Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Lkin

Default any stolen boat insurance stories?

I just had my boat and trailer stolen, and i am dealing with the insurance comoany (boatUS).
Unless its found in good shape (it is a new 2013 bennington 2275) the season will be over for me as the insurance company wont settle for 60 days.

Anyone have stolen boat/insurance stories?
Lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Oh no! That's awful! Where was it stolen from?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkin View Post
I just had my boat and trailer stolen, and i am dealing with the insurance comoany (boatUS).
Unless its found in good shape (it is a new 2013 bennington 2275) the season will be over for me as the insurance company wont settle for 60 days.

Anyone have stolen boat/insurance stories?
I've often wondered why more boats aren't stolen. If you could give us more details on what happened It would be appreciated. I'm sorry.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Lkin

It was stolen from a to remain unnamed storage facility near the lake. It was taken overnight. The police told me boat theft reports are rare for them, that unlike cars, they are not easy to sell and re register, they are not chopped like cars. It was entered into a national database on monday.
Now, being that i watch a lot of cop shows, i know they can check the feeds from security cams, toll booths, the FBI,CIA, ICE, DEA databases and such, canvass the neighborhoods, put out BOLO requests.
Somehow I get the idea they won't do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lkin For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
HomeWood

**** thieves! How incredibly frustrating and right at the beginning of boating season.

The police dept entered the boat and trailer into NCIC (run by FBI), which is the national database you mentioned. That means if any law enforcement agency (nationwide) runs a check on the tag or VINs, they will come back as stolen.

As far as the investigation goes, they can only do what they can do. They will check any cameras at the storage place or near it. They may even check Craigslist and you can check Craigslist, too. My PD has had lots of people find their own stuff on CL and then we set up a "sting" or buy to get it back. I honestly don't see them checking toll booths cameras or anything like that. That's a needle in a haystack and the haystack is the time it would take to review each camera at every tollbooth. Police departments do a cost benefit analysis just like any private company would do on a certain project. So many cases and only so many people to investigate them.

The police don't have any more clues to it's whereabouts than you do, but I understand the frustration. Hopefully somebody will call in a suspicious boat parked in an odd place or a diligent state trooper will run the trailer tag as it goes down the road. Seriously, look for a brand new outboard being sold on CL for a low low price. Do you have the serial # to the engine? You can go look at any engine that you think could be yours and match the numbers.

Just brain storming and I hope you get the boat back!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Lkin

The story continues... the thieves left the boat tied to a pier on the north shore of massachusetts. Early indications are no prop, lower unit damage, a kicked in gate, dented pontoon, no speakers. And no trailer.
Ill post again when its is properly assessed.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
PaugusBayFireFighter

A few years back someone had their Bravo XR outdrives and props stolen from in front of Silver Springs Marina while on display for sale. They were stolen off a Fountain 35' Lightning. Seems these boats were being targeted because of the drives. The marina called to let us know our boat should be watched as we also had the same equipment. Before I was here all summer we would park the boat at the house a few days before we launched it. Midweek our neighbor heard and saw some activity near the trailered boat and chased off the suspicious party. Turns out they were only a couple minutes from having the outdrives removed. We were very lucky. Boat thieves know these outdrives are big money and I'm sure they are constantly casing the area for easy targets.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

OH no! It is so sad these things happen. Sorry it wasn't found safe and sound. It makes me nervous, we leave one trailer just sitting out there. I said last weekend, it would be so easy for someone to just hook it up and take it away. I think we should lock it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
ApS

Question

Quote:
The story continues... the thieves left the boat tied to a pier on the north shore of massachusetts. Early indications are no prop, lower unit damage, a kicked in gate, dented pontoon, no speakers. And no trailer.
Won't BoatUS transport your boat back to the marina to be repaired—and you'll have your season back?

...unless it gets stolen again...

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
HomeWood

What a lot of trouble for a joy ride! I'm glad you got it back, but hate to see it damaged. These things make me so angry. I hope the rest of your boating season goes well and safe.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Winnilifer

Default Boat recovered

Wow - You don't here that to often - Lousy that it's damaged but if your lucky (a little response from ins and dealer) you could salvage most of the boating season

Good Luck
Winnilifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Lkin

Boat us is going to pay the shipping back to channel marine. I should know more in a few days how extensive
The
damage is. I expect to be boating before long.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Tagdot

Quote:
north shore of massachusetts? Can you be more specific?
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Lkin

It was left in saugus
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
A few years back someone had their Bravo XR outdrives and props stolen from in front of Silver Springs Marina while on display for sale. They were stolen off a Fountain 35' Lightning. Seems these boats were being targeted because of the drives. The marina called to let us know our boat should be watched as we also had the same equipment. Before I was here all summer we would park the boat at the house a few days before we launched it. Midweek our neighbor heard and saw some activity near the trailered boat and chased off the suspicious party. Turns out they were only a couple minutes from having the outdrives removed. We were very lucky. Boat thieves know these outdrives are big money and I'm sure they are constantly casing the area for easy targets.
Outdrives should be removed every year to check the engine alignment and it is surprisingly easy work. All modern outdrives, unless locked, are just a couple of minutes from being removed. With a helper, a 5/8" wrench, a 5/8" socket and a speed wrench, I could easily have a Bravo XR drive/prop off in under 2 minutes. There's only two plastic caps and seven 5/8" nuts with washers that have to come off, they are all very accessible, rarely corroded (bronze nuts on stainless steel) and not terribly tight.

These will likely make a thief choose another boat to attack: http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ID=GSHOP_28295
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
OH no! It is so sad these things happen. Sorry it wasn't found safe and sound. It makes me nervous, we leave one trailer just sitting out there. I said last weekend, it would be so easy for someone to just hook it up and take it away. I think we should lock it.
You should always lock the trailer if it is not hooked to your car. especially when the boat is sitting on it...

Mine is locked even sitting in a storage yard... I had marina get a little pissy with me over it one time, but when they found out that I would just take the boat somewhere else the accommodated the request..