Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
jt3kids

Default weirs docking

Hey all. First time up here with family. On Gov's Island. Can anyone tell me the best place to dock for a few hours tonight at Weirs? I have a small 17'. Do I have to call ahead? fees? Thanks for any advice - Jim
jt3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Free Docking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt3kids View Post
Hey all. First time up here with family. On Gov's Island. Can anyone tell me the best place to dock for a few hours tonight at Weirs? I have a small 17'. Do I have to call ahead? fees? Thanks for any advice - Jim
There are public docks at the weirs and plenty of them free of charge! You can't miss them right in front of the main boulevard.

Enjoy!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Jonas Pilot

With a small boat like that I would go inside towards the shore. Go to the left of the docks and take a right before you run aground. You can even go under the foot bridge and dock there. Now that I said that, I haven't been over to the Weir's since the washout. Did they have to reconfigure anything when they repaired the damage?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
jt3kids

Default dock

this is my first time, so I wouldn't know. Thanks for all the advice. Such a novice question I know, but I'm getting there thanks
jt3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
diz

Default Footbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
With a small boat like that I would go inside towards the shore. Go to the left of the docks and take a right before you run aground. You can even go under the foot bridge and dock there. Now that I said that, I haven't been over to the Weir's since the washout. Did they have to reconfigure anything when they repaired the damage?
I think this year they have the swim rope tied off so that you can't go back there. At least it was that way over the weekend.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
I think this year they have the swim rope tied off so that you can't go back there. At least it was that way over the weekend.
The swim line used to be about 50 yards to the left. Maybe even 80.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
jrc

They usually put the swim line to block the back docks during bike week. Then they move it back to allow access. I have been over there since bike week, maybe they forgot this year.

The dock there are free like all public docks on Winni. You can park where the mount of the two smaller tour boats park, but those spots are obvious. You also can,t park on the far left dock, on side with the drop off signs.

Anywhere else is fair game, first come, first served, no dock master. Watch out it can get rough in there from boat wakes, bring fenders. Also some of the posts are broken.

If you park at the longer docks you can sometimes get blocked in, so if you have a choice pick the shorter ones near the mount's dock. The back docks are great but shallow, pretty much all sand.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
They usually put the swim line to block the back docks during bike week. Then they move it back to allow access. I have been over there since bike week, maybe they forgot this year.

The dock there are free like all public docks on Winni. You can park where the mount of the two smaller tour boats park, but those spots are obvious. You also can,t park on the far left dock, on side with the drop off signs.

Anywhere else is fair game, first come, first served, no dock master. Watch out it can get rough in there from boat wakes, bring fenders. Also some of the posts are broken.

If you park at the longer docks you can sometimes get blocked in, so if you have a choice pick the shorter ones near the mount's dock. The back docks are great but shallow, pretty much all sand.
Be careful of the broken posts, they have bolts sticking out that will ruin your day. I find putting bumpers on the post help well as Weirs will get very rough.

In my opinion those docks stink, too narrow. You can get stuck for hours if you're on the inside. I was impressed with the Wolfeboro docks this past weekend.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
jrc

My rating of public docks:

Wolfeboro- good condition, just wide enough for day boats, always too crowded. Only go on rainy Tuesdays or with a small boat and wait.

Center harbor- good condition, only a few docks, only a few things to do

Weirs see last post, only a few places for adults to visit, arcade for the kids

Alton- two wide finger docks, about a dozen, never a worry about fit, have to back in long boats, only a few things to do.

Meredith- the gold standard, unless there is a crap show, chowder fest or antique boat show, then too crowded.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote