Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
SIKSUKR

Default Sawyers

This may have been asked before but does anyone know if Sawyers is reopening this season?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Pepper

The banner out front indicates they're opening this Saturday, May 9th! They've been working LONG hours readying the place, and I'll bet it looks great inside. They've also done some work outside, but it doesn't look like they're finished yet. Been a really busy place the past two weeks!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Island Life

Sawyers was purchased by new owners last year; they ran it all last season - made a few nice changes - and I'd have to assume they plan to do the same for the forseeable future.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Overlake97

Default Sawyers opening slightly delayed

The banner out front now says they're opening on May 16th, one week later than originally planned. As noted above, the new owners did make some nice changes last year, but everything else (i.e., food, ice cream - ) remained the same.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This may have been asked before but does anyone know if Sawyers is reopening this season?
Visited the first weekend of June to purchase some frozen pudd'n ice cream to take home.

Good, as usual...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
pats fan

I will second that on the ice cream! Great ice cream but I would pass on their fried food. Not that it is not good, but too expensive. I realize seafood is pricey but I have not been impressed for a number of years now. I will continue to go for ice cream. Anyone try Lillilukiannis (spelling??) I have not stopped there yet due to Sawyers but would love a new place to try.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
Bigstan

I too agree the ice cream is great - I started stocking it by the quart to avoid running over there at 8:45 at night when everyone decides they want ice cream. Flavor selection was spotty last time I went (but of course it was the 4th, so I'm measuring on what must be their busiest weekend of the year).
I ended up buying an alternative when they were out of cookie dough, then picking up a quart cookie dough at Beans & Greens a few minutes later (they sell quarts of Sawyers ice cream at the same cost Sawyers does)

I've avoided their fried food - for no reason other than they are an ice cream place to me, not a restaurant. However, on the weekend of the 4th I saw someone having a lobster roll and decided to try one. It was great, though maybe a bit too chilled. I would certainly go back for another. I think it was $13.50, not sure if that qualifies as expensive or not compared to others?
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
kaj

Default Lillilukiannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats fan View Post
Anyone try Lillilukiannis (spelling??) .
Lillielukiannis has good ice cream an friendly service but a bit pricey. Sawyers still my favorite ice cream in the area.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
mets3007

Lilikulani's is a nice place but, small inside with 2 tables, but the view of the lake is awesome as you can sit on benches right near the water. Sawyers has been a place we go to when we go to the Lakes Region and we will be there when we go August 9th for our 1st lunch of the 2008 NH vacation.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
JPC

Default Lillielukiannis??

I know where Sawyer's is located but where is Lillielukiannis?
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
sa meredith

Default Paugus Bay

It's in Paugus Bay, just as you head into the entrance to the channel, slightly before the no wake marker, to the right. Small dock. Docking for a boat or 3.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
hockeypuck

By car it is located on Weirs Blvd. Paugus near the information booth.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
Island Life

Sawyer's used to be our favorite place to eat in the area. My kids begged to go there every time we were on shore - and we ended up there a lot. We liked most of the changes that the new owners made last year but maybe they switched vendors over the winter because my kids really didn't like the food this year (and they ordered the same thing as always - hot dog and cheeseburger). So, any other year we would have been there 10 or 15 times already but this year we've been once. They don't want to go back. We'll give it another try sometime before the end of the summer; I hope I just hit it on a bad day. It makes me a little sad to drive by without ever stopping; I grew up going to Sawyer's and love that it hasn't changed much in 40 years.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
BeaverIslandGuy

Talking Give it another try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
We'll give it another try sometime before the end of the summer; I hope I just hit it on a bad day. It makes me a little sad to drive by without ever stopping; I grew up going to Sawyer's and love that it hasn't changed much in 40 years.
Either you hit it on a bad day, or I hit it on a very good day

I took family there for the first time. Kids had grilled cheese and cheeseburger, both of which were hot and good. I had the fried clam dinner and better half had fried shrimp. Portions were so big neither of us could finish the fish, and the shrimp had been butterflyed (which cooks faster and lighter). I added onion rings, which were light and flakey and wonderful. All had frappes, which were the best we have had - anywhere, anytime, period.

Was pricey, but portions and sides were huge. In general, fish is up this summer so I don't know if this is out of line. I noted the clam strips were about half of the clam dinner. This might have been about the right amount of food. I don't know what the family sold the business for, but I would guess they have a nice mortgage we all need to help pay off

I grew up in in this area and would eat at sawyers every weekend from when they opened until late-May launch prepping my boat at Fays to go back in the water. What I remember was not nearly as good, and went downhill as summer wore on (we used to kid that they started with fresh oil in the fryers as they opened in May but would not change it all summer).

My wife is aleady asking to go back for rings and frappes. Hope it is again this good.
BeaverIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Orion

Default I agree...try it again

I had similar experience as Beaver Is Guy. Six adults, all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Big portions, nicely done. Try the fried onion hearts!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
Waterbaby

Default Just a Question, about the Clam Dinner......

[QUOTE=BeaverIslandGuy;78244]

Was pricey, but portions and sides were huge. In general, fish is up this summer so I don't know if this is out of line. I noted the clam strips were about half of the clam dinner. This might have been about the right amount of food. I don't know what the family sold the business for, but I would guess they have a nice mortgage we all need to help pay off [QUOTE]

Fried clams are one of my favorites, in fact I've been craving them for about two weeks now. When you ordered the clam dinner, was it supposed to be belly clams or was it supposed to be a mix, or did that question even come up? Just asking, because when I order fried clams I always ask -- I prefer the belly clams, and if about half of the dinner were strips I wouldn't be happy. The rings sound fabulous from your description -- I love the "flaky" batter, and isn't that the way they are supposed to be? None of the breaded type batter on onion rings for me, if I've eaten rings I want to wear the evidence, gosh darn it!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
tricia1218

Sawyers is a fav of me and my husband we will split a clam/scallop plate and there is more than enough for the both of us!
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
BeaverIslandGuy

Quote:
Fried clams are one of my favorites, in fact I've been craving them for about two weeks now. When you ordered the clam dinner, was it supposed to be belly clams or was it supposed to be a mix, or did that question even come up? Just asking, because when I order fried clams I always ask -- I prefer the belly clams, and if about half of the dinner were strips I wouldn't be happy.
I would say that you will love the onion rings. On my clams, all were belly clams (coincidence or not, I don't know). This may be the difference between the clam dinner and the clam strip plate.

Good luck
Old 08-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Unhappy Through the years

Sawyers have always been a favorite with the family. My Dad was a good friend of the original owner. I think his name was George. Food was superb and the helping were humongous during the 50's thru 70's.
When George retired and the boys took over, it seems the portions and the quality was up and down every year. The last few years it was par. The new owners were no better. I think the fries are a bit greasy.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
WinnDixie

Default Ummmm! Sawyer's

Oh the pain of reading this thread, and not coming to NH this year. We did Sawyer's in overdrive when we lived there; and , when returning for a visit, it is "Go to Sawyer's, Go directly to Sawyer's. Do not pass go...Do not...(well, $200 would be OK!)." SO glad people bought it and are continuing to run it, and it is NOT a gas station! Lobster rolls, coffee frappes, frozen pudding ice cream, peppermint stick ice cream, with chocolate jimmies ,those heavenly onion rings...nothing like them down here...and, here's one that may surprise some of you: a hot dog in one of those top-split rolls that can be grilled on each side. Can't find Schonland's hot dogs and never, anywhere, those top-split rolls down here. Sorry, it isn't a hot dog unless it is in one of those...the roll nicely grilled...just a little mustard and relish. Well, now I'm starving, and hankering for all that wonderful New England food! Go in and eat something wonderful for me...and, I'll bet the clock is ticking. They close Labor Day now, don't they?
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
katiesmom

Sawyers is always our first stop every year. This years trek was a little more difficult as my mother has cancer and has not been eating well because of chemo. But tradition being what it is we dragged her up to the lake and of course Sawyers was our first stop. She ate an entire pint of clams by herself! My husband and I only split one!! Needless to say we went back many times during our 2 weeks and we love the place. On a side note anybody else remember when they used to be a ski shop in winter? Thats going back a ways.
katiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesmom View Post
Sawyers is always our first stop every year. This years trek was a little more difficult as my mother has cancer and has not been eating well because of chemo. But tradition being what it is we dragged her up to the lake and of course Sawyers was our first stop. She ate an entire pint of clams by herself! My husband and I only split one!! Needless to say we went back many times during our 2 weeks and we love the place. On a side note anybody else remember when they used to be a ski shop in winter? Thats going back a ways.
Sorry to hear about your mom. I'm thankful Sawyers is still there instead of a gas station, and as a matter of fact I'm thankful Gilford did not build their new HS on that spot like they planned, and take out the Greens & Beans farm. That's a beautiful, rural entrance to that town....all that building would have changed that location forever.
________
Honda gb500 specifications

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #23
katiesmom

Thanks Irish Mist. I never heard about them taking out Beans and greens. Oh my 6 year old would have a cow. We must go there at least once a day and when we come home all she talks about is the baby chicks. LOVE that place!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #24
Irish mist

Quote:
Thanks Irish Mist. I never heard about them taking out Beans and greens. Oh my 6 year old would have a cow. We must go there at least once a day and when we come home all she talks about is the baby chicks. LOVE that place!
Yup.....Giford almost built their high school there several years ago. That turn as you go to the farm with the mountains in the distance is just one of the most neat views in the Lakes Region
________
Lincoln Continental Specifications

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
We've had a lot of rainy days & sometimes you need to get out of the house. Beans and Greens is a good field trip for the whole family.....from grandma down to the kiddos....there's a bakery, lots of fresh produce, annuals/perrenials galore, a little zoo with goats and chickens and stuff, a waterfall and koi pond

check it out

BEANS & GREENS

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #26
Waterbaby

Talking Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandGuy View Post
I would say that you will love the onion rings. On my clams, all were belly clams (coincidence or not, I don't know). This may be the difference between the clam dinner and the clam strip plate.

Good luck

Can't wait to go now! (next week we're on vaca......... )
Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #27
Waterbaby

Default Love those scrunchy faces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
We've had a lot of rainy days & sometimes you need to get out of the house. Beans and Greens is a good field trip for the whole family.....from grandma down to the kiddos....there's a bakery, lots of fresh produce, annuals/perrenials galore, a little zoo with goats and chickens and stuff, a waterfall and koi pond

check it out

BEANS & GREENS

Thanks, McDude -- I work at a place similar to there which I love. I must say the best thing about your post was the pic with all the kiddos and Grandma, all with the adorable scrunched up faces!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #28
kjbathe

Smile Ski Shop?

Quote:
On a side note anybody else remember when they used to be a ski shop in winter? Thats going back a ways.
I still have the skiis. Orange striped Tiger Volkls sold by "Bear" Sawyer himself. Good people.

We also visited this summer and the family had a good meal. In fact we went back two days in a row. It's also a regular stop now for ice cream. It's nice to be able to get an appropriately-sized "kiddie" cone with a price to match.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #29
chipj29

Default Sawyers

I hope I made some correct assumptions here...
I was in Gilford on Sunday for a youth football scrimmage jamboree. It was held in the field behind Sawyers. I believe that field used to be the cow pasture and Sawyers farm? I also heard that the land was donated for Gilford Youth Football to use. If that is indeed true, what a wonderful donation that was. The field was in great shape, and it was a beautiful day. Thank you to the Sawyer family for donating that land.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #30
fatnoah

Quote:
This years trek was a little more difficult as my mother has cancer and has not been eating well because of chemo.
This quote really got me. My parents and I have been long time Sawyer's fans. I don't remember many summer weekends where we didn't eat there or get take out at least once. My father passed away from cancer at age 46 in 2001 and the last place we all dined together was Sawyer's.
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #31
katiesmom

Fatnoah, my sympathies to you on your Dad 46 is way too young. I think alot of people have good memories of Sawyers I know we have always loved the place and will continue to do so hopefully for many years. You know it just occured to me that my mother has not been out to a restaurant down here (Florida) the entire time she has been sick, but up there she went to Sandy Point, Sawyers ,Town Docks and the little breakfast place in Laconia by the Margate (forgot the name sorry). Maybe I'd better bring her back up HAHA
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #32
ironhorsetim

Quote:
little breakfast place in Laconia by the Margate (forgot the name sorry). Maybe I'd better bring her back up HAHA
I think you might be talking about Lakeside Diner underneath the condo's just past Shaw's.....good breakfast we'll save you a seat

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote