Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2023, 03:53 PM   #1
gokart-mozart

Default Investigation of the Fire

A chain link fence has gone up around the rubble @ Hunter's.

There is a sign posted that reads; "NOTICE: This fire is currently under investigation and critical evidentiary items are present. Do not move, alter, destroy or remove anything from the area described below. Do not enter."

The sign is posted by Fire and Explosion Investigations, Inc., a Private Investigations firm based in Monmouth, ME (at least that's their PO Box).

Does anyone know if the involvement of investigators like this (other than the Wolfeboro FD and the State Fire Marshal) is normal at this point, or does it imply that there's something suspicious?
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #2
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post

There is a sign posted that reads; "NOTICE: This fire is currently under investigation and critical evidentiary items are present. Do not move, alter, destroy or remove anything from the area described below. Do not enter."

The sign is posted by Fire and Explosion Investigations, Inc., a Private Investigations firm based in Monmouth, ME (at least that's their PO Box).

Does anyone know if the involvement of investigators like this (other than the Wolfeboro FD and the State Fire Marshal) is normal at this point, or does it imply that there's something suspicious?
If I were the insurance company, I would insist on this for almost any fire. Therefore, nothing noteworthy
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post

Very normal for any fire.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:21 PM   #4
Fishinfergy

Most all fires will be investigated by a third-party from the insurance company. They do it for subrogation purposes. To see if they can recoup from whatever the cause may have been. This preserves the evidence until all parties are able to inspect.
Fishinfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:24 PM   #5
root1

An insurance company's primary objective, as with all public corporations, is to make money for their stockholders. Of significant note, is their uncanny ability to deny claims.

For starters, they will search for any dated construction materials from the rubble; Romex, porcelain fixtures, PVC pipe, structural steel, door frames, etc.; and then obtain copies of all construction/repair permits. If they find any discrepancies, the claim will most likely be denied; citing the unauthorized repairs contributed to the fire.

I'm praying the loss is covered and wish Hunter's a quick recovery.
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2023, 09:49 PM   #6
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
An insurance company's primary objective, as with all public corporations, is to make money for their stockholders. Of significant note, is their uncanny ability to deny claims.

For starters, they will search for any dated construction materials from the rubble; Romex, porcelain fixtures, PVC pipe, structural steel, door frames, etc.; and then obtain copies of all construction/repair permits. If they find any discrepancies, the claim will most likely be denied; citing the unauthorized repairs contributed to the fire.
This theory is a REAL stretch.
MRD (01-23-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:56 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,534 Times in 992 Posts

I think fire is fire unless purposely set, the owners will get their money. Looking at all those other factors is more likely to provide opportunities for subrogation, or to limit the use of particular products in the future.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
MRD (01-23-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 05:12 AM   #8
ApS

Arrow Their Second Fire of Note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think fire is fire unless purposely set, the owners will get their money. Looking at all those other factors is more likely to provide opportunities for subrogation, or to limit the use of particular products in the future.
This isn't Hunter's first fire!

...I have the T-shirt...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:13 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,390 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
This isn't Hunter's first fire!

...I have the T-shirt...
Show us the shirt.

It looks like their plan is to open by next July.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
reisysmith (08-05-2023), Waterbaby (08-12-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:42 AM   #10
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post

I'm praying the loss is covered and wish Hunter's a quick recovery.
And denying a claim on a fire of this type would result in a law suit that would cost the insurance company more then the claim. This might seem like a big claim to the average guy but it’s a small deal to a decent size insurance company.
Some legitimate discussion of the payout and values might occur but if the owner bought proper coverage and placed realistic values on what was insured the claim will be paid . ( prayers only needed for the under insured )
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
lakewind (01-30-2023)