything is on the boat.

6. Canopies act like kites when docking, so plan appropriately.

Notice most of these are about docking? That's because regular boating is easy--take it slow around others and avoid dangerous places/situations and you're good.

Godspeed!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
anticd70

Thanks for the info. I have a bizer hardcopy map and the iphone app.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Dave R

A random tip: If you are approaching markers at a choke point, know your route before you get to them, even if that means stopping 1/4 mile away to consult your chart. Don't be the guy that gets to a choke point then slows down to a crawl to check the chart.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (07-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
noreast

Just know with a 20' boat you should prepare to get wet on busy days. I have a small tri-toon and have to turn around under certain conditions. also 2nd on the chart.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
campdavid

As an experienced boater, but new to the lake, I agree with all said and I would also add a set of binoculars. Depending on where the sun is located, it can be difficult to judge if the markers are Red or Black. Good luck and enjoy Braun Bay.
campdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

One more thing about Braun Bay and swimming areas in general: don't be afraid to jump off and walk the boat to where you want to be and set anchor that way--learned that was the easiest and safest way on the east side of Ragged Island.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
One more thing about Braun Bay and swimming areas in general: don't be afraid to jump off and walk the boat to where you want to be and set anchor that way--learned that was the easiest and safest way on the east side of Ragged Island.

East side of Ragged Island has a lot of large rocks. Walking it in is certainly a good idea. Later in the year when the water level is lower you may not be able to make it all the way in.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
DBreskin

Never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it.
Don't be afraid to ask other boaters for help. Most are willing and friendly.
Be sure the engine is OFF before anyone gets in the water.

When pulling in to the town docks, have a hand on either side of the boat to fend off other boats that are already docked. Keep track of your place in line while waiting for dock space.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it.
Don't be afraid to ask other boaters for help. Most are willing and friendly.
Be sure the engine is OFF before anyone gets in the water.

When pulling in to the town docks, have a hand on either side of the boat to fend off other boats that are already docked. Keep track of your place in line while waiting for dock space.
On my boat, I amend "Be sure the engine is OFF before anyone gets in the water" by adding "and the key is out of the ignition."

For me, that means I have to have two distinct actions to start the boat: Put the key in, and then start the engine. Just my thing, as taught by my dad.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Phantom

It also protects against a mutiny ..... when they all try to leave you at the sandbar !

Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
Pricestavern

Default Approaching/Exiting Wolfeboro

Wolfeboro can get pretty busy. Just getting into and out of the harbor can be tricky. I find that when entering and exiting the harbor, staying far to the side, over near Little Barndoor Island is the safest, smoothest path. People tend to turn the corner close to Sewalls Point and things can get pretty hairy sometimes with everyone in close proximity coming, going, and passing each other.

Similarly, when approaching the Wolfeboro town docks, come at them from the side rather than running straight towards them. This way you're out of the way of the boats heading back out to the lake.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
znh

Lots of good advice so far.

Definitely know where you are going ahead of time and plan the route accordingly so you know what to look for before you get to it.

When coming to the choke points, as already said, stop way before it if you want to double check your position, stopping in the middle of it because you 'freak out' and want to know where you are will cause an issue to other boaters.

Go slow. Like really, really slow when docking. Your momentum will carry you to the dock further then you think. I tend to put it in neutral 20 feet from the dock and glide in when on the right course. This is a bit different if there is a lot of wind or current. But if there is a lot of wind or current be conscious of it and use it to your advantage.

As for the sandbar. I would try to practice at one before it gets crazy. Earlier in the day during the middle of the week would be a great time as there should be plenty of spots to easily pull in and get used to it. Don't drop the front anchor too early, your front line will end up sticking out too far and can get in other boats way.

Definitely use the app and map in conjunction with each other. I find the physical map is a bit small and you end up beyond where you think you are pretty easily.

For the POWER OFF before people get in the water. We have a lot of kids on our boat all the time. For us it is, power off, key out and and audible announcement of 'BOATS OFF' before anyone is allowed in the water. The kids know this is one rule they absolutely have to follow

One other bit of advice is go out earlier in the day or later in the day. The wind tends to die down, the boat traffic is much less and both of these would make it a bit more enjoyable on a 20' boat.

Most important rule is relax and have fun. There are fewer places I've been more beautiful and serene then Winnipesaukee...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
anticd70

Thanks again for the advice eveyone