Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Filter Housing Removal ?

Having problems removing filter housings…

I have a drilled well water supply to my home. After the water supply comes into the house, water line feeds into a 2 stage Pentek water filter system to clean sediment out of the water. There are actually 2 separate filter housings (plastic). One housing holds a Big Blue 4.5”x12” filter, the other is a pre-filter 1’x10” housing.

To remove filters I use a special filter wrench, basically a plastic handle with a rubber strap, that wraps around the filter. My problem I can't remove the smaller filter housing with wrench. I’ve tried everything… Had two people try to remove with wrench and by hand, won’t budge!

May go down to Gilford Well for recommendations, possibly a different wrench ?

Suggestions ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Lakeboater

I dont think the same filter wrench would fit those two filters. Never thought much of the strap style filter wrenches. Has it worked for you in the past? Did you try it with no pressure in the system? Not trying to be a wise guy but...leftie losie. Any chance you could find an automotive style filter wrench that might fit?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,012 Times in 918 Posts

As Lakeboater indicated make sure there is no pressure. There should be a pressure release/air vent button on top of the assembly.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default O-Rings

It sounds like the filter housings were simply installed too tightly. I suggest before removing, get yourself a couple new rubber o-rings for the housings. The ones on there could be damaged from over torquing. If they are damaged and you don't have a replacement they will leak and you will have to shut your water down until you get a new one. They are extremely cheap and available at most well and water companies, Amazon and probably Walmart.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 08-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #5
lakershaker

Default Sonds like the pressure

We have the same issue with our filters. At the lake, we don't have a pressure relief button right there, so I turn off the water source, then have someone open a sink to relieve the pressure. That should help if it really is a pressure issue. Once you put the new filter on, you'll have to bleed the air back out of the system.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,012 Times in 918 Posts

And on the reinstall lubricate the O-rings and plastic threads with Vaseline.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
robmac

I agree it was over tightened and would shut off inlet and open fausets closest to source and leave open during replacement. You will need replacement o-ring and lube it.Make sure you're at top of filter as allowed when removing.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #8
Broken Glass

Default Silicone Grease

I agree that you must bleed the pressure from the filters before trying to open them up. If you install a "T" with a dump valve inside the loop that isolates the filters, you can dump the pressure in the filters without having to dump the pressure from the whole system.

I have Pex fittings at my place on the island. The first year, I had trouble with leaks when hooking up all of the plastic fittings in the spring. After I lubed up every fitting with silicone grease, I can put them on with ease and I have no leaks. I use it on any threaded plastic fittings in the system, (including the filter canisters) , and they all spin on and off without any cross threading or leaks.
Dan
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote