Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2023, 01:54 PM   #1
dmjr

Default Doris E

Does anyone know what is going to on with the Doris E? I see shrink wrapping has been removed.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:22 AM   #2
LoveLakeLife

I was told by one of the employees that the fleet will be down one Doris E. and it will likely be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
reisysmith (07-30-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 08:14 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
I was told by one of the employees that the fleet will be down one Doris E. and it will likely be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
This would not surprise me given the two recent purchases.....Time will tell....
Old 07-31-2023, 10:45 AM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default "General"

Correct me if you recall differently. The "General" was a work boat at the shipyard in East Boston owned by the Hedbloms. In the 50's, she was brought to Winnipesaukee for use as Byron Hedblom's personal yacht. I remember seeing her on the lake in the 50's. In the 60's, she was reconstructed, adding to both front and back, with new twin engines and christened "Doris E". Point is, the central section of the Doris is pretty old, perhaps pre-war? Anybody know? My Google search didn't turn up significant history prior to becoming the Doris E. Perhaps one of Bruce Heald's book tells more?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:55 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Correct me if you recall differently. The "General" was a work boat at the shipyard in East Boston owned by the Hedbloms. In the 50's, she was brought to Winnipesaukee for use as Byron Hedblom's personal yacht. I remember seeing her on the lake in the 50's. In the 60's, she was reconstructed, adding to both front and back, with new twin engines and christened "Doris E". Point is, the central section of the Doris is pretty old, perhaps pre-war? Anybody know? My Google search didn't turn up significant history prior to becoming the Doris E. Perhaps one of Bruce Heald's book tells more?
You are correct, This information and lots of additional pieces of information can be found here: https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...36e2710fc.html
Descant (07-31-2023), Janet (08-01-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #6
reisysmith

Are there pictures of the Doris e being sold right now? Also I will miss the Doris e but I feel like they are retiring the Doris e because of the fleet is adding the Winnipesaukee Belle and they added the Winnipesaukee spirit but are there any pictures of it right now?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
reisysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:19 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisysmith View Post
Are there pictures of the Doris e being sold right now? Also I will miss the Doris e but I feel like they are retiring the Doris e because of the fleet is adding the Winnipesaukee Belle and they added the Winnipesaukee spirit but are there any pictures of it right now?

I will try to take picture of the Doris E this weekend when I go up. Currently she is on stands in the ship yard...... I can't say that I disagree with you... I think that when the Sophie C, started to have problems, they took a look at both boats.... and after overhauling the Sophie C. realized it was cost prohibitive to rehab the Doris E.
reisysmith (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #8
reisysmith

Oh okay take pictures of it when you this weekend also is the Doris e being retired? Also could you take pictures of the Winnipesaukee Belle as well getting renovated in the shipyard?

Old 08-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisysmith View Post
Oh okay take pictures of it when you this weekend also is the Doris e being retired? Also could you take pictures of the Winnipesaukee Belle as well getting renovated in the shipyard?
Earlier in July, the Belle was high and dry at Fay's (Smith Cove, Gilford), not Center Harbor.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:15 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Earlier in July, the Belle was high and dry at Fay's (Smith Cove, Gilford), not Center Harbor.
Actually the belle is now over in Center Harbor.... The moved I think back in June.....

I will take some pictures, of both boats easy enough to do....
reisysmith (08-03-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 02:42 PM   #11
dykg

The Doris E. should be repaired/refurbished and return to service. It is a staple of Weirs Beach. It goes along with the Sophie C.
Save the Doris E.!
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dykg For This Useful Post:
reisysmith (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 03:34 PM   #12
reisysmith

Yeah I agree with you but I think they are getting rid of it because the fleet has the Winnipesaukee spirit and Winnipesaukee Belle now.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Unfortuantely my weekend was way more hectic then I thought it would be I didn't have a chance to get some pictures of the Doris E....
The Real BigGuy (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 09:28 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykg View Post
The Doris E. should be repaired/refurbished and return to service. It is a staple of Weirs Beach. It goes along with the Sophie C.
Save the Doris E.!
While it would be nice to never see things changes.... The Doris E. has had a long life. And with some look if they do indeed sell here, she will go on to live another life somewhere else.

Mt. Washington Cruise is a company..... the need to be profitable.... They had 3 old boats, the Mt. Washington isn't going anywhere, but there are significant costs to keeping here going. The Sophie C. had to go through an extensive overhaul, to get her back on the water, A cost I am sure that wasn't necessarily easily budgeted for. I would believe they took a long hard look at the Doris E. and what it would take to refurbish her hull, along with other needed updates. If the Spirt of Winnipesaukee hadn't come along, and then the Winni-Belle, it might have been worth it to the company to make the repairs. But at this point it is a different story....

Change happens...
reisysmith (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 09:30 AM   #15
reisysmith

Yeah I agree with you I am going to miss the Doris e I'm sad that it's going away but I understand they added the Winnipesaukee Belle and Winnipesaukee Belle to the fleet now and they are definitely going to keep the mount Washington and Sophie c.