Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
LadyJane

Default Anticipation

Is there anything that compares to the anticipation of coming up to the lake? the planning, packing, hoping that the weather will be okay, etc. We're coming up Saturday for a week. Those like me who aren't lucky enough to live here...have you had your week? how was it? still looking forward to it? How often do you come up?
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
AC2717

No way, it never gets old
I have not been back to the cottage since July 4th weekend, and we are going back up first thing this Saturday for a week and a half, and I have totally checked out mentally of work I think last Thursday, and this week has just been grueling. I cannot wait, I said to my wife and daughter we are leaving at 7am, if it were up to me I would leave on friday as soon as I can, but things are preventing me
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
jkjoshuatree

Wink I Know What You Mean!!

I booked the cabin I'm in now for a month back in February and I started making lists immediately (what I needed, what places to goto, what restaurants to try, where the laundromat, library, etc, are).

And I was packed by April 1 (no lie!).

I live for this place!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
ChasesIslandOkie

Coming in from Oklahoma City on Sunday...can't wait for that first swim. I have only missed one summer in the last 20 years I think. That was the worst summer in the last 20 years!
ChasesIslandOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Flylady

Default Never gets old

It is comforting to know that the "anticipation" is not a unique experience. I am fling out of L.A. on the red-eye Friday....so I don't lose a day in travel. Every time I turn onto 109 we always cheer "welcome home"! Bags have been packed for a week! I usually get to fly in 3-4 times a year and as some as the plane departs Manchester I begin day dreaming about my return visit.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
AC2717

CAn't wait
even with owning a place up there, it never, never gets old
and now with my 4 year old daughter, we have to talk her out of depression everytime we leave and then also over the winter months
Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Smile It's New Every Time

Although we come up quit often all year round (once a month if not twice and more in the summer) by Wednesday I can hardly wait for friday and on monday and tuesday or the weeks in between all we talk about in what we are going to do the next time we are up there.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Even living here, it is special. Having the mountains and lakes as the backdrop of life is fantastic.

Great thread LJ
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Anticipation

Even with owning a place and spending so much time at the lake, the anticipation does not ebb for me at all. Just ask Rattlesnake Guy! I even get a bit panicky when I'm away for too long at this time of year. By the time Spring rolls around, I'm beside myself with excitement for the first trip to the island.

I believe that found a piece of myself at Lake Winnipesaukee that I didn't know I was missing. This beautiful water in a high place has truly touched my soul.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 07-29-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
gtxrider

Default Next week

Yup, planning the second trip up this year... Making a list and checking it twice (as a kid the were two night it was hard to fall asleep, Chritmas Eve and the night before vacation)...Lets see, ski, jetski, fishing, boating ride.....oh yah lobster..
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
john60ri

Default Anticipation

Great post! Fourteen years in a row, coming up August 14-21. The anticipation is always fun. Stopping at the State Liquor Store in Hooksett for some maps, brochures and some vino for my wife. Getting off at Exit 24 in Ashland. Stopping at Bob's Shur-Fine Market in Ashland for some provisions. Then heading down Route 3 towards the cabin in Holderness. This year I've got a list of different things to do, restaurants to visit etc, -- all suggestions from this website. Cheers!
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Mooseyme

Default in a song

Jimmy Buffett sings"I know I don't get there often enough, but Lord knows I surely try. It's a magic kind of medicine that no doctor could prescribe" As I turn onto 109, it's playing loud! I agree with Rattlesnake Gal, I get panicky being away so long. Along with grumpy and cranky, but as soon as I glimpse the lake in Meredith, a smile starts to form. It lasts until I pull out of the driveway, with tears in my eyes. My kids always make fun of my sappiness!
Sighhhhh.......
Mooseyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
LadyJane

Good to know Vita that it never gets old, even when you live here. I remember coming out of EM Heath one brilliant summer day, looking out at the harbor, feeling blown away by the phenomal beauty and wondering if the other folks making their way across the parking lot to their cars ever got tired of the view or didn't notice it. Love your comment Rattlesnake Gal that you've found a piece of you here that you didn't know was missing. Yup.......arrival is a kind of a "high" and departure has a sadness to it. Being away for more than a few months makes me itchy inside and I need to start making my list of what to bring and what to do for my next trip up. I am packed and ready to go !!!
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
GFP

Do you people know how refreshing it is to read so much enthusiasm about life? It is a pleasure just to read your entries, and I hope you have the best vacations, ever.
Come to think of it, I can tell that you are the kind of people who will have fun even if it rains.
GFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #15
GnTonLI

Default anticipation...and how

Just returned Sunday from our annual 10 days on the Lake and the anticipation is already in place for next year...the moment we left. I can't wait til we come back. I want to get my airline tickets set up today so that I KNOW I'll be there.

My 10 year old son feels the same. Had to pry him, crying his eyes out, from the dock this year as we left. Never had to do that before--the Lake is now in him, too. He's already anticipating next year. We'll be talking about our 2011 trip for months...what will we do that we didn't do this year? What new restaurant do we want to re-visit? Can't wait. Is it July 2011 already?
GnTonLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFP View Post
Do you people know how refreshing it is to read so much enthusiasm about life? It is a pleasure just to read your entries, and I hope you have the best vacations, ever.
Come to think of it, I can tell that you are the kind of people who will have fun even if it rains.
I am getting ready for company thus I couldn't go to to our lake house today. It's the first day that I haven't been there in 2 months. I felt like I was missing something all day. I sure love the lake! I never get tired of its' serenity and beauty. I will miss it again tomorrow as I have to cook all day. Please give the lake a hug for me tomorrow and enjoy the day!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #17
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Coming up this week. The weather is supposed to be spectacular.....Low humidity and plenty of sunshine. Someone must have known you were coming up.

Ummm...Could you let me know when you plan to come up next year so I can plan my vacation at the same time......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
Peter

Default Never gets old!

I have been lucky enough to come to the lake since I was born in 1967. As soon as we turn onto the dirt road into our cottage, I roll down the window to smell the fresh pine.

The lake refreshes me. I get to see old friends and family. We are lucky enought to have aunts, uncles and cousins living on either side of us. Nothing will ever replace the opportunity to spend long summers hanging out on the lake with family and friends. No TV allowed, just lots of fresh air and fun!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Coming to the lake doesn't get old, if it is in your blood. Just ask my wife... She will tell you I am different Man come Friday Morning... Or ask the people in Work, they will tell you that once I decide to leave Friday afternoon, all the see is a streak.... I don't calm down until I walk on the dock Friday night....

However It took my a long time to find a Woman that understood that the lake was in my blood, and allowed it into hers... She probably doesn't get nearly excited as I do, but she does get enough so that she makes the trek every week with me.

I took me a long time to find this women, most thought I was joking, until summer came and I dragged them to the lake every weekend... some lasted a summer, some a week.... My Wife is in her 2nd full season, and her 3rd year of visiting the lake... She sees what it does to me, and enjoys watching the happiness it brings me...

So to simply put it.... Nope it doesn't get old, and you have to find a spouse that understands that....