Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
nightrider

Default Wolfeboro Taxes

Anyone know why the Wolfeboro Tax rate increased by such a large percentage (10.5%) this tax period?
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Heaven

Mr. Owen stated the town has received its tax rate from the Department of Revenue Administration. He stated there
is a substantial increase in the school portion of the rate, an increase in the town’s portion primarily due to the
capital warrant articles approved last year and a small increase to the County portion. He stated the increase was
$1.16 per thousand, or 10.5%, to $12.20. He noted the town applied $1.2 million dollars of surplus to help offset the
tax rate and even with this significant increase the town’s tax rate is still among the lowest in the State.
Chairman Silk noted out of 260 Wolfeboro is 246 on the list.
Mr. Bowers noted that Wolfeboro residents have a lot of amenities for their taxes and that many towns pay two to
three times that amount for fewer amenities.
Mrs. Murray stated that she looked at how much they did not bond at $1.8 million dollars and this shows the impact
of doing that and is concerned about this significant increase. She stated that the town of New Durham’s tax rate is
$22.40 per thousand with $12.88 of that for the school portion vs. Wolfeboro’s $6.72. She stated even with this
large increase they are still doing better than most of their surrounding communities.

That was from the town website minutes of the selectmens meeting on 11/2

http://wolfeboronh.us/Pages/Wolfebor...Min/2011-index
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (11-22-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Lakepilot

It's not just the tax rate that's gone up, it's the valuations. Our taxes have increased 44.70% in two years. We've been in the Lakes Region since 1980 and fear we'll have to move somewhere else.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
paul0001

The valuations are totally unrealistic. I've had my cottage on the market for over a year priced way below the tax valuation, and didn't even get one showing. It's robbery.
paul0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
nightrider

Default Tax rip

The original purchase price my father paid for our land on Winni is less than half of one year of taxes today on that same property. He would turn over in his grave if he knew this.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Mr. Owen stated the town has received its tax rate from the Department of Revenue Administration. He stated there
is a substantial increase in the school portion of the rate, an increase in the town’s portion primarily due to the
capital warrant articles approved last year and a small increase to the County portion. He stated the increase was
$1.16 per thousand, or 10.5%, to $12.20. He noted the town applied $1.2 million dollars of surplus to help offset the
tax rate and even with this significant increase the town’s tax rate is still among the lowest in the State.
Chairman Silk noted out of 260 Wolfeboro is 246 on the list.
Mr. Bowers noted that Wolfeboro residents have a lot of amenities for their taxes and that many towns pay two to
three times that amount for fewer amenities.
Mrs. Murray stated that she looked at how much they did not bond at $1.8 million dollars and this shows the impact
of doing that and is concerned about this significant increase. She stated that the town of New Durham’s tax rate is
$22.40 per thousand with $12.88 of that for the school portion vs. Wolfeboro’s $6.72. She stated even with this
large increase they are still doing better than most of their surrounding communities.

That was from the town website minutes of the selectmens meeting on 11/2

http://wolfeboronh.us/Pages/Wolfebor...Min/2011-index

So the answer to your question is "don't complain, we could be as bad as New Durham"? Great bet that makes everyone in town feel better that they are getting porked just a little less than everyone else!

Well folks of Wolfeboro don't worry if the town doesn't get you Obama will since surely you're all rich and can 'wink wink' afford to pay your 'fair share'.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Jonas Pilot

I'm confused by your post. Do you live in Wolfeboro?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Heaven

I'm confused by your post, it sounds political.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heaven For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Mink Islander

Default Maxim, who voted for the tax increase?

Oh yeah, the residents of Wolfboro. It's called democracy. Hate it when that happens eh Maxim?
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I think maybe the selectmen are finally getting it since they say they are not going to put the Town Hall project on the ballot this year. People are hurting especially in this economy and as you said, Lakepilot, people are going to move out.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
. People are hurting especially in this economy and as you said, Lakepilot, people are going to move out.
If they do decide to move out where are they going to go? Wolfeboro has one of the lowest tax rate on Lake Winnie and in New Hampshire for that matter. They are a few towns over on Newfound Lake that are lower but don't have the sevices. Looks to me like you have all the town services, fire, police, water, etc. Be happy living in the oldest summer resort, because you really don't know how good you really have it. Here is a link to all the towns 2010 rates.http://www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/...elatedData.htm
CateP (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
CateP

As any transplant from the northeast will tell you, taxes in Wolfeboro (not waterfront or views) ARE low compared to most other places. That is one reason why I am moving here.

I have also noticed that lakes region towns tend to raise taxes for specific projects and once they are completed the taxes have actually gone DOWN. You won't see THAT in a lot of places.

In my former NJ town they did a property re-assessment several years ago. The re-assessment resulted in a HUGE tax increase and a lot of fixed income people who had been living in the town for decades felt they had to move. Residents were outraged, but the town committee basically threw up their hands and blamed everything on the state. Every year since, the property taxes have been going up. No end in sight. Even newly elected town committee members become apathetic and can't seem to change anything. I think a lot of residents have become complacent and resigned to their fate...and the town, school and municipal budgets just keep going higher because they know people will pay. I hate to sound so cynical, but this has been my experience as a homeowner in NJ.

It seems like people get involved and have a voice here. And influence. I feel much more hopeful here.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
garysanfran

Default Throw tea into the Lake...

For over 50 years I have watched my neighbors (all of them) sell their property because they can no longer afford the taxes. Someone richer buys it and lives there until they can no longer afford the tax and they sell to someone more wealthy than them, and the scenario repeats.

We are now forced to rent our place out for the summer just to break even on the Meredith tax. So, we use our three-season place in the spring and fall. I'm afraid the "return" on owning our place is diminishing to the point we may have to sell to someone more wealthy than us. The town of Meredith will be very pleased as the "more wealthy" move in. Owners of local businesses will be happy to see us go and be replaced by the more affluent.

If we sell, I am going to find a buyer who is the biggest SOB I can gift to this town.

I can't vote here. I am just a victim of whatever the locals want to do to me. I must admit, they do it with a smile!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Rolie

Default I'm with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
For over 50 years I have watched my neighbors (all of them) sell their property because they can no longer afford the taxes. Someone richer buys it and lives there until they can no longer afford the tax and they sell to someone more wealthy than them, and the scenario repeats.

We are now forced to rent our place out for the summer just to break even on the Meredith tax. So, we use our three-season place in the spring and fall. I'm afraid the "return" on owning our place is diminishing to the point we may have to sell to someone more wealthy than us. The town of Meredith will be very pleased as the "more wealthy" move in. Owners of local businesses will be happy to see us go and be replaced by the more affluent.

If we sell, I am going to find a buyer who is the biggest SOB I can gift to this town.

I can't vote here. I am just a victim of whatever the locals want to do to me. I must admit, they do it with a smile!
We were fortunate to be able to buy in Meredith a bit over 10 years ago. Since then, taxes on our seasonal, under 1000 sq ft. cottage are just short of double what they were. Approaching retirement, I don't see how we will be able to continue unless we rent the place out for at least a month in the summer. And that may be more bother than what it is worth.
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Heaven

Yes, people can certainly move their homes or businesses to a nearby town with a lower tax rate such as Tuftonboro. Then they can drive into Wolfeboro and use the town services "for free" and not need to complain about the tax rate or the fact that they can't vote on budget items. I wonder why they don't?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
sky's

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
If they do decide to move out where are they going to go? Wolfeboro has one of the lowest tax rate on Lake Winnie and in New Hampshire for that matter. They are a few towns over on Newfound Lake that are lower but don't have the sevices. Looks to me like you have all the town services, fire, police, water, etc. Be happy living in the oldest summer resort, because you really don't know how good you really have it. Here is a link to all the towns 2010 rates.http://www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/...elatedData.htm
you could try Moultontucky
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Yes, people can certainly move their homes or businesses to a nearby town with a lower tax rate such as Tuftonboro. Then they can drive into Wolfeboro and use the town services "for free" and not need to complain about the tax rate or the fact that they can't vote on budget items. I wonder why they don't?
Do you mean that you wonder why Tuftonboro residents don't use Wolfeboro services for free? If so, what makes you think they don't?
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

My last posting was commenting on the statement Mrs. Murry said in regards to the town of Wolfeboro's tax increase, specifically comparing it to New Durham.

Do I live in town, no, but I have family who have been long time property owners.

Hey the towns people voted to spend the money, so it get's spent. Tis the way it is. Sadly many of those footing the bill have no say since they are not full time town residents and they pick up the majority share.

I've about given up on my quest for waterfront property. I've worked far to long and hard to get in the position to buy only to have to pay so much just to keep what is rightfully mine. I already get screwed bad enough on my primary residence.

Also noteworthy, it doesn't matter what the tax rate in a town is or what the assessments are in regards to actual market value. These numbers are arbitrary, what really matters is how much budget the voters say the town has to work with. The property values and or tax rate is adjusted accordingly to cover the cost...

If you want this to change it's easy enough to fix, get out and vote down budget measures that just don't make sense (IF you can) and encourage others to as well. Average turn out for these budget votes are pathetically low yet when tax bills go up everyone complains! See by that time it's to late.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
codeman671

Default Are you kidding me?

Even with the increase wolfeboro is a bargain. Try living in Dover or gilford. We pay $10,500 a year in Dover with an assessed value of $428k. In gilford on a seasonal property we pay $9500 a year on one assessed just over $500k. And both are under-assessed in my opinion.

We recently almost bought a home in wolfeboro that was assessed over $750k and the tax bill was $7900. My point is that your money goes a long way in wolfeboro. Venture out, it gets a lot worse in other towns...we can't wait to sell our two homes. We want to move TO wolfeboro.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #20
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Even with the increase wolfeboro is a bargain. Try living in Dover or gilford. We pay $10,500 a year in Dover with an assessed value of $428k. In gilford on a seasonal property we pay $9500 a year on one assessed just over $500k. And both are under-assessed in my opinion.

We recently almost bought a home in wolfeboro that was assessed over $750k and the tax bill was $7900. My point is that your money goes a long way in wolfeboro. Venture out, it gets a lot worse in other towns...we can't wait to sell our two homes. We want to move TO wolfeboro.
And don't forget there is no state income tax in NH!! New Hampshire has one of the lowest tax burdens in the union.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
dpg

(Some) of you folks crack me up...What do you expect owning (on) the lake or maybe at least "nice water views." Sell your waterfront and move 1 mile down the street (same towns) and I'm guessing the savings would be huge. I pay 9,000 a year in Mass with water no where in sight and believe me my home is NOTHING SPECIAL. My folks place in Moultonborough is easily as nice (off the water) and their taxes are half mine. Sorry folks...Some of you I just don't feel sorry for..
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
sunsationdave

Default taxes

Just received my tax bill for laconia wow went down 1100 bucks
bad news i was getting ready to list for old asessed value
now it is 53k lower go figure laconia rate is 20.56
sunsationdave is offline   Reply With Quote