Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
MikeF-NH

Default Kevins Cafe

Last night my wife and I were looking for something different to go out and enjoy our 15th wedding anniversary. We wanted to go up to the lake and hit a restaraunt we heard about but haven't tried before. I recalled hearing about Kevins cafe on this and other message boards and it turned out last night was their "All you can eat Lobster Buffet" night.

It was well worth the drive up! The first impression is how small the place was with 3 tables plus the buffet in the main dining room. Kevin and his waitress (wife?) were very friendly and inviting and the place had a very intimate and family type atmosphere. If you are expecting a four star dining experince with lots of staff and room to roam, you might be disappointed but if you just want good food in a quiet place with a great owner, Kevins is for you.

The lobster and clams were perfectly cooked which was amazing considernig they had to sit in chaffing dishes waiting on hungry diners. The mussels were a bit smallish but well cooked. Kevin put out an amazing chowder and very good seafood newburg. My wife loved his homemade salad dressing (who eats salad when you are out for all you can eat lobster???) and also liked his homemade cocktail sauce with the peel and eat shrimp. We never got near dessert which looked good.

We shared a piece of Kevins prime rib (just because it's offered) and it was so wonderful that we ordered and shared a second piece.

Great little place. Lets keep these small businesses alive with our business...it's a win-win.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (06-27-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (08-16-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (06-27-2011), VitaBene (06-27-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
bclaker

Smile Kevin's Cafe in Moultonborough

My wife and I stopped at Kevin's Cafe for lunch last Saturday. She had a shrimp wrap and I had fried sea scallops. She said her wrap was very good and my sea scallops were plentiful and cooked just the way I like them, not overcooked. The French fries were nice and crispy and the cole slaw was perfect. The prices were very reasonable.

BCLAKER

PS: MEREDITH LADY said she was stopped by the Marine Patrol for lack of a flotation device and whistle on her maiden voyage in the kayak she won at the ForumFest.

Last edited by bclaker; 08-15-2011 at 04:33 PM.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
MarkinNH

We did the AYCE fried clam dinner at Kevins last summer and it was an excellant feed. The clams were nice and fresh and cooked perfect.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I'd love to try some of those other things but I can't get past the crabcakes.......best on the planet and I have them for an entree.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
KPW (08-22-2011), Meredith lady (08-17-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
funinthesun

Where is Kevins?
funinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Moultonborough

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun View Post
Where is Kevins?
Rt 25 in Moultonborough, just coming out of Center Harbor on the right. They have a 2nd location (take-out only on the Weirs Pier).
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Rt 25 in Moultonborough, just coming out of Center Harbor on the right. They have a 2nd location (take-out only on the Weirs Pier).
As VitaBene already mentioned. It is in a small "mini" mall called Pine Hill Plaza, just up the highway from Dunkin Donuts. There is a Chinese restaraunt called "Lee Wahs" (spelling) on the lower level, there is the Verizon Wireless store next to Kevins on the upper level.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
jrc

I've been to Kevin's a couple of times and the food is great. I always get the crab cakes and she always gets the haddock.

Don't throw stones, but I do find the place a little weird. You enter the main door and you are in a little room that doesn't really look like a resturant. I'm always seated there. I know there is another room but I'm not sure how you get there. I always see people entering and leaving through another outside door. You can hear the chef cooking and talking to the other people but I always feel like I'm not really in the resturant, but the lobby. Meredith Lady is a great server and we never lack for attention.

This doesn't stop me from going, we are in Gilford so distance is the biggest issue. I have driven to Center Harbor just to eat there.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (08-17-2011)