Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
HomeWood

Default The 150' rule..is it just me?

I find myself to be somewhat over cautious with the 150' rule. If I get within about 3 ski rope lengths, I throttle down. Usually not to a no wake speed, but at least a very noticable reduction in speed (coming off plane completely). I rarely see anybody return the favor, if you will. Our place is in Moultonborough neck and our boat rides are usually between Long island and Greens basin. There are several spots where you have to get within 150' and even on a somewhat busy day, it seems I am constantly needing to come off the throttle because of the 150' rule. I feel I'm getting in the way of everybody else. I watch the boats go by while sitting on the porch or beach and rarely do the boats pass each other under 20 or 30 mph.

Am I the one who isn't getting it or is it the other captains?
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default I see it all the time

Not just the Green's Basin to Moultonboro Neck narrow but the last bouy going into Alton Bay, between Treasure and Pig Island etc. Not just the big lake, I see this on other lakes as well as Merrimac River and Great Bay. I am confuse why the marine patrol does not enforce passage yet they are strict when it comes to passing within 150' of a marine patrol boat!

Last edited by BroadHopper; 05-25-2012 at 07:01 AM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I agree. I hate when someone comes flying by and you break your plane to slow down but they keep going even though they were the ones that came too close to you!!!! (Long sentence )
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default 150' rule

The 150 foot rule is the most violated rule all over the lake.
The next thing is standing down to the vessel that has the right of way. It almost never happens.
The funny thing is that 90% of the issues brought up during the speed limit debate were 150’ rule violations and had nothing to do with speed.
Nothing has changed on the lake other then the economy has driven boats off the lake which has been misinterpreted as the lakes gotten safer.
When the lake returns to the crowds of 7-10 years ago you will once again here the call for law changes.
BroadHopper (05-25-2012), Resident 2B (05-24-2012), WakeboardMom (05-25-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
COWISLANDDONZI

Common sense prevails……..

Stand-on vessel: The vessel that must maintain its course and speed unless it becomes apparent that the give-way vessel is not taking appropriate action. If you must take action, do not turn toward the give-way vessel or cross in front of it.

**If you approach a vessel that has less maneuverability than your vessel, the other vessel will usually be the stand-on vessel…***

AGREEE****4/14/10-posted on Winni Forum by Dave R: I know I don't mind passing closer than 150 feet in tight quarters like deep into Moultonborough Bay. It's pretty clear the boaters coming the other way don't mind either as neither of us drops off plane while keeping to the far right... It's the blatent infractions of a couple of boat lengths or less when I'm at headway speed or less, or complete disregard for give-way or stand-on rules that I find worrisome.

Stay your course n drive your boat…have a great weekend!
COWISLANDDONZI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COWISLANDDONZI For This Useful Post:
HomeWood (05-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWISLANDDONZI View Post
Common sense prevails……..
AGREEE****4/14/10-posted on Winni Forum by Dave R: I know I don't mind passing closer than 150 feet in tight quarters like deep into Moultonborough Bay. It's pretty clear the boaters coming the other way don't mind either as neither of us drops off plane while keeping to the far right... It's the blatent infractions of a couple of boat lengths or less when I'm at headway speed or less, or complete disregard for give-way or stand-on rules that I find worrisome.

Stay your course n drive your boat…have a great weekend!
This is wise advice. There are spots where it is a bit tight. In light traffic, if both pilots move to gain separation and maintain speed, its obvious that both accept bending the rules a bit. Obviously, boat size and type have to be taken into consideration. No harm, no foul.

The 150 rule is a bit of an anachronism, from a bygone era when boats were free to maintain safe passage at any speed. However, it makes the lake a more courteous place and is a good guideline.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
Jonas Pilot

What's your comfort zone as far as intruding on another boater's space? Personally I see no reason why I can't keep 300 or more feet away from most traffic most of the time.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Even the Marine Patrol violates the 150' rule. Seen it happen many times especially in the Moultonborough area. Lets be honest here...Sometimes the 150' rule can be a bit ridiculous.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
codeman671

I plan on violating the 150' rule this weekend. I plan on never being further than 150' from my grill and my drink.

In most other places, the 150' rule is unheard of. Personally I like it and obey it.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
jrc

Sometimes you have to break the rule. Say I just came out of the Weirs channel and behind me is a boat 20' away. We are both heading on the same course at the same no wake speed, I can never speed up. There will never be 150' between us.

But if we start bending the rule in high speed crossing, passing or overtaking, we really start gutting the rule's real purpose. I remember people would always go through the graveyard on full plane even when another boat was coming. It doesn't look wide enough but people would always do it.

I don't go up there that often, do they go through on plane? How wide is it, how wide is wide enough?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Even the Marine Patrol violates the 150' rule. Seen it happen many times especially in the Moultonborough area. Lets be honest here...Sometimes the 150' rule can be a bit ridiculous.

Dan
As can other rules/laws.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Sometimes you have to break the rule. Say I just came out of the Weirs channel and behind me is a boat 20' away. We are both heading on the same course at the same no wake speed, I can never speed up. There will never be 150' between us.
Not so, just change course temporarily.

I think the big problem with the 150ft rule is Marine patrol just doesn't have enough resources to enforce it. I see them nab plenty of people for it but there are just so many violations and they are so thin. Sometimes I think it is almost a little much the 150ft rule but I do my best to observe it. The guys that really piss me off are the guys that fly be at 50ft while I am trolling in the broads. They got the whole broads area to deal with and they got get within 50 feet of a guy fishing. That makes no sense.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Lets be honest here...Sometimes the 150' rule can be a bit ridiculous.

Dan
I'll X2 on that one!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-29-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

jrc hits the nail on the head. There are times when 150 ft needs to be ignored. Leaving the long line of boats coming out of the channel is one of them. There is nothing wrong with with throttling up with another boat on your butt to create the proper spacing. The Marine Patrol spends a lot of time right there monitoring boat traffic and I have never seen them chase anybody down for this practice.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
HomeWood

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes I feel like that person in the left lane barely doing the speed limit. I guess I'll relax a bit.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote