Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Columbus Day Weekend

Had a fantastic four days on the lake. Weather allowed me to stay on the boat for three beautiful almost full moon nights! I even went swimming at the sand bars!

Gas was $3.74 at LL marina. I haven't use the boat much this summer so heck let's use it now. Four days and 180 gallons later I am grinning from ear to ear! It was great to be ripping around the lake like I own it!

I and my family even did a little water skiing, wake boarding and knee boarding. Fantastic, as the lake was like glass with no boat traffic!

While most places were open, I'm amazed the Town Docks was closed. I'm also amazed at the number of docks up and boats out of the water.

I haven't seen the lake like this since the 60's and 70's.

I remember Thanksgiving of 2003? It was 70 degrees and many locals were boating on the big lake. A repeat this year? We will see.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Bear Island South

We have been on the lake since 2003 and I can not remember a more spectacular October weekend than this one. We took the family down to the Weirs on Sunday and was surpised to see how busy it was, 20 minute wait for ice cream and slushies. All in all a great weekend, we will be comparing this one for years to come.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
GTO

Default summer day

Went over to Wolfboro on Saturday. The most boat traffic I have seen on the lake all summer. When we were going into the harbor there were at least 15 boats coming out. Five boats waiting for spots at the dock when we arrived. An unbelievable day on the water....all weekend
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
XCR-700

Yup it was OUTSTANDING!

XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
We have been on the lake since 2003 and I can not remember a more spectacular October weekend than this one. We took the family down to the Weirs on Sunday and was surpised to see how busy it was, 20 minute wait for ice cream and slushies. All in all a great weekend, we will be comparing this one for years to come.
You couldn't ask for better weather and boating conditions. It's been some time since I've seen folks tubing, skiing, and boarding on Columbus Day weekend. Even though a lot of boats were out of the water due to Irene, there were still noticably more than normal for Columbus Day.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Just Sold

Thumbs up Great Day Sunday!

It was a great Columbus Day weekend. We got to spend Sunday on the boat and cruised from Gilford to the east end of the lake with some friends. We had a great lunch at Shibley's at the Pier too. But alas it was the last day of our boating season. This week the boat is to be winterized and put away for her winter rest. My wife and I can't wait for ice out. BTW for a first time boater my wife loves cruising on Winni and our new to us Wellcraft too. We had a great boating season.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Dave R

We had our last day of boating on Columbus Day. We launched in Alton Bay, went to Meredith for the last holding tank pumpout of the season, cruised to Lee's Mill via the LI bridge and the tricky route around the north side of Dow and by Pistol Island, went to Wolfeboro for a late lunch and back to Alton Bay for ice cream. Great way to end the season for us. That said, the boat will remain un-Winterized for a bit, just in case...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Yes it was a beautiful weekend, even in Maine... It certainly didn't feel like October.... Unfortunately do to other commitments, my boat gets pulled in Sept. Usually although this is the first year in Many years, water depth would have allowed me to still have it at the dock. The lake level this year I believe is also a factor in the number of late season boaters.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
AC2717

I am so jealous, I wanted to be there soo bad, but my brother was getting married, I am hold out that this weekend will be nice as well, I know not as hot but still nice, enough to get on the water
Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
hancoveguy

It was a great boating weekend indeed,

However...wondering how many boats ran out of gas this weekend? We left on a quarter of a tank and headed to Ambrose Cove, then Lanes End, then Melvin Village. At Melvin Village we ran into someone tryin to get gas that just came from 19 Mile bay...all were closed Sunday at 1 pm...So we limped over to the inside pump at Trexlers. If Trexlers wasnt open we wold have been up a well known tributary without a means of locomotion....(yes, you people know the creek of which I speak)

Thank god they were open...for $4.65/gallon...ouch
Was still worth it..what a great day on the lake.

We did see at least 2 different boats being towed..Gas?

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post

We did see at least 2 different boats being towed..Gas?

HCG
My bet would be dead batteries from excessive bilge pump operation over the past few weeks and they were headed to the trailer anyway.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
jrc

The other thing to remember is that the gas dock close earlier now. Most will close by 5PM where they were open till 8PM on weekends. I fell into this trap before.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
John A. Birdsall

Default bilge pump

this is the first year that I haven't used the bildge pump, which means the battery was only used for lights and starting. We have had a great season on the lake, and still have a couple days left of boating with the pontoon boat. I thought Columbus Day weekend was the best ever. Went to the bay in short sleeve shirts on Sunday, was just great.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Gas on the northern part of the lake has always been an issue late and early in the season. After Labor day, many places switch the hours, and are just not even open on Sundays... The other thing some of the gas docks do is run the tanks dry and then don't fill them again until spring. Always be aware and call ahead about gas.....