Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Frank

Default Question: swim dock and lines in the water

We have a swim raft and a trampoline, both about 50' out from our main dock. Sometimes we see a boat or a PWC go between our dock and the two outlying platforms... a dangerous thing to do in my opinion, but I suppose as long as they are going headway speed and there are no swimmers there, they aren't breaking any laws. But, here is my question: my kids sometimes run a line from the dock out to the tramp or the swim raft. They use it to pull themselves out there while on a float or kayak. And, being kids, they don't always put the line away. If a boat should cruise in close to my dock and suck that line up into its prop, am I responsible for the damage to the boat?

Thanks,
Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
wildwoodfam

Default In my humble opinion ...

There would be relatively little damage doen to the prop - especially if they are going at headway...the line would twist and cut the engine pretty quickly - and the biggest pain would be untangling the line. That said - as a common sense boater (and as time goes on there appear to be fewer of us on the lake) I would never go that close to a float with kids on it - headway or not....unless I was coming in to dock at my own house. The spread between your dock and float sounds normal and boaters shouldn't be weaving about that close to the shore line. BUT - thta said and the fcat that many boaters do weave about that close to shore - if your kids were out on the float and noticed some moron coming in between they'd serve themselves and the boater to alert them to the line. I would liken the float to a skier - you'd never cut the line between skier/tuber and boat - wo why cut the distance between float and dock/beach? Again - just one mans opinion....
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
John A. Birdsall

Default spring line/pulley system

We used to keep our boat on a spring line between the mooring and the boat house. I am under the understanding that that is now illegal. But let me tell you we rented a jet ski and went water sking. I backed up over the line and it got sucked in. It was a royal pain to get freed. 90% of that line I think was around the shaft. That being said I would think it would at the same time cause damage to the trampaline.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Coolbreeze

Well it seems that you have made notice to a safety problem you created. It would be sensible to correct it before it becomes a acciden and the question of who is at fault comes up. I'm sure that line isn't worth your time defending yourself in court, god forbid something happens.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze
Well it seems that you have made notice to a safety problem you created. It would be sensible to correct it before it becomes a acciden and the question of who is at fault comes up. I'm sure that line isn't worth your time defending yourself in court, god forbid something happens.
Oh, I always tell them to bring the line in when they are done... I was just wondering if something did happen, whether I'd be responsible. We're not using the line to fish for props .
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
RumGuy

Default Brave

I would think the boaters must be fairly brave (or foolish) to operate in an area so close to shore, and obviously prone to swimmers.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
Coolbreeze

Most experienced lake boaters have some sense not to boat too close to moorings, floats etc without a bow spotter for such hazzards. My concern would be for the new boater/sightseer who really doesn't know the lake to run into a underwater line and generally these are the people who may hold you responsible for damages to their props if any is caused. My only first hand experience is/was, if I hit it, its my fault because I wasn't cautious enough, therefore I pay for the repairs to save the embarrassment.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Frank

It happens rarely, and, yes, when I've seen it happen, it has almost always been someone young on a PWC or someone driving a rental boat. I've never seen a 38' Baja drive in there .

The only exception to the "young and/or inexperienced" is the guys who are bass fishing that come through slowly. We have had some good size smallmouth taken right off our dock. The fishermen go very slow of course, and they are looking around for swimmers and obstacles, so no problem as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
camp guy

Default Dock and swim lines

This would be a good question for the MP to respond to, or a lawyer versed in marine (lake) law. It has always been my 'understanding' that no person can put an obstruction in an otherwise open area of passage without providing some form of notice, ie, lights. If the obstruction (mooring, etc.) is within 150' then boats should be at headway speed and be able to avoid the obstruction; however, if the obstruction was a rope partially below the surface between two points, and the below the surface part was in the otherwise public passage area, then a problem might occur if someone went through there and sustained damage. Probably best to try and not have this situation happen at all, it could clearly louse up an otherwise fun vacation time.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I always wondered when someone drops a ski while waterskiing, if another boat doesn't see it and hits it, who is responsible? Does the skiing boat have to repair any damage to the boat that hits the ski or does the boat that hits the ski have to buy a new ski for the skiier?????
tis is offline   Reply With Quote