Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
lawn psycho

Default Truck Tow Rating Standards

After doing some reading on truck tow ratings, I just found out that a new standard was created a couple years ago, SAE J2807 that is supposed to normalize the ratings across manufacturers.

As has been said many times, in most practical situations you realistically could only use 70-80% of the manufacturers tow ratinsg and still have a decent handling vehicle. This proves it.

Example: My 2009 F-150 super crew was rated at 11,300 pouunds of towing. The F-150 today with a more powerful engine is rated at 10000 pounds. And ALL the manufacturers played loose with how they came up with their tow rating.

Here's a good article I found that explains it:

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ss_sniff_test/
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Fargo

Default Geese

We tried a bunch of things the last couple years to keep them away, nothing worked. Two weeks ago I went to Lowes and bought green snow fence. We now have 300 ft of fence along the beach and out around the dock. I cut the fencing down to 18". Seems to be working. I'll lower it as the lake level drops.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Well 10,000 lbs will haul a lot of geese.

Correct about the new ratings which we were aware of 6 months ago when we got our new Tundra with the 5.7 liter engine and towing package. The configuration that we have is rated at 9,800 lbs using the new standards. That gives a lot of margin towing a 6,000 lb horse trailer and with the new standard confidant that we could handle more. Not that I want to let the wife know that the truck could handle more than the two horses that she has now.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Thats funny.How do you get that post into the wrong thread?
LostInNH (07-06-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
XCR-700

Thumbs up

Interesting and a step in the right direction for sure, but in my experience you cannot capture on paper the experience of towing with a specific combination and under your road conditions and they vary so much that you dont know what you got until you use it.

I am often surprised to drive a tow rig that someone else said was great only to totally dislike it myself.

That said I am super fussy to have a very sure-footed tow vehicle with enough low end torque to pull the side off the house and drag it up hill!

There is nothing more unnerving than having a tow vehicle feeling like the trailer is in control and driving with a death grip the whole way. It makes for a very long ride,,,

And the second most annoying thing for me is a lack of "useful" power, and by that I'm thinking like when you pull onto either end of the Laconia By-Pass and you have say 5000Lbs behind you, thats when you need to be able to get up to speed and do so with authority, not a lot of loud varoom but going nowhere. Far too many of the new trucks have a power curve that is more geared toward high speed passing with no trailer, something I have no use for in a truck.

Low end grunt, mid-speed (30 - 60 MPH) passing power, and a ride that feels like you are in full control of the trailer are the tickets to a sucessful tow vehicle. But they also have to match what you are towing and where, and if you have a trailer that gets blown around by side-winds, or is super short or long or high or whatever, well that all impacts the quality of your experience towing and that is hard to capture on paper.

Still good to see something more tangable than the generic total towing limits.

Thanks for sharing!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links