Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
pgianna

Default Novice boater advice

Hi , looking for some general boating advice.. looking to get into boating. Don't have much experience at all driving one. Maybe a handful of times. Instead of going out an buying a boat right away. I am thinking renting a few times during the summer for the next few years then eventual buying one when I have a better idea of what I would want. My question is really this. I coworker was saying to stay away from Lake Winni until i get experience with boating due to the boat traffic and rough water at times. Suggested to stick to the smaller lakes like winnisquam to really learn. Does that sound reasonable advice. If so what lakes would you recommend as a novice boater. If think winni may be ok, what part of winni would you recommend. Also what marina would be good to rent a boat for a beginner. Maybe an easy in and out. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by pgianna; 07-20-2015 at 06:39 PM.
pgianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

I think there's a problem with your input device--it keeps inserting asterisks for some reason.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

But seriously, I'd never driven a boat until I picked up my brand new pontoon at Trexler's and drove to Center Harbor for ice cream. It's all about taking your time and being proactive. Godspeed!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Better than renting

If you have, or can find a few friends with boats, be blunt and invite yourself out for a day. You can ask all the questions, try different styles and sizes of boats, and the owners will all brag about why their boat is best. Some will tell you why their lake is best, too.

There are other threads on your questions, but nothing beats a good friend who owns a boat. And boat owners always want to share the fun so don't be bashful. It helps if you say, I'll bring or buy lunch as opposed to offering to "share expenses". If you're a guest on a boat that burns 15-30 gph, pulling out a few 20's to pay for gas may be insulting, and if you offer to pay for a fill up at the end of the day, you may be in for a surprise.

After a few friend rides, rent a boat, and invite them.

Oh. No boat friends yet? Take the safe boating course in person and make some friends. Spouse too. This is a family gig.

You don't offer geographical information, but there are probably folks here who could be friends. Maybe some already are.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
camp guy

Default Novice boating advice

In a way, learning to boat is like learning to swim - you gotta just get in and learn.

It is very helpful, obviously, to have someone with you who is knowledgeable in the mechanics of boating, but, remember, boating is also hugely mental. Probably your best boating "tool" will be your common sense. Don't try to 'boat' beyond your current capabilities. If you see someone doing something and you think it looks easy, chances are that that operator has hundreds of hours under his belt.

Winnipesaukee can be very difficult, weather-wise, and there are sections of the Lake that a novice should stay away from, and even experienced boaters should, too, but don't let this scare you, just let it reinforce to you the seriousness of common sense and safety.

There is a whole list of things you need to consider (i.e., compass, chart, anchor, horn/whistle just to name a few).

Watch other boaters around docks and other boats, ask questions, be cautious, be humble.

Have a great time, and learning to boat is a great ride - enjoy it.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
radioman

Default Novice boater

It was very wise of you to ask those questions. Do not spend a dime until you take a formal boating course. You will then need to take the NH Safety Course
if you plan on boating up here in the lakes region. I say that only because the navigation on lakes is very different than on salt water, This fact is critical!
Many of our lakes are very rocky, Winny is one perfect example, and is not at all forgiving!
Renting a boat on any lake is fine but the boat needs to be returned exactly as delivered. If you hit a rock and damage the boat and/or lower unit in any way, you could expect to be charged for any and all damages. Most marinas do not offer insurance so beware.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
pgianna (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
pgianna

Great advice from everybody. BTW I did take the safety course and do have my certificate.
pgianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
NHskier

We got started in boating 9-10 years ago, wondering about the very same questions. Started by spending a lot of time reading through this forum and just absorbing info. Step 2 was to get our boating certificates (completely online at that time) which we used as another important learning opportunity.

After that we rented on Winnisquam for a couple of weekdays. That gave us a sense of whether we were interested in spending the bulk of a day on the water. It also provided a low-stress environment as Winnisquam is relatively easy to navigate, and easy to stay out of trouble. From that experience we learned that we were in fact interested in getting into boating full time, that we could actually handle the very basics of boating and navigation. Also learned a few other things, like a bimini top was going to be a must-have.

After that we got into the hard part - where do we want to be? For us, Winnisquam was a great lake to be on if you had a house. Great for skiing/tubing etc. but not sufficiently interesting to be there just as boaters. So Winnipesaukee it was, approached with a willingness to learn and constant respect (which we maintain even today). We purchased our boat from a reputable Winnipesaukee marina and rented a slip there. It was over a Labor Day weekend so we had a month or so before season end to start exploring and getting some experience without the July-August crowds.

We have availed ourselves of training and advice from the sales and service staff from the start, and continue to learn about the lake and handling our boat.

Winnipesaukee can be a challenge, particularly on July-August weekends, and particularly in the Weirs area. Getting a start on Winnisquam or similar lake can help build confidence in a lower-stress environment.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
pjard

Pgianna, is boating mid week an option for you? If so, take FULL advantage of that. Check out American Boat Club and do mid week times. (I was a member a few years ago, not affiliated with them at all)
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Downeast

Running a boat is a great extension to the soul. Like anything, the more you learn the more fun it becomes.

Ask questions, be humble, receptive and patient.

Think "what if" all the time.. have a plan for basic whoopies such as what to do when you are unsure of where you are going, when you cannot see, when water becomes to rough, what level of lake conditions are unsafe. what is unsafe ..

Know who to contact
have a way to contact .. help thaT IS

have charts..
life coats

be mindful of those that are around you..

be respectful

be seen at night

share the waters

keep voices down in quiet times.. sounds travels over water ..

tie your boat with proper knots

maintain your boat..

go to the ocean and take a coast guard auxiliary class..

there are many things..

prepare for weather or travel times beyond you initial intentions other outside of the "just going out for an hour"

have fun.

learn how you boat works ..

have fun :)

make sure your guests are comfortable

bring water,

have warm clothes,

an anochor,

and a sense of adventure with mindset on prudent travel
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote