Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Gunstock Mtn ?

Does anyone know the actual legal recorded name for 'Gunstock Mtn' ?

I know it is part of the Belknap mountain range, but never knew if Gunstock Mtn (ski area), has an actual name recorded either by the State, County or Fed Govt. GSA agency?

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
fltsimguy

I think it's just Gunstock Mountain.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...09863&t=p&z=14
fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
bigdog

Default Gunstock Mtn ?

Did some research, and found in the following link for Belknap Mountain,
it actually refers to 'Gunstock' mountain, as part of the Belknap Mtn range.
So I guess that's the official mountain name.

Belknap Mountain
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Belknap_Mountain
FYI.... Belknap Mtn was Named after Jeremy Belknap (1744–1798), a renowned preacher, historian, and author,of The History of New Hampshire.

Gunstock Mtn - Wikipedia
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Gunstock_Mountain

FYI - List of mountains of New Hampshire ( listed by height)
http://www.ask.com/wiki/List_of_moun...hire?qsrc=3044
Who knew there were so many !

BD
Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
KBoater

Default names

The ski area was called Belnap in my youth. It was then change to Gunstock. Anyone remember when this happend and why?
Did they move the area to another peak?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
RailroadJoe

I believe Belknap was the old ski area where the ski jumps are. They even closed the road off, except when they were rebuilding the bridge into Gunstock.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
I believe Belknap was the old ski area where the ski jumps are. They even closed the road off, except when they were rebuilding the bridge into Gunstock.
Railroad Joe: I think it was actually Mt. Rowe, not Belknap. See.....
http://www.nelsap.org/nh/mountrowe.html
but the confusion arises because it was known as the Belknap Mountain Recreation area but was actually originally on Mt. Rowe. In the postcard below Gunstock is on the left and Mt. Rowe is on the right.

"
Anyone who has skiied Gunstock can recognize the basic configuration of the trail map. It has been much improved and expanded and the new quad lift brings you to the top in seven minutes! "Recreational area near Laconia, NH. Showing chair lift on Rowe Mt. (3,200 ft) in center and ski trails with 4 ski jumps 10- 20 - 40 - 65 meter; with 5 meter ski jump at right. Lake Winnipesaukee is background."

Phelps Slope, Belknap Mts., Recreation Area, Gilford, NH. "One of the most popular of the several ski slopes at the million dollar Belknap Mts. Recreation Area which is less than 100 miles from Boston and 7 miles from Laconia, NH on Route 11A".

From the gunstock website, "

Gunstock wasn't always about snow, lights, lifts and action. It took the vision of the Belknap County Legislators in 1935 to propose the "Belknap Mountain Recreation Area."

On the heels of the Great Depression, Belknap Mountain was born of the WPA's (Works Progress Administration) New Deal program created during President FDR's administration.

The project took three years to complete and employed 300 local workers. Amenities included ski trails, a single chairlift (one of only three in the east), rope tows, cross country trails, toboggan runs, sliding hills, a ski jumping complex, a campground, picnic area, base pond, nature trails and a base lodge and smaller buildings build to timber cut and stone quarried on-site.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
bigdog (03-10-2011), Grant (03-10-2011), Jonas Pilot (03-10-2011), Overlake97 (08-29-2013), RailroadJoe (03-10-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (03-10-2011), SteveA (03-11-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
bigdog

Default Gunstock Mtn ?

Mcdude,

Thank you SO much for all the historical info., much apprecaited!

Although, I never skied Gunstock as a youth, I do remember it being called Belknap Mtn Recreational area.

Now that I am a resident of Gilford (one whole year ! ), I have been skiing Gunstock and thouroughly enjoying the friendly atmosphere. I know the County owns and runs Gunstock ski area, and hope they continue to make improvements, but keep the small mtn. charm!

BD
Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Grant

Speaking of Gunstock, this was in today's Citizen.

Gunstock honors skiing history
Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
KBoater

Default Thanks McDude

I know McDude would have the answer.
I can remember watching a major ski jumping composition there with my family.
I also skied from the lift. I guess I'm showing my age.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
fmgate

To shed light on the acutal legal recorded name of Gunstock, you might want to start with the website maintained by the US Board of Geographic names. Do a domestic search on the feature name "Gunstock".

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispub...57992::NO:RP::

There are some pdf files of old citation cards and decision cards used by the USGS to justify placenames. It is interesting to read those. One of the decision cards defines the Belknap Range as being only 3 mountains, with Gunstock being the most northerly one, Belknap in the middle, and Whiteface to the south.

It seems that to get something named "officially" requires going through the US Board of Geographic Names. This is briefly discussed in this article on the movement to change the name of Mt. Clay to Mt. Reagan up in the Whites.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...feats_of_clay/
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Ironfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Railroad Joe: I think it was actually Mt. Rowe, not Belknap.
Mcdude,

I'm not sure about the specific names of the mountains, but I don't think the postcard photo shows any of what was the "Mt Rowe Ski Area".

I was a 1st grader when my family moved to the Lakes Region in the early 70's. I first learned to ski at "Mt Rowe Ski Area". None of the Mt Rowe ski area trails (of the early 70's) are shown on this photograph. The straight line path going to the right on the photo was a single chair chairlift, which was part of the Gunstock Ski Area. The winding trail to the right was called "Try Me", and was still open in the early 70's. The trail to the right of "Try Me", was closed in the early 70's, but I can recall skiing that (ungroomed) trail to get to the ski jump competitions that were still taking place at the time. If I recall correctly, the single chair lift was discontinued when Gunstock made "improvements" in the late 70's or early 80's. It never made sense to me (even as a kid) that Gunstock stopped using that part of the ski area.

I'd love to hear from somebody that has more history of the mountain. It goes back way before my time, and it would be nice to have a "year by year" historical summary. (Would even make for a nice addition to the current Gunstock website!)
Ironfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Ironfish

Just found a great link to Gunstock as I remember it, as a kid.

http://teachski.com/brochures/gunstock/gunstock.htm

The "closed trail" tht led to the jumps was called "Fletcher's Hale" .... brings back memories!
Ironfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironfish For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (08-29-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (03-11-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
trfour

Default Gunstock Mountain Is Awesome!!!!...

We are all so very lucky to get to enjoy our many great Mountains here in the Lakes Region... " Noth'in Like it"!!!!
Now, not to date myself over here, I was on a pair of wooden ski's in my former days, late one evening when the left one broke sending me off the beaten path, ( so to speak ) where I got cut up pretty good from the frozen ice layer on top of the snow in the outer perimeters.

Did I survive, Absotoothly!! ... and maybe with a few other ( nuts and bolts loose ), as well.
So, here I am further enjoying the Belknaps on a special afternoon with a view of a snow-sun-bow.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...9353&ppuser=83

T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
mcdude

Here's a link to our forum friend, Boardwalk Bluesboy's website
http://www.weirsbeach.com/newmedia/12views/view11.html
Lots of interesting pics of Mt. Rowe, Gunstock and the Belknap Mountain Recreation area. (even some pics of old bikers at the hill climb!) He also seems to think that Mt. Rowe was pictured on this card.....but....what do I know???

Boardwalk Bluesboy seems to indicate that the Mt. Rowe area was incorporated into the Gunstock Ski area at some point;
"Gunstock trail map, in 1964, after the first double chair lift to the top of Gunstock had been built. A second double chairlift was added later to run alongside the first. The Rowe Mountain lift and trail complex were still a big part of the overall ski area. In 1986 a major reconstruction project changed the feel of the mountain, quite detrimentally in the opinon of the webmaster. Newer, less challenging trails and shorter lifts were added, while some challenging trails and longer lifts were removed. Notably, the two main double chairlifts to the top of the mountain were both removed and the middle part of the Ramrod trail which had ran underneath the main chairlifts was closed permanently. Much later, a new express quad chairlift to the top of the mountain was added to the left side of the Smith slope."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Hezman (03-16-2011), Overlake97 (08-29-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Right you are Dude. We have hiked up Mt Rowe several times taking the path shown (I think) as the TRY-ME Trail which is now the access route to the cell tower. Also the old Rowe single chair lift line is still open as can be seen on Google Maps satellite views.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
bclaker

Historic Highlights" for Gilford Steamer’s 10 June 2004 issue

It’s time to celebrate "Founders Day"

It’s mid-June, time for Gilfordites to think about celebrating "Founders Day."

"Who exactly were the ‘founders’?" people often ask.

There’s no simple answer to that question.

If we can rely on legend, one name could be Greene Chase.

To learn about this legend, we turn to Adair Mulligan’s words in The Gunstock Parish: A History of Gilford, New Hampshire.

Greene Chase and two companions came up from lower Gilmanton to hunt cougar in what later came to be called Gunstock Mountain. They found tracks of a very large cat near the foot of the mountain. Chase, husky and a good woodsman, "...had just broken his snowshoe when the animal appeared suddenly on an overhanging ledge just above his head, whereupon his two companions fled with their dog. As Chase raised his musket to fire, the hammer of the gun broke. He quickly shifted ends of the gun and struck the cat a heavy blow, killing it and breaking the gun stock. As he proceeded to skin the creature, the others returned and offered help, which he rejected. Word got around when people asked Chase where he had killed such a large catamount. Emboldened by his success, Chase soon moved to catamount country and erected a homestead at the top of (what came to be called) Belknap Mountain Road."

This legend lends credence to the source of the name for both "Gunstock Mountain" and "Gunstock Brook" as well as for "Gunstock Parish" and, later, "Gunstock Village" and paints a picture of the kind of person who may have gravitated to and settled in the rustic environs of our historic area in the 1700s when the dangers of attack by natives kept many a more cautious folk content to live within the more protected "Lower Parish" of Gilmanton.

People attracted to Gunstock Parish’s better soils and water power include Samuel Gilman, John Bennett, Jr., James Ames, John Edgerly, Lowell Sanborn, Thomas Frohock, Samuel Jewett, and Samuel Ladd ——all names of potential Founders, as are the names of people associated with the 1794 era of Meetinghouse Hill —- with the list extending to include Daniel Stevens, Benjamin Jewett, William Sibley, and Elder Martin.

Or, to look at the picture more narrowly, perhaps Gilford’s Founders are only those people whose names are associated with the 1812 Incorporation of Gilford as a town -- a climax of an effort that dates back to its origin in 1792 when people living in Gunstock Parish not only did not relish sending tax money to a distant governing body but also found it difficult if not impossible to attend town meetings in Gilmanton when the five- to twenty-mile trip over bad roads could take hours of difficult travel each way.

On June 16, 1812, the part of Gilmanton called Gunstock Parish was disannexed and, according to Adair Mulligan’s words in The Gun— stock Parish: A History of Gilford, New Hamspshire, "...the citizens of the nascent town turned ... to the most battle-weary of their brethren, Lieutenant Lemuel Mason, who was actively pushing for the towns s incorporation as representative to the state legislature" to select a name for their new town. Mason proposed to name the town after a decisive battle in the Revolutionary War, the 1781 Revolutionary War battle of Guilford Court House in North Carolina. In the end, an untraceable error gave our town’s name the unique spelling of "Gilford".

June 16 is recognized as "Founders Day" in Gilford. Annually Founders Day provides an opportunity for us to look back on and appreciate our town’s history.

Founders Day has been celebrated in several ways during recent years.

The result of one effort can be found at ges.gilford.k12.nh.us, Gilford Elementary School’s website. Teacher Otis Wirth and his third-grade students created this "Pictorial Walking Tour of Gilford Village", based on A Walking Tour published by the Gilford Historic District Commission in the year 1990, reprinted in 1991.

A year ago students in the class of Sixth-Grade Language Arts Teacher Michelle Demers, in conjunction with Co—Seed, created a Quest activity, similar to an historical scavenger hunt, which they shared with third—grade students as a culmination of grade three social studies curriculum that focuses on the history of Gilford.

This year Thompson-Ames Historical Society President Joan Nelson and Co-Seed Facilitator Alan McIntyre, of the Prescott Farm Audubon Society, have jointly created a "2004 Founders Day Quest" that will be available for use on Saturday, June 12 and Saturday, June 19. It is designed as a small pamphlet with map and poetic clues to act as a guide for a group of up to four people, including at least one adult, to follow while walking in Gilford’s historic district, starting in the Town Hall parking lot at the location of the Tannery Hill Bridge.

The Library’s Saturday hours of 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. will facilitate one of the "Quest" stops while Thompson-Ames Historical Society will hold a 10:00 a.m. — 4:00 p.m. "Open House" on both Saturdays at the Grange Museum Building, the Union Meetinghouse, and the Benjamin Rowe House to provide access for other "Quest" stops.

It is anticipated that this 2004 Quest will take about two hours to complete but the activities can be broken down to be done over a period of more than one day.

Although the "2004 Founders Day Quest" is a perfect follow-up to the Grade Three May and June field trips that have been taking place at the three vintage buildings where Gilford’s historical society maintains displays, this activity is also enjoyable and suitable for all school—age youngsters as well as adults.

To reserve a copy of the "2004 Founders Day Quest", telephone 527-9009 and leave your name and telephone number.

It is hoped that a Quest-type scavenger hunt will become an annual way of celebrating "Founders Day’ in Gilford.

This Quest activity and the six-hour Open House opportunities at the three vintage buildings in Gilford’s historic district are free and open to the general public.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bclaker For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Thanks BCLaker!

The Gunstock Parish, by Adair Mulligan is my favorite history book on the lake. There is a wealth of information inside. I just wish she wrote books for each town around the lake to make a complete set!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow The Gunstock Parish

The price for this book on Amazon is crazy and it is not available for Kindle. I picked up my copy while visiting The Belknap Mill. Local bookstores should carry it or you can get it right from The Thompson Ames Historical Society in Gilford for $35.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post

People attracted to Gunstock Parish’s better soils and water power include Samuel Gilman, John Bennett, Jr., James Ames, John Edgerly, Lowell Sanborn, Thomas Frohock, Samuel Jewett, and Samuel Ladd ——all names of potential Founders, as are the names of people associated with the 1794 era of Meetinghouse Hill —- with the list extending to include Daniel Stevens, Benjamin Jewett, William Sibley, and Elder Martin.

Frohock Brook is the main water source for Hills Pond and Sunset Lake which straddles the town line of Alton and Gilmanton. Here's a photo

Thomas Frohock b. Sept. 1, 1749 in England was pressed into the English service when he was 17 years of age. Once he reached America, he deserted, and joined up with George Washington's army. For all his assistance, etc, he was given a large tract of land in Meredith, New Hampshire, where he married Catherine Kelley, and raised 15 children. Three of his sons emigrated to the Waldo County area in the early 1800s.

Quote:
Thomas Frohock was born 17 July 1785 in Glimanton, NH. His parents were Thomas and Catherine (Kelley) Frohock.

Quote:
Thomas Frohock was pressed into service in the British Army during the Revolutionary War, but soon deserted and joined the Continental Army. For his services, he was granted land in New Hampshire, where he settled and raised a family. His two sons, Solomon and Thomas, moved to Maine and settled in Searsmont. During the War of 1812, the two brothers defended the town against British soldiers and were driven back. Thomas Frohock, the younger brother, then moved to Lincolnville and ran a farm on Frohock Brook, which runs between Frohock Mountain and Pendleton Hill.
Quote:

Thomas Frohock was one of twenty men under command of Capt. John Moody who joined Washington’s Army and marched to New York—was in service at this time 3 months and 8 days.
Thomas Frohock was one of the soldiers who marched from Maine to Canada in the winter season subjected to every exposure and privation which a soldier could endure in Col. Benedict Arnold’s Detachment.

Thomas Frohock was one of the soldiers in Lieutenant Eastman’s Detachment sent to throw up entrenchments on Breeds Hill the night before the battle. Here the men entered upon the work with great energy. The rule adopted was, that there should be a relief every two hours, but Frohock was one of those who refused the relief and continued digging until the dawn of day, when the redoubt was completed.
Thomas Frohock, age 26 of Gilmanton, N.H., laborer, late Reg. 7th. Starks Co. 6th, private, received 2 months wages, £4.

Thomas Frohock in Pay Roll of Capt, Dearborn’s Co. Col. Arnold’s Detachment for Canada, Sept 1, 1775. 3 mos, 23 days, wages per mo £2. Amount £7-10-8. Coat and blanket 1-16. miles travel @ 1d. whole amount 9-12-11. He was also given a large tract of land in Meredith, New Hampshire. Here he married Katherine Kelley. Three of their sons moved to the Waldo County, Maine area in the early 1800's
Thomas died in 1805 and appears to have been buried in Gilmanton, New Hampshire: Frohock, Thomas – McCoy Cemetery, Old Lakeshore Road, Old Gilmanton, Gilford , N.H. 28. Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots, vol. 2, p. Serial: 8985; Volume: 2. – Check Gilford Library, 2 Belknap County Road; Meredith Public Library. -- On the other hand, Millard Frohock Jr. was told in 1986 by a Gilmanton local historian that all of the old graves in the area had been recorded, and there was no record of Thomas or Catherine. Others have said they were buried in Lincolnville but have not seen their graves.
Quote:
Thomas Frohock married Catherine (or Kate) Kelley (or Kelly) (b. May 1760 at Epping, Rockingham, New Hampshire; d. January 25, 1845, Gilford, Belknap, New Hampshire.) Catherine was reportedly a strong woman who peeled potatoes with her fingernails. [Hot or cold?] They had 14 or 15 children.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

McDude, not to change the subject, but I guess I am for a minute. Have you ever heard of a Camp Bueno in North Sutton, NH? I have about 30 postcards from there but have never heard of it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
mcdude

sorry, tis.....me neither. Where the heck is No. Sutton anyway?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
tis

I don't know?? SW part of the state maybe?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
tis

North Sutton is an unincorporated community in the town of Sutton in Merrimack County, New Hampshire. It is located at the eastern end of Kezar Lake, adjacent to Wadleigh State Park.

New Hampshire Route 114 passes through the village, leading north to New London and south to Sutton Village, South Sutton, and Bradford. Interstate 89 passes just east of the village, which can be accessed from Exit 10.

North Sutton has a separate ZIP code (03260) from other parts of the town of Sutton.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
North Sutton is an unincorporated community in the town of Sutton in Merrimack County, New Hampshire. It is located at the eastern end of Kezar Lake, adjacent to Wadleigh State Park.

New Hampshire Route 114 passes through the village, leading north to New London and south to Sutton Village, South Sutton, and Bradford. Interstate 89 passes just east of the village, which can be accessed from Exit 10.

North Sutton has a separate ZIP code (03260) from other parts of the town of Sutton.
Tis, any idea on the date range for the camp from the cards. I live 10 min from North Sutton and work with many people in the New London area that have family ties to the area going back to incorporation of these towns.

Sutton has 3 different zip codes that I am aware of.

To keep from further derailing this interesting thread, email me through the pm system.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
tis

OK. They are 1930. I will pm you though.