Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Ladder installation ?

I have a Angler Center Console, and will be having a ladder installed at the stern.

Going to purchase a 2 step type folding ladder, which will be mounted to the left of the Outboard.

I know this is probably a common installation, but concerned because of the placement. I have a fresh water bait-well on same side as where mounted holes would be drilled?

Also, besides using stainless steel bolts in mounting bracket, was thinking of using plastic washers, inside and out.

Since I'm a little hesitant about drilling holes in my hull, going to have this professional installed.

Thoughts appreciated !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
8gv

My 2 cents...

I suggest that you consider a longer ladder. I find that going from swimming to climbing the ladder is much easier when the bottom rung is deeper in the water.

Also consider the step from the ladder up into the boat. Is a small platform appropriate?

Try to mount the ladder in such a way that there is ZERO chance that your prop will ever hit it. Sooner or later you will motor away with it down.

Drilling holes through the transom is a serious task especially if there is wood in it. Seepage can ruin the transom so seal it well.

Use "Bedding Compound" that is specifically made for hull penetrations below the water line.

Use a backing plate for the washers and nuts inside the hull. This will spread out the pressure when you tighten the bolts.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Dave R (02-03-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
My 2 cents...

I suggest that you consider a longer ladder. I find that going from swimming to climbing the ladder is much easier when the bottom rung is deeper in the water.

Also consider the step from the ladder up into the boat. Is a small platform appropriate?
I have had a 2 step ladder, and my wife and I both had to be part acrobat to use it. Since then, I have had a 4 step (loved loved loved it) that we could swim right up to and easily put our foot on the bottom rung and stand up. Current boat has a 3 step, and it is ok, but may change it out to a four step this year.
The older we get, the more we need more steps to get into the boat. I agree with 8gv on this... also on his ideas on installation.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Dave M

Default A tought

Don't know what a console boat looks like at the stern. I have a platform on my boat with a foldout ladder that drops down into the water. Maybe use the foldout idea on your boat. Be able to mount out of the water or have something that mounts over the top of the stern. I have grab bar on my stern to help getting out. Use Velcro strap to keep together when not using.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
dpg

Paying the installation makes good sense if your nervous about it at all..
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Woodsy

Transom space on CC boat is usually at a premium.... the transom goes straight into the water with the OB engine mounted to it. Most runabouts have a "shelf" type transom design with a built in/bolt on swim platform design that makes folding ladders easy to use.

Most CC boats I have seen use a removable Diver type ladder to get in and out of the water. An example...

http://www.amazon.com/Garelick-EEz--...ladders+diving

Woodsy
Old 02-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
Dave M

Default Another thought

Woodsy reminded be of another. On our older boat we used a boarding ladder (4-step)that dropped over the gunwale. It has supports that was used against the side of the boat. It also folded flat for easy storage. No drilling holes. Amazon sells them, just search for "portable ladders for boats".

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave M For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
V ger

Default Ladder instalation

By all means get a ladder that extends well below the water as others have suggested. Imagine trying to get an injured water skier or an exhausted hypothermic individual out of the water and into your boat. A strongly installed permanently installed ladder can be a life saver. Imagine falling over board fully clothed with jacket or coat and trying to get back aboard. Even a strong crew member would find it hard to hoist what could easily be 250 pounds of dead weight onto the boat. They may easily fall overboard themselves. A permanently installed ladder can be equipped with a release that can be used to deploy the ladder by an individual in the water. This can be as simple as a slip knot or spring catch. If you fall overboard when boating alone this may be your only chance to get back aboard. It is hard to justify the meager cost savings of a temporary ladder against the possible loss of life.

I have attached a suggested installation drawing for your consideration. If this idea is not suitable for your ladder or boat let me know and I will see about sending you something more applicable.

One thing you might note is when mounting anything to a cored surface never screw or through bolt without back cutting and filling as shown or similar.
V ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
V ger

Default Ladder instalation drawing

Sorry I forgot to change the drawing format to PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WINNI LADDER MOUNT.pdf (447.0 KB, 383 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
V ger

Default Boarding ladder

In rougher water when one is more likely to fall overboard having too many people trying to help someone up a side mounted temporary ladder may contribute to swamping or even capsizing in a smaller boat.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
V ger

Default Plastic washers

Be very selective using plastic washers as many plastics exhibit cold flow where under pressure the material is squeezed away over time. Also some sealants do not bond well to various plastics. If you are fastening a SS ladder to your boat you will most likely be better off with SS washers as their greater stiffness (given sufficient thickness) does a better job of spreading the load over a greater area. Always consider the use of backing plates.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
V ger

Default Sport Ladders

On a rocking boat it is easy for some ones foot to slip off a ladder rung with out side rails. This could result in injury.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
V ger

Default Amended installation drawing

Here is a revised version of the previous ladder installation drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WINNI LADDER MOUNT.pdf (467.5 KB, 310 views)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
V ger

Default ladder installation

Proof that haste makes waste
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WINNI LADDER MOUNT.pdf (467.5 KB, 369 views)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #15
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I have a Angler Center Console, and will be having a ladder installed at the stern.

Going to purchase a 2 step type folding ladder, which will be mounted to the left of the Outboard.

I know this is probably a common installation, but concerned because of the placement. I have a fresh water bait-well on same side as where mounted holes would be drilled?

Also, besides using stainless steel bolts in mounting bracket, was thinking of using plastic washers, inside and out.

Since I'm a little hesitant about drilling holes in my hull, going to have this professional installed.

Thoughts appreciated !
I echo the recommendation for a longer (deeper) ladder. The ladder on a boat I chartered in the BVI had two rungs. We could not get aboard with it. Fortunately we had a dinghy ladder I brought with us. We used it to get into the dinghy and then climbed from the dinghy to the boat.

The other lesson from that experience is make sure there is a solid handhold to grab on to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #16
Old Sarge

Default Get the longer ladder!

Definitely agree about the longer ladder. I could use the 3 step (extends 36 inches ) but while in the water I needed to put my feet up to get on the bottom rung and then pull myself upright. Just called to have a 4 step ladder installed and it will extend 45 inches, I think it will make a big difference!

Last edited by Old Sarge; 03-22-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote