Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
Woodsy

Default No More Roof Jumping on Bear Island

Apparently you folks over on Bear Island are out of control....

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...032/-1/CITIZEN

Its a shame that yet another summer tradition will/has fallen victim to an extremely litigious society.....

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
jkjoshuatree

Unhappy Bear Island Mail Dock Jumping...

I've been doing this for over 25 years and so has everyone in my family (Dad included). Over the past 2 years I've been introducing the "roof" to my girlfriend's three kids. They love it (youngest is 8).

I agree with the article. It can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I saw a bunch of "weekend warriors" docked at the maildock and the way they were jumping off the roof was horrifying. I couldn't even watch. I just kept going. I've also seen teenagers jumping from the roof OVER the maildock rather than off the northern tip of the roof, which is the closest to the water.

Being a Bear Island resident, it saddens me it has come to this. I understand that the town owns it though, and they could be liable.

I was just hoping to take my kids (none of my own yet) to the roof for a jump. Its been a tradition for as long as I can remember.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
KonaChick

The tradition of jumping after the mailboat leaves isn't from the roof but from the pilons on the dock. We always manage to make it over to Bear Is. a few times each summer to catch the mailboat for ice-cream and watch the kids jump. It's something my kiddos will always remember.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
PROPELLER

I saw this on numerous occasions while on vacation a couple weeks ago. And the kids were not jumping from the pilons, they were jumping from the roof.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Zee

I think we should get rid of the litigious loving lawyers and let Darwin's theory take care of those that risk their lives. We don't need more laws to protect those that do harm to themselves, we do indeed need more common sense.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Bear Islander

There is a long standing tradition of children, and sometimes adults, jumping off of the Mail Dock pilings as the Mail Boat leaves. A color picture of this was on the front page of the Boston Globe several years ago.

Jumping off the Post Office roof has also been done for at least the 22 years I have been there. However it is getting to be a problem. Boats stop at the Mail Dock all hours of the day so their teenagers can jump off the roof. What was five or ten jumps per day is now in the hundreds. We even have the problem of night beer parties on the roof with cans left on the Mail Dock.

The foot traffic and process of climbing onto the roof is cracking and dislodging roof shingles and the roof is now leaking.

The Post Office is a historic building that needs to be protected.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
KonaChick

propeller I was referring specifically to the part in the article when they said kids jump off the mail roof dock after the mail boat leaves. I've never seen that before...but I have seen kids jumping off the dock pilons after the mail boat leaves lots of time. I'm sure however people jump off the mail roof at all times..I've only witnessed the tradition of the pilon jumping when the mail boat exits...the kids love the churnned up water and I've always though how fun that looks but haven't had the courage to try.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #8
Phantom

I for one could not give a hoot if you jump off the dock, pilon or roof -- jump & miss your a mess (it won't be me or any of my family).

I also understand traditions (remembering back to college "Frat" days) -- doesn't make them sane or right!!

However last week-end I personally watched an adult (term used loosely) trying to encourage what appeared to be their 5-6 year old daughter "to jump"!! The little girl wanted no part of it but the father kept insisting as (what must have been her older brother's & sisters/ friends) were jumping off beside her. I couldn't bear to watch so we continued through the NWZ and left!

Okay, now you can skewer the newbie
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
JayDV

Default Are legal safety laws saner than the action they protect?

In all my 52 yrs I only missed getting to Jolly Island 2 years for my summer vacation. This year and last year. Every year since I was old enough to swim from the "deep" side of the mail boat dock (parental rule) I jumped into the propwash of the mailboat (I remember 3 of them). When old enough to shimmy up the pilons I jumped from there and had mot missed a year since. Some of the kids jumping would point to their parents, look at the old guy, but as it turned out, the parents used to jump along side me all those years ago.

Vacation traditions, just as any other kind, are key to aiding familes to vacation in the same place year after year (do we have to go there again? vs. I can't wait to come back next year, why is it so long to wait?). My son had heard the stories from Granpa (my dad) and also from me and saw me jump. And his right of passage came 7 years ago and he still enjoyed jumping.

I know there are safety issues on this roof jumping at Bear Isl (done also at Jolly - shhhh) but all of us that did/do it really were careful for a bunch of reasons, and not least of all was a 40 minute ride to the emergency room if needed, and not always a nice sunny day boat ride to the main dock, the walk to the car, then ride to Laconia Hospital.

As in any activity anywhere, people should use their own judgement (hopefully good).

Jay
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
ITD

The problem here is the litigious society we live in. We are constantly reminded on TV by ambulance chasing lawyers that "if you are injured, you have a right to compensation" educating would be clients as well as potential jurors.

Jumping off a roof into the water is not one of the brighter things to do, even if it is tradition, everyone knows that (or should). The problem is when one of these people trips or misjudges and ends up on the dock with a broken neck or worse, the town or owner ends up getting sued. You know, it's all good fun until someone loses an eye. I'm surprised this hasn't been stopped before.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #11
Islander

I believe the bear post office is under consideration to be registered as a national historic site. I'm more worried about damage to the building from a leaky roof. People that jump off roofs can take their own chances.

Plus a roof leak could damage the library inside the post office.

Last edited by Islander; 09-14-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #12
jkjoshuatree

Cool Grumpy Old Men...

When I was about ten or eleven a grumpy old man (who shall remain nameless) pulled my dad aside one day at the maildock and asked if he knew about his sons jumping off the roof.

"Yes", my dad replied.

"And what are you gonna do about it?", asked the grumpy old man.

"Nothing." said my dad.

It is a tradition that I've been doing for over 25 years and I hope it doesn't stop. However, this summer there were a lot of dangerous jokers being extremely reckless.

I guess this is just one of those arguments that could go on for a while.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #13
jkjoshuatree

Exclamation I've been thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
I believe the bear post office is under consideration to be registered as a national historic site. I'm more worried about damage to the building from a leaky roof. People that jump off roofs can take their own chances.

Plus a roof leak could damage the library inside the post office.

I've been thinking about this a lot and this would make the most sense. I certainly would not jump off a National Historic Site, but I'll continue to jump (using good judgement of course-like I have for decades) until it does become one.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:06 AM   #14
glennsteely

Default Does anyone ever jump off the bridge at the Weirs??

We used to jump off that bridge all the time.....there was a lot less boat traffic back then. We could only go 1 time and then you would have to boogie onto the beach and mix with the crowd, because the "blue lights" were looking for us....fun days!!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:04 AM   #15
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree
.... a grumpy old man ......

Hey, you sound like my kids... just kidding.

I guess I would have no problem with this if the participants or their guardians signed a waiver saying they would refuse insurance payments, state and or federal aid or assistance and any right to sue anyone should they be injured while jumping off this roof. They could sign this waiver and then pay a small fee to cover wear and tear on the roof, if they get injured it would be their problem, not everyone elses. This would truly be "live free or die". Like I said before, its all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then we all end up paying.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:18 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Winnipesaukee Gardens

Back when Jane Irwin ran the pizza bar off the Winnipesaukee Garden, people use to make bets on who will jump off the roof! I was one of them. I would jump off the lower roof next to the gas dock. Easy way to pay for the night. Off course everyone had to 'hide' me when the police came to investigate.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #17
jkjoshuatree

Talking Glennsteely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsteely
We used to jump off that bridge all the time.....there was a lot less boat traffic back then. We could only go 1 time and then you would have to boogie onto the beach and mix with the crowd, because the "blue lights" were looking for us....fun days!!

We used to jump off the Weirs bridge too. It's just part of growing up. "Boys will be boys" I guess. Sure it was reckless and probably stupid, but it sure was fun too.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #18
Bear Lover

ITD

How many guards will be posted on the dock to make sure everybody that jumps has a signed waver and has paid their fee? Who is paying these guards?

If somebody is injured the towns liability insurance company writes a check. However roof shingles are not designed to have hundreds of teenagers running across them. A few shingles come loose and you will have serious water damage over the winter.
Bear Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 AM   #19
Woodsy

Maybe its me, but its not like shingle replacement is that expensive... I don't think the building should be a historic building... mainly because of the impact on the neighborhood that would have. Ask anyone who has had to deal with a "Historic" commission... its not fun!

It just seems to me that one by one, anything that can be remotely construed as dangerous is restricted or banned. I guess there is very little personal responsibility left in the USA. Thats truly a shame!

Woodsy

PS: I never got to jump off the roof or dock... but I do have a penchant for rope swings... LOL! I am sure they will be next to be banned!
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:22 AM   #20
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Litigation and our society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Hey, you sound like my kids... just kidding.
{snip} Like I said before, its all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then we all end up paying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
If somebody is injured the towns liability insurance company writes a check.
I've selected the 2 quotes above to illustrate the real issue. First let me agree with what I think is most peoples sentiments; that it's 1 thing to be damaging the property via the action and it's another to cave into the demands of our "litiginous society". The former is (IMHO) a fair reason to prohibit jumping while the latter is not. The problem is that when someone does something and get's hurt then "we" cave in and pay. This is what has to stop ! When people are held accountable for the results of their actions and don't get a free pass, the hue & cry over insurance payments will stop and hopefully the silliness over restricting peoples freedom of choice (however questionable) as well. Last I knew there were people serving on the juries that award the silly judgements so the power lies within "us" to change what is now the status quo. Pogo ("I've meet the enemy ...) was correct !
Old 09-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #21
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
ITD

How many guards will be posted on the dock to make sure everybody that jumps has a signed waver and has paid their fee? Who is paying these guards?

If somebody is injured the towns liability insurance company writes a check.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it would be impractical to do. At least by making it illegal there will be some defense against litigation when someone gets hurt. You know except for the litigation and potential damage aspects, I really don't have a problem with people jumping (no I haven't done it myself). Actually I'm a little torn about another law to protect us, except for defense, protection of liberties and basic services (highways and plowing) government is not supposed to be a caretaker for its citizens and when it tries, it is not very good at it.

As far as the insurance company paying, actually it's you and I paying, via premiums and taxes, there's no free ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee or was it Mac
Last I knew there were people serving on the juries that award the silly judgements so the power lies within "us" to change what is now the status quo. Pogo ("I've meet the enemy ...) was correct !

I agree with everything you said, part of the problem is our country is being run by lawyers.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #22
Merrymeeting

Default Merrymeeting too

It happens everywhere. There is a cove on Merrymeeting that used to have a rope swing. For at least 30+ years, lake residents enjoyed the use of the swing. It was a fun place for families to go, a place to meet other neighbors on the lake, and good, clean fun. Steep slope that allowed you to climb high for a great swing, and slope that continued beyond the waterline insuring deep water so no one got hurt.

Unfortunately, a few years ago, the swing was cut down. After being put back up several times by others, the land owners finally cut down the trees so it could not be restored. The story was that the owners had been convinced that they would be liable if anyone was hurt...most likely correct information.

Many years later, it is still missed....

The swing will always be a part of one of my most memorable lake memories.

17 years old, in a boat with several of my buddies, watching a similar boat full of similarly aged females using the swing. One healthy passenger in the female boat reached the apex of her swing, let go, suspended 15 feet over the water, arms high in the air, when her bikini top let go....

As Bob Hope would say, "Thanks for the...."
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #23
jkjoshuatree

Talking Merrymeeting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
The swing will always be a part of one of my most memorable lake memories.

17 years old, in a boat with several of my buddies, watching a similar boat full of similarly aged females using the swing. One healthy passenger in the female boat reached the apex of her swing, let go, suspended 15 feet over the water, arms high in the air, when her bikini top let go....
I'm not kidding when I say that, minus the bikini top letting go (unfortunately-he he), I've had that same memory on countless summer days.

The rope swing is definitely in my top five lake memories.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #24
GTO

Default rope swing

how about putting a rope swing from the Weirs Beach bridge