Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
inquiring one

Default Time Warner :(

Has anyone else had trouble viewing the HD channels on Time warner the past day or so?
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
sluggo

The HD channels and the service all togeather just plain sucks !!!! They have been to my house five times since this summer. They just replaced all the boxes and replaced all the cable and it still isnt right. So all i can say is good luck.........
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
The HD channels and the service all togeather just plain sucks !!!! They have been to my house five times since this summer. They just replaced all the boxes and replaced all the cable and it still isnt right. So all i can say is good luck.........
Yep same here! And if this is Turbo internet speed then I guess I've been misunderstanding what turbo really means!

LG
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiring one View Post
Has anyone else had trouble viewing the HD channels on Time warner the past day or so?
yes i have here in Moultonboro they suggested we change the cable box did that worked for a few hours and again no HD TV wtf???????
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
Yep same here! And if this is Turbo internet speed then I guess I've been misunderstanding what turbo really means!

LG
What is your internet speed?

I did an internet speed test and this is the results (they went to Springfield VT):

Download speed...........12.62 Mbps
Upload speed...............1.46 Mbps
Ping............................15 ms

This is the site that I did it on: http://www.speedtest.net/
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
What is your internet speed?

I did an internet speed test and this is the results (they went to Springfield VT):

Download speed...........12.62 Mbps
Upload speed...............1.46 Mbps
Ping............................15 ms

This is the site that I did it on: http://www.speedtest.net/
i called TW again try rebooting system still no positive results they are sending a tech out Monday i told them good thing Patriots are on Monday Night Football better get it fix before then!!!!!!!!!
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Metrocast

Metrocast is no better. Welcome to the club.

many calls to metrocast and they tell me to call the box manufacturer, the box manufacturer tell me to call Metrocast. Round and around I go............
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
inquiring one

Sky's .... they told me they haven't had any calls from the area. Guess its a real small area... hope you're AM... i wont have to be here for PM

Yes They are terrible

download :20.78
upload : .99
ping : 15 ms

What's the diff ?

Last edited by inquiring one; 12-08-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Did the test
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Metrocast is no better. Welcome to the club.

many calls to metrocast and they tell me to call the box manufacturer, the box manufacturer tell me to call Metrocast. Round and around I go............
I honestly do not understand how anyone would stay with cable for TV.
We have Metrocast for internet, and Direct for TV and we pay less then we were with Metrocast for both. It isn't perfect but Direct is 100% better and less frustrating then cable was.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
wifi

Similar problems in M'boro with TW. Ever since they changed the cable modem and re-adjusted the gain on the pole, the internet speed is fine:

Down: 30.26
Up: 4.90
Ping: 55

except during the summer, when everyone is using it, that is a different story.

The cable TV is a different matter. Every few weeks, I loose half my channels. If I plug the TV into the other side of the box, I can see them fine. (you might try this to watch the Pats). They schedule an appointment for days later, then curiously the next day, I notice the box has been rebooted (Its turned off) and its working fine for another week or two, like they uploaded a patch to it. Seems like they really have technical issues. I was on a SA box, they changed it to a HD Samsung (I don't have HD TVs, but this allows them to charge more), with the same problem. I'm getting tired of it.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Down: 30.26
Up: 4.90
Ping: 55
NICE!!

Good down load and upload speeds.
Even the ping looks good.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
wifi

Allegedly on TW:

Basic= 10/1
Turbo= 20/2
Extreme= 30/5

Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Antenna

I was happy using my antenna until the feds sold the analog signal and the TV stations had to go digital. The frosting on the cake was when the feds force WMTW to cease broadcasting from Mt Washington. WMUR can't hold a candle to WMTW news, weather and broadcasting.
I did enjoy WMTW on cable until the feds decided Belknap county is Boston Market and Metrocast pull the plug. I was steamed. I sent many letters to FCC about their decisions with only a polite form letter as an answer.
I guess Metrocast has a beef with the association about the cable being underground and the association needs to upgrade the wires for digital broadcast and internet? I'm lost here, cable is cable. When I ask for internet access, a subcontractor ran a new cable, from the box across two units and up to my living room. The association was fuming as I and Metrocast did not get permission from the association to do so. Metrocast claims the new cable are capable of carrying digital signal. I say why do the units need new wires when you can't even change the underground wires for digital? They say they can and I will benefit from it. Every units were wired for cable with outlets in the bedrroms, kitchen, porch and living room. Today we have to hire someone to rewire the units.
Disk TV at first was out of the question. The association will not allow it until the FCC ruled that associations and landlords cannot block access to satelites. The loophole is that the disk can only be attach to your unit. My unit do not have a clear path to a satelite and the association will not allow a tower or to have the disk on my neighbors units. Its a tough sell.
If I have to, I will move North in order to get WMTW.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
wifi

As you (might) know, drops to the units/residences are of lower quality/bandwidth with more loss. With the more channels/increased internet speed, most of the cable nodes are fiber, wouldn't it be nice if they would be allowed pull fiber to each unit. This is one reason I don't live in an association, I don't need another layer of government deciding what I want.

Anyway, I don't know of a commercial solution to Carrol county wanting access to Boston, and Belknap wanting access to Portland. Anyone rebroadcasting these signals have to pay royalties to the stations involved and this 'service' would be expensive, if it could ever get off the ground.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Moultonborough 12-90 1814

Just did mine using the link.

23.29 down
.94 up
18 ms ping
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Winnisquamguy

I found this today... these cable companies suck!!

Quote:
If you have cable TV service, you probably have at least one set-top box in your house. On Monday, a federal rule change takes effect that could eventually force you to rent more cable boxes.
Right now, most cable systems don’t scramble the “basic tier” service which includes local broadcast stations, public, government and education channels, as well as some non-premium programming. Buy basic service and you can plug the cable into a digital set that has a QAM tuner and see these unencrypted channels without a set-top box.

Cable companies want to scramble everything coming through their wire, including basic service. They say this will allow them to reduce theft – prevent people from watching programs they didn’t pay for – and improve customer service.
Their plan is to keep every cable household connected to the network and then activate or terminate service remotely, rather than sending out the cable guy. They say this will improve efficiency – technicians can focus on more difficult installations – and reduce the need for customers to stay at home waiting for service.
The Federal Communications Commission had prohibited the encryption of basic cable since 1994. But in October, the commission voted to allow it, starting on Dec. 10.
“By permitting cable operators to join their competitors in encrypting the basic service tier, the Commission has adopted a sensible, pro-consumer approach that will reduce overall in-home service calls and accelerate cable operators’ transition to all-digital networks,” said Michael Powell, president of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) in a statement.
Should your cable company do that, you will need a set-top box on every TV in the house to watch any cable programming.
A charge for every television
“The cable companies, with the FCC’s blessing, have figured out how to pick the pockets of cable customers and charge them for every television they have – even when they don’t really need a cable box,” said consumer advocate Edgar Dworsky, founder of ConsumerWorld.org

Dworsky told me he has “secondary” television sets in his kitchen, office and guest room. Each of these has the cable wire from the wall connected to it so he can watch his local TV stations. If his cable company encrypts those stations, which he expects it to do sometime in the next six months, he’ll need to get converter boxes for each of those sets – or buy an antenna.
The FCC acknowledged that its rule change would “adversely affect a small number” of cable subscribers.
Dworsky calls that “ludicrous.” And he points to comments filed by the City of Boston, which warned the commission that allowing cable operators to encrypt basic service “would result in real and substantial benefits for cable operators, and equally real and substantial costs for consumers.”
None of the six major cable companies in the country has announced a date to encrypt basic channels.
In an email to NBC News, NCTA spokesman Brian Dietz noted that Cablevision already encrypts basic service in New York City under a waiver granted by the FCC in 2010. Dietz said the company did not receive any complaints from its customers.
When asked what it planned to do, Comcast, the country’s largest cable service provider, said in a statement:
“Currently, we do not have any announcements to make. Should we plan any changes in the future, we will notify any impacted customers well ahead of time.”

Dworsky insists Comcast and other cable companies would not have lobbied so hard for the rule change if they did not plan to scramble basic cable channels.
The details of the FCC’s encryption decision
Before a cable company can encrypt basic service, it must give customers 30 days advance notice. The FCC rule requires them to give two free converter boxes to customers with only basic service for two years and one free box to everyone else for one year. After that, the cable companies could sell or rent the boxes.

The FCC’s decision does not require those free converter boxes to deliver high-definition signals. For basic service in HD, customers would have to rent an HD box which could cost as much as $10 a month.
Consumer advocates say these box rentals will become a new revenue stream for cable companies.
“People have gotten used to seeing these channels for free, so this is going to be a setback for many folks,” said Linda Sherry, director of national priorities at Consumer Action. “People have to ask themselves if cable TV is something they want and can afford, because it’s going to continue to go up in price.”
Dworsky hopes unhappy customers will let the FCC and their cable companies know how they feel about the rule change.
“This will be a good test to see which cable companies really care about their customers and which care more about their bottom line,” he said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/cabl...-fee-1C7476067
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
NoBozo

I'm down in RI and I just switched (This Week) from Verizon DSL to Cox Cable. Verizon Speeds varied from 679 to 2523 mbps. Three years of DSL drops and hassles. Talking to people in the Phillipines. I was payiing for "UP To" 1500 mbps. Once in awile I got it.

NOW my speeds (Cox cable) are pretty solid at 3280. I am happy as a pig in ****.

I'm just talking Internet. I'm not fussy: I get my TV from DirecTV and not even HD or DVR or...whatever. I go to bed at 8:00 PM almost every night. That's what happens when you get OLD. I need my REST. NB

PS: I still need my Internet to get the REAL NEWS.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
inquiring one

Update : After receiving 8 calls from TW to confirm tomorrows appt, I called them again, sat on hold for a few minutes and then got a human. I explained the situation and asked if he could "Please make the calls stop" When he asked if there was anything else he could do, I told him he could give the tech a heads up that it is a area issue or he should bring a bunch of new boxes. I was told that regardless of my opinion the tech would need to find the problem himself.
Within the hour I received another call explaining that there has been a area wide issue which has been resolved and my appointment had been cancelled....so confused, but it works...for now.
As far as a dish system goes.. I can't. Some folks have trees in the sight line- I have an entire mountain.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiring one View Post
.... As far as a dish system goes.. I can't. Some folks have trees in the sight line- I have an entire mountain.
A neighbor first tried Direct TV last spring, but ran into the tree/big hill issue and they couldn't make it work. The neighbor brought in Dish and now he's happy with the service and signal. It seems the latter points toward different satellites, in a different direction (around 30-40 degrees more southerly than with DTV) and double the angle upward. Now he's looking over the tops of different trees. Which satellite service to try thus may depend on your local terrain and tree configuration.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Billy Bob

I have the tree issue with Direct TV also . My HD works great on the tv with no box but the tv with the box gets just plain poor picture results , seems the box sucks the life out of the signal . I was going to remove the box but from the previous post seems thats not happening .

I also use Apple tv for movies and other " stuff " they have available. Uses the internet line and has a GREAT picture and great music to your stero etc
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
songkrai

I have Time Warner for internet.
Direct TV for television.

With Direct TV one can have two homes and one account.
Some of the snowbirds carry their receiver with them.
I purchased mine and have a receiver at both homes.
One phone call to turn any receiver on or off.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I honestly do not understand how anyone would stay with cable for TV.
We have Metrocast for internet, and Direct for TV and we pay less then we were with Metrocast for both. It isn't perfect but Direct is 100% better and less frustrating then cable was.
Same set-up...no problems, cheaper than full Metro and DTV gives me SO much more. Almost never an interruption in signal. I get wifi all the way to the end of my docks with the MC router/modem.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote