Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
SIKSUKR

Default Fine for clearing trees

Just saw this on WMUR's website. http://www.wmur.com/news/9482932/detail.html
Old 07-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Lin

The guy in VT that cut trees adjacent to VT waters was just fined $108,000.
http://www.reformer.com/region/ci_4007021
Several homeowners that abutted state property that I used to manage were caught cutting boundry trees, moving state bounds, building on state property. All were turned into the AG's office. Most were not fined but reprimanded and made to replant, replace and remove.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Rayhunt

Default Rediculous

Years ago we clear cut this area NO TREES ! Now when someone wants to improve thier property/view your made an example of.. Im not completely against regulation but 40K for some trees is insane
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
ApS

The guy could have avoided the fines if he had done what a savvy realtor did near me while building a new house:

1) Locate the well next to the lake (legal).
2) Cut a big swath through the trees to allow the well drilling operation. (legal).
3) Cut another big swath to allow space to build the house (legal).
4) Take three years to build the house (legal...I guess ).
5) In the three-year interim, cut down a bunch more big trees between the house and the lake (definitely not legal).
6) Cut still more big trees on the state's "high-water" turf. (legal? )
7) Put up one, two, and now a third concentric silt fence to "keep legal" each year during construction—as mud and silt wash into the lake (legal?)
8) Truck in fill that covers stumps (legal?)

While the "basal count" seems a well-intended DES requirement, a lakefront owner can still cut down every shorefront tree should he own the property long enough. (Or serial owners do "view-clearings" over a twenty year period).

It would make far more sense to require the retaining of say, twelve basal inches of trees for every 100' of shoreline owned. (Including re-planting if necessary.)

Depending on the expense of this guy's house, a $40,000 may just be "the cost of doing business" at Lake Winnipesaukee's lakeshore.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Question A link to information

Does any one have a link to some easily readable information on this subject....anything I have found has been wordy and I need to do some try work on my property........
Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
Rayhunt

Default Trees vs clearcut

Ive been to many different homes and lots around the lake and I far prefer nicely pruned trees to sun baked lawn any day of the week.. Some grass is nice , a place to play sports etc. But trees create a unique panorama of the lake and hills.
Attached Images

Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
meteotrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
Does any one have a link to some easily readable information on this subject....anything I have found has been wordy and I need to do some try work on my property........
Here ya go... http://www.des.state.nh.us/cspa/483b.HTM

Its a pretty sad testament to the world we live in that someone's living room view is paramount to the health of their surrounding ecosystem. Rayhunt and the proliferation of weekend warriors who find clever ways to circumvent the laws designed to protect the lakes will ultimately lead to the demise of the lakes. There are about 50 good reasons why you shouldn't clear cut to the water, plant grass or dump sand, all of which are dismissed by your average bone headed mcmansion owner.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
Paugus Bay Resident

APS
Quote:
The guy could have avoided the fines if he had done what a savvy realtor did near me while building a new house:
Realtor is not a generic term. Are you sure this person is was a member of the NAR? If not, those of us who are would appreciate not using the term loosely.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #9
ApS

Unhappy Why WE Are Not Getting Rich...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin
The guy in VT that cut trees adjacent to VT waters was just fined $108,000.
http://www.reformer.com/region/ci_4007021
Several homeowners that abutted state property that I used to manage were caught cutting boundary trees, moving state bounds, building on state property.
How about a $500,000 fine?

A 9th District Federal Appeals Judge was fined that amount for cutting an acre of trees that obstructed his view though they were in a State-owned park. It appears he had done the same thing 25 years ago, though he had received a permit to cut trees in the same public park.

While he's paid back a portion of the fine, he has taken his Homeowners Insurance to court because they won't pay the balance!

With the grand new view provided by the illegal cutting, his home's value increased more than the $500,000 fine.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
Here is a link to the section of the Shoreland Protection Act which should be of help.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...-B/483-B-9.htm
Old 07-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
JDeere

Default 40k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
Im not completely against regulation but 40K for some trees is insane
Well I have to agree with Rayhunt on this one! 40K is insane it should have been MUCH higher to send a clear message to the yahoos that scoff at the law that the pain will outwiegh the gain!!!
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #12
MovieStar

Default Quick question

Were the trees this guy cut on his own property? If they weren't I can totally understand the fine, but if not that just doesn't seem right. Just curious. Thanks!
MovieStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #13
Commodore

Unhappy Often cheaper to avoid the regulations

Unfortunately some people believe that it is cheaper not to comply with rules and regulations. They believe that there is a slim chance that they will get caught. If they do, the fine is usually less costly than if they followed proper procedures. A $500,000 fine should get someones attention but that is not the norm.

Look at the safe boating education requirement. It is not a primary enforcement issue. They can not stop you just to check for a certificate. If you get caught without one it's a $50 fine the first time. For some it is well worth the gamble that they won't get caught. If they do get caught the fine is less than a tank of gas for their boat. Something is wrong with that kind of system.

How many lakefront landowners make changes without following the rules and get away with it? Too many.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Problem is......

Well in my mind one of the issues here is that there are two many regulations to keep track of........I try my best to do what I can to obey the law.....but it seems everytime I feel like I have the right to do something I find some hidden law somewhere that says I can't or I have to have a permit.....Not that I think some regulation isn't warranted but If I want to take a tree or two down I shouldn't be scared to death to do it. Should someone be able to clear cut a lot no......but should your average homeowner have to think twice about taking a tree or two absolutly not......
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #15
Cow Man

Default Log on

This thread isn’t as active as I would have thought. My feeling is that tree pruning and or thinning that does not affect the shoreline on property you own and pay taxes on should be perfectly OK. In fact, nature has a way of dealing with wilderness pruning or thinning called forest fires.
Here on the lake and particularly on these huge hunks of granite ledge we call islands there is another problem for property owners, wind. Nature has blown over more (and bigger) trees than I have ever cut because of the shallow root system.
However, cutting down a perfectly good tree makes no sense and clear cutting to the lake, putting in lawns, etc., makes the view from the lake obscene – who wants to come to the lake and mow a lawn anyway?
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote